“Great way to see life during the French-Indian War time period”
Review of The Fort at #4

The Fort at #4
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We specifically chose to visit Fort No. 4 for two reasons: one, we wanted to add New Hampshire to our list of states visited and two, we've been studying the beginnings of the USA and this covers a time period hard to find elsewhere.

The costumed volunteer docents were very informative and engaging. Going in the fall as we did is an excellent time to avoid crowds and have personal attention! It was great to be able to see firsthand what it would have been like to have lived "on the frontier" back in the 1700s before the Revolutionary War!

Seems a little high priced, but I also understand how hard it must be to maintain the fort.

1  Thank FarmRescueVolunteer

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was at this fort for it's Revolutionary War weekend, and got to see a "battle" and walk around the "camp." I was with friends who have 9 year old twins, and the twins loved it. I also enjoyed walking around in the fort buildings and talking with the re-enactors. I don't know what it is like when there is no event going on, but I imagine it is still enjoyable.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Traveling through Vermont my son begged to go to NH, just to say we'd been there. 2 miles inside the state line we stumbled on The Fort at #4. We've visited many forts but this was my 10 year old favorite. I think b/c it was so easy to picture what their life was like and how they had to live to protect themselves/each other. I loved that my 5th grader really "got it". Textbooks just don't have this kind of impact. There was a wonderful gentleman in Indian costume that spoke to us at length and was very knowledgable - the kids loved him. Doesn't take long...maybe 2 hours, but if you're in the neighborhood and you like history this is a great stop. Our kids are 11 &10 and they really enjoyed it.

1  Thank Bouffie
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

IF YOU ARE ALREADY IN THE AREA, it is a great detour to check out Fort # 4. It's an easy stop via Charleston and its well worth the cost. It's educational, convenient and a very cool glimpse into 18th century New England life. At one point it was the edge of the frontier and looking across the CT river you can envision how close it was must have felt to the end of the known (or at least safe) world.

Definitely suggest going. Plan in spending about an hour there!

1  Thank Geoff B
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The history of this fort is very interesting but since it had been raining the day we went none of the tour guides wanted to come to work! So the lady at the counter gave us a quick overview but we had to tour the fort on our own with no one telling us what we were looking at. So, do go, but not on a raing day!