“Great food and friendly service.”
Review of Stix - CLOSED

Stix
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The food at Stix is great. I had bacon, egg, cheese on a bagel, and it was the biggest breakfast sandwich I've ever had. The service was friendly and the decor is pretty cool too. This place has character. I will definitely eat there again when I'm up that way.

Reviewed 9 February 2011

I go to the Stix all the time ~ love this place. Doesn't look like anything special from the outside, but I haven't been disappointed with the food or service yet. Definately the best breakfast place around.

Reviewed 20 July 2010

I love the stix restaraunt the food is great, the service is wonderful, and that waiter, sean puts a smile on my face. I ordered the green mountain sandwich and it was to die for. of course i ordered this under sean's recomendation. the atmosphere was great, but i think the deer heads were disturbing. sean talked me into the best mimosa of my life.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

The prior reviewer's comment that the service can sometimes be 'slow' is certainly an understatement!

Went to the Styx recently hoping for a quick casual breakfast with two friends before doing some hiking in the Campton area, since there are few breakfast options in the area. We were looking for basic, edible breakfast fare in a casual place.

Neither quick nor edible were in the cards for us.

Having been seated it took 20 minutes to take drink orders (just coffee and juice), and 15 minutes later coffee (but no juice) came back; we asked if we could put in our order and the waiter (who seemed to be the only waiter) said he'd be back in a minute, which was more like another 15 minutes. Took our orders (still no juice) -- basic eggs and pancakes, home fries, etc. 30 minutes later the orders all came back - - and all were "old and cold." Largely inedible (cold just doesn't work for eggs or pancakes). Having now been there for well over an hour we tried unsuccessfully to flag down the waiter just to get the check, pay and leave, but that just didn't seem to work. He finally said he'd get us the check in "a minute." Yes, time was moving in a weird slow time-warp that day, because after another 20 minutes of non-activity, one person in our party got up and followed the waiter and insisted on the check, and it was finally forthcoming.

It truly was so bad as to be comical. Once we accepted that an edible breakfast was not happening, we observed the rest of the restaurant, and it was clear that we were certainly not being singled out for bad service! Two women in the table next to ours were also amazed by how bad the service was, and asked us laughingly if the food was worth the wait. Alas, that was not to be the case! But there was some friendly camaraderie in sharing in the experience. Honestly, I would not have been surprised if a camera crew came out and said it was all a joke for a "gotcha" TV show. The friends I was with, and I, are easy going and would not easily complain about a restaurant, particularly a very casual breakfast place, where we were in shorts and t-shirts and just looking for the most basic edible food, but this experience was beyond the pale. We certainly had lots of laughs about it on our hike, which was the plus side of the experience.

Breakfast options are few in the area - - though I would go to the Mobil gas station in Campton for food before going back to the Styx for breakfast -- but there are good lunch options close by- - specifically Mad River Tavern and Sunset Grill, as well as lots of places in Waterville or Plymouth.

1  Thank gs2230
Reviewed 31 December 2009

I went there with my daughter today. Never again. The service was slow and rude. They were slow to clear tables and were just standing around or taking several trips to get one table cleared and ready. It took 15 minutes just to get a cup of coffee once seated. It wasn't like they were slammed, in fact there was empty tables. When the food came it was barely warm. The bacon I ordered was several small broken pieces, not quite bacon bits but what should have been a strip was more like 5 or 6 little pieces. One family of 6 was told that because they were so many that their order wouldn't be taken for some time and that maybe they should leave. The waitress actually stood there waiting for an answer. In the same amount of time, she could have taken their order. There is more to this, but lets just say what I saw was rude and really inappropriate. I have never written something like this and am not a critical person, but this was so bad I felt I needed to. I am a local and always try to promote local business, but not this time.

1  Thank UnhappyLocal