“Always a good choice.”

Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Irish, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Concord's choice for quality food, top-notch service, and fresh local micro-brews. Located across the street from the State Capitol, The Barley House is a popular spot for business lunches, parties, after-work crowds, and culinary pleasure seekers.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The lil lady and I have happily visited The Barley House a number of times and every time is better than the last. Super consistent, delicious and fresh. Every year they are voted best burger, best server, best bartender, among many other accolades and they deserve them all. Some of thee best burgers I've ever had, especially the Hangover; I am a sucker for an egg on a burger. The fries are perfect, humus is fresh and flavorful, their Cuban is very good, service is top notch and the music creates a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Great New England decor with terrific views of the Capital. Great for a quiet lunch on weekdays and tons of fun at night. When ever in the downtown Concord area, this Main Street mainstay never disappoints.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We live in the Concord area and have to say that the Barley House is one of our go-to restaurants when cooking doesn't sound like fun. They consistently offer a diverse menu, reasonable prices and a great selection of beers and drinks from the bar. It's not necessarily a great place for young children but it is family friendly. They have a deal with the Red River Theatre for a dinner and a movie package that we've taken advantage of several times. Service is usually quite good. The atmosphere is upbeat and friendly. It's a very nice place to eat!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been here a few times and mostly enjoy the atmosphere. It's so inviting, A bit dark when you enter, but reminds me of an old Irish pub (of sorts), so it makes me think there's always going to be something good going on.
The wait staff are really nice and accommodating.
I go here for the hamburger. They've got stuff I don't care to cook myself and they do it right. At times they've been so busy that it's a very long wait to get a table. So, if you think it might be busy, call ahead.
There is a bar and 2 additional dining rooms. Every time I've been there it's been pub quiz night. The bar is only separated by a doorway from the main dining area, but I didn't even know something was going on until I left. They do a really good job of separating the two areas.
I guess the only negative I have for this place is that the wait time for your food is pretty long. Waiting at least half an hour for your dinner is the norm here. That's why I didn't give them 5 stars. I'm glad my food is cooked, good and warm when I get it, but half an hour is the shortest amount of time I've waited here. That's too long. By the time our food came the last time I was ready to go- it was almost an hour and the place wasn't even that busy. But, if your here for an after work drink- the barkeeper is great and he'll get you settled quickly. If you're here for date night, you'll have plenty of time to chat.
I wouldn't say this place is kid friendly or easy to access if you have a walking disability. I think it is handicapped accessible, just not easily accessible. Also, it's always a little cold in the large dining room so bring a light sweater- even in the summer.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Barley House is classic pub with the added bonus of fantastic service!

We live their fish and chips and buffalo tenders ! They make the common place seem uncommonly delicious! Just the place to pop in for a quick bite or cocktail before a movie or after work!

Never disappoints!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This husband and wife owned restaurant/tavern is the best place in Concord for pub food and drink. A variety of seasonal beers and ales along with good food means you'll never go wrong here. When busy the service can be a bit slow but not excessivly so.

Been to The Barley House? Share your experiences!