“Handicappers Beware”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Concord
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Handicappers Beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Reserved & confirmed a handicap-accessible room for my 103 y.o. Mum and me in a block reserved for a family wedding party. Assigned room NOT accessible. Reported to desk clerk. All she wanted to do was tell me about a different handicapper room that had been cancelled by SOMEBODY (emphasis: hers). She yelled and continued to yell when I said to get off that topic and fix the problem. She arbitrarily cancelled our reservation, sent us to Comfort Inn up the road. Clerk there showed me a H-A bathroom very much needed by then and called around to find us a H-A room for 2 nights. MUCH more trauma and rude behavior by B-W clerk. Hotel management has NOT responded to a letter I wrote 1.5 weeks ago. Will not consider "Worst Western" ever again... ever. Missed the rehearsal dinner because of yelling and otherwise ineffective clerk. How can that place give the joy of that dinner back to us?

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 139Lois
BWConcordNH, Manager at BEST WESTERN Concord Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Lois,

I received your letter a few days ago and placed a response in the mail yesterday.

Sept.20, 2013

I have reviewed this incident at length, spoken with all staff involved, and reviewed the security logs of when the reservation was made and when you arrived at the hotel. It is an unfortunate situation that took a turn for the worst because there was a definite misunderstanding about your reservation, complicated further by arrangements that were made by another party and then cancelled before you called and booked your reservation.

Originally, two rooms were reserved for yourself and your mother, a standard room and a handicap accessible room that were connecting, affording you the number of beds you needed and the facilities you needed for your 103 year old mother. These were later cancelled and the hotel was informed that you would be making your own traveling decisions. These are the rooms that our clerk was referring to as cancelled.

On April 26th, 2013 you called and booked a single room for yourself and your mother. During the conversation the clerk offered you a choice between a standard room with two queen-sized beds, or a handicapped room with a king-sized bed. During that conversation the clerk specifically informed you that our handicap accessible rooms were better suited for space with a wheelchair, but they only have a single king-sized bed in them. You opted for the room with two queen-sized beds, which we do not have available with mobility accessible features. I can tell you she clearly described the difference between the two room types, and I have offered your family and yourself to view the recording so that you can hear exactly what was said. Somehow you misinterpreted what the clerk stated to you when you were booking the reservation, which seems to be the root of this whole fiasco.

When you arrived the hotel was completely sold out. None of our mobility accessible rooms were available and the room type you booked was inadequate to your needs, so the clerk found you accommodations elsewhere. While I cannot condone her behavior during your exchange with her, I cannot honestly say I would have fared any better. She was trying her best to figure out what had happened so that she could correct the situation and she reacted poorly to your attitude and behavior. I am extremely sorry that she snapped at you, and she has faced disciplinary action for her actions. But in her defense, it is not easy to keep calm when you are trying to help a hostile customer who is berating you for something that was not your fault. We all have our limits.

But back to the facts about your reservation, I have heard exactly what was said to you back on April 26, 2013 and it does not match what you stated was said to you. Somewhere there was a disconnect between what was said and what was expected, and I am at a loss to understand how it happened. You are convinced it was our mistake, just as I am convinced it was not. We failed in our attempt to resolve the situation, and I earnestly apologize to you for that. With that said, we did not promise you the room you claim you booked.

Leon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this Best Western. Stephanie at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean , the bed was extremely comfortable and they provided 4 pillows on the bed which added to a comfortable night's sleep The breakfast was tasty and the dining area was clean and attractive. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWConcordNH, Manager at BEST WESTERN Concord Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We look forward to your next visit.

Enfield, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

If you want to stay at a clean hotel, this is your place! Friendly and clean....what more can you ask for? Although right next to the highway, it is quiet as can be! I recommend this place for people traveling on vacation or business. If you have a large vehicle, the parking lot is kinda small, although I did manage to park a 48' Tractor-Trailer there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you, John, for sharing your experience. I am often in awe of how manuverable an eighteen-wheeler can be in our parking lot.

Exeter, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The housekeeping and brunch staff are terrific, but the desk needs help. Their simple mistake of not correctly booking a handicapped room became a MAJOR problem even though the solution was easy and the situation could have been quickly and simply. Apparently handicapped requests are a pattern problem; another wedding guest had the same thing happen and ended up staying elsewhere. Some retraining on how to work WITH the client to solve the problems that occur would be great, along with a better not "too bad for you" attitude would be better. The pool is wonderfully temp controlled, however, and actually available at usable times and the venue is comfortably quiet and nice area. Conditionally recommended, but if requesting special rooms be SURE to confirm early and often.

Hi Kate,

I have reviewed, extensively, the issues we had the weekend your group was here. To this day I am still not sure how the person booking the room misinterpreted was was said, but I can tell you that the desk clerk explained the differences between the two room types correctly. By the time the problem was discovered the hotel was sold out and there were no mobility accessible rooms available to switch the guest into, which made the situation even worse. It was a mess, and I wish I had been there when it all went down.

I cannot tell how many times we have gone out of our way to accommodate disabled guest, moved beds and furniture to make room for special equipment, helped with luggage and loading their vehicles, etc. Maybe I am a little passionate about it because my wife works directly with the disabled, but it hurts to think someone thinks we are uncaring about another persons needs or circumstances. I assure you that this is not the case, and my staff are distinctly aware of what is expected of them.

Fairfield, NB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel. We found it clean, comfortable and quiet. The room was nicely appointed and the beds were comfortable. The receptionist recommended a local restaurant for our dinner and gave us a coupon for a free chef's choice appetizer. The continental breakfast was excellent. Large variety and delicious. Our only complaint would be that there wasn't enough seating in the breakfast area. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for trying our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your experience.

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stay at the Best Western in Concord, NH several times each year. We are always very pleased with the value and cleanliness of the room. The beds are very comfortable. The sheets and comforter are very clean. The bathrooms are large. We appreciate and always use the refrigerator and microwave in the room. We enjoy the pool too.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank You, Michelle, for sharing your experience at our hotel. We look forward to your next visit.

connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed here for one night and upon our arrival there was a tour bus parked in front of the door to get to the office - it camped out there for approximately 1 hour. I asked the driver to move so that we could park. The jacuzzi did not work and one of the reasons we chose that hotel was pool/jacuzzi. The sofa bed for my daughter was horrible - it was like a huge bag of springs inside a torn up mattress cover. They did correct the situation and brought my daughter a roll-away bed. My daughter ended up getting lice - not sure if it was there or somewhere else. I wouldn't stay there again. The breakfast staff was EXTREMELY helpful though! It was the first time that I stayed at a Best Western and there was a letter with my name addressed on the front desk - that was nice.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I apologize that your stay was not as pleasant as it should have been. I, for one, don't believe there is such a thing as a comfortable fold-out mattress. But you were clearly right, the one in your room needed to be retired and I am sorry we did not notice it sooner.

I don't know what to say about your daughter's contraction of lice. We checked the mattresses and pillows in the room when you reported it to me, and the sheets and pillow cases were changed before and after your stay. We have had no other complaints about lice, so I don't believe that she contracted them here.

As to our jacuzzi, one of the circulator pumps died so there were no bubbles for a few days days. It had been replaced and the jacuzzi working perfectly now.

Again, I am sorry for the issues you experienced during you stay.

Leon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Comfort Inn Concord
#4 of 8 in Concord
Courtyard Concord
Courtyard Concord
#5 of 8 in Concord

Been to BEST WESTERN Concord Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!