Pleasant View B&B
Henry Whipple House(Bristol)(Great Value!)
US$125
Official Site
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Spent 3 nights at Pleasant View B&B with my 84 yr. old mother. It was the 1st B&B for my mother and Heidi went out of her way to please her. She even bought a flavored creamer to have for our next two mornings for my mom as she was disappointed with only the halfnhalf offered.
Some interesting history behind this renovated B&B and the sleds on all the walls really intrigued my mom. She just couldn't understand why they would be on the bedroom walls too - old people, lol! Breakfast was nicely done and wine in the evenings is a very nice surprise. Note: there our two friendly dogs on site and adults only allowed. Country style decor with handmade quilts (that's why no luggage allowed on them) on the bed. Free Wifi, Nice big hot tub outside. Large cable/satellite TV in living room.
We really enjoyed our stay with many guest from Europe while we were there. Thanks Heidi for being gentle with my mother. I would stay again if ever up that way again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed having a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lorettajeanNashville
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We spent a weekend here in late August for my birthday and retirement celebration. We love the charm and friendliness of bed and breakfasts, and this one was great. It is located in a rural area with great views and proximity to shopping, sightseeing and great restaurants. Heidi is a great hostess and the place is pure country warmth, clean and comfortable! And, did I say that breakfast was amazing??? We met several other couples and enjoyed some beverages on the gorgeous wrap around porch. We are going back this weekend, and we can't wait!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jaxtcr
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I am very familiar with the Newfound lake area as our family vacationed there for years but was completely unaware of this gem. A lovely b&b just slightly off the lake edge (but near a great icecream place called Frostys!) Very near Wellington State Park as well. Very well maintained, very quiet and comfortable with many corners to retreat and read. Some rooms have their own decks on the second floor. Friendly operators, lovely breakfast. All in all a first class experience. Were there for a wedding and would definitely go back for a few days of R&R.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanaCeltic
theinnwench, Owner at Pleasant View B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Thank you for your kind words and I am very glad to hear you had a nice time. At Pleasant View, our goal is make sure you have a welcoming stay, clean room, relaxing time. Hopefully, on your return visit, you will be able to stay longer than one night. We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were in the area for a wedding on Aug 10, 2013. Storms moved through our path as we drove up and we were delayed by about 2 hours, although still within check-in time. When we were 2 hours out I called to let Heidi know we were on our way but might be a little late depending on weather conditions we might have ahead of us. She said she didn't have reservations for us. I told her when I called and made the reservations for room 6, and that she verbally confirmed, but I didn't get a confirmation letter. She looked further into her computer and "found" us, reserved for one night. The website states a 2 night stay over weekends, which is what I booked, and she was able to provide room 6 for us for 2 nights. We arrived right before the end of check-in after having to go back into town for directions to the Inn as our GPS took us to the wrong place. There is very spotty cell phone signal in the entire area--not the Inn's fault, just fyi.

Upon arrival Heidi was friendly, but business-like. She told us there is a framed list of policies (rules) in the room and we should read them. This was a full sheet of paper with one rule after another. An extra person brought into your room for any reason, even briefly, is an extra charge, any sort of stain or mark you leave behind will be an extra charge to your bill, even after you leave. A note on the bed told us not to put luggage on the quilt. I glanced at the list of rules and we carefully took the quilt off the bed and folded it, and put it aside. We were afraid to get too comfortable in this place. In the bathroom is a brown washcloth with a note for women to use this when removing make up. (!) More notes with rules were found in the common areas of the Inn.

In the morning I had to do my nails. In an effort to find a flat surface I went into the dining room. It was dark so I turned on the lights, put napkins under my nail polish and did my nails without incident. A few minutes later Heidi came in to start the day and greeted me with "Something I can do for you?" rather than a friendly hello. When I told her we had trouble connecting to the wifi and asked about a password, rather than just telling me what the password was, she said "It's on the policy list, about 3/4 of the way down. I told you to read it." Obviously I left the room as I felt I was not supposed to be there and had now been scolded for asking a simple question. That list is long and hard to read in the fancy font its written in. Went back to the room, found the password. When we came back to the Inn later that morning, the room had been straightened out with the quilt and note back on the bed. Again, we took it off so we didn't make any mistakes and get an extra charge on our card. Also, my purse which was on one of the chairs and had been removed to the floor.

Overall the Inn is clean but in a state of being fixed up. The breakfasts were good, but nothing special compared to other B&Bs. We stay in B&Bs exclusively (for over 20 years) and this is not a place we would return to. Not open and friendly, no family feel, too many rules. They are clearly in it for the business. Although Don, Heidi's husband, was much easier to talk to and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ilka L

I am sorry you had had such a disappointing time at Pleasant View, and wish you would have come to me directly so I could have fixed the issues/problems right away.

It pains me to come into this forum to address these issues.

As clearly stated on the inn's website, it is highly recommended that you NOT use your GPS to find the inn, as GPS puts you on the opposite end of the road. That is why there are explicit directions on the website.

The policies are set up for the safety and comfort for guests, the innkeeper, as well as the building. Due to an unfortunate incident a few years ago, where a registered guest allowed a "friend" upstairs, who proceeded to break into rooms and steal. Because of that, my insurance company requires me to only allow registered guests on the second floor.

Keeping luggage off the quilt keeps the cost of the rooms down (due to cleaning), however, more important, bed bugs are transmitted by luggage. No where does it state that you need to take the quilt off the bed. As for the cleaning fee, I have noticed more and more establishments going this route - again, it helps keep the cost of the rooms down. I understand accidents happen and do my best to get them clean. However, there are incidents when walking into a room after someone has checked out, where an entire bottle of red wine has been spilled, or nail polish on a nightstand that has been left to dry. This incidents usually require furniture to be replaced or carpets professionally cleaned.

I typically do not find people in the dining room at 6 am so my concern was that there was something wrong.

The wash cloths in the bathrooms are black and a lot of women appreciate that little touch.

And the inn is not in an overall state of being fixed up. There is currently an addition being built which does not hamper the guests in any way.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Lots of rules to abide by!....The night I checked in there was no hot water. This was particularly disappointing after a long,hot day on the road. The proprietors were not on site nor was I able to contact them on their cell phone. Directly across the road are some very noisy neighbours making the view and ambiance from the hotel porch neither pleasant or peaceful.
I was in Bristol to collect my 8 year old grandson from summer camp. The proprietor would not let him stay with me for one night! Strange policy.....She made no effort to help me find alternative accommodation in spite of fact my arm was broken and in a cast. Unpleasant experience. Would not recommend and certainly would not return.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bonnie225
theinnwench, Owner at Pleasant View B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

It's unfortunate she chose to stay here. There was hot water upon her arrival. And when we found out there was none, we IMMEDIATELY fixed the problem. When she came to our residence, we were not there as we had stepped out for dinner. She never called my cell phone. When we returned, another guest found me and told me about the hot water issue and was fixed then.

As for the 8 year old................Pleasant View has always had a policy that does accommodate children under 18 - no exceptions. Not even for one night. It is clearly stated on my web site and when people call to book a room, I verbally tell them that I do accommodate children under 18. She TOLD me she was going to bring her 8 year old grandchild to stay that night - and I politely informed her about the inn's policy - and I did offer to find her alternate accommodations. She promptly put her hand in my face and told me "You have made your point".

I can not speak for the noisy neighbors. Everyone has some.