“Rooms nice, terrible noise”

Best Western Concord Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Concord
New Bedford, United States
“Rooms nice, terrible noise”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Room and staff were very nice. If the person in the room up stairs walked across the room the ceiling in our room would make terrible sounds. The staff was friendly and gave us directions and opinions on nearby places to eat. The pool was great for the kids. If it hadn't been for the noise traveling through our room all night I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Eric L
BWConcordNH, Manager at Best Western Concord Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience and the positive remarks about our staff, they work really hard to make each guest's stay as pleasant as possible. I am sorry to hear that your sleep was less than satisfactory during your stay. We are aware that the hotel can be noisier than usual when the hotel is full, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Leon, AGM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cold Spring Harbor, New York
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The pluses:

The room was nicely appointed and clean. It had a refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and wetbar. The price of $89 which included breakfast was excellent. Breakfast had a nice wafflemaker, warm eggs, sausauges, instant oatmeals, fruits, and carbs galore. Really a nice spread for no restaurant on site. No bugs except for ants in the pool area. The pool was a very nice addition, especially if you get snowed in and have children to entertain. Very close and convenient to downtown Concord and civilization. Lots of fast food chains and a pharmacy chain store right near by so you don't feel like you are in a desolate area, like other areas in NH.

The negatives:
Front desk staff in daytime was not friendly, bordering on unapproachable. I don't think the man knew how to smile or if he did, it might crack his face. Didn't give you a warm or fuzzy feeling at all, or even a welcoming one.

The hallway and particularly the computer room off the lobby had a disgusting chemical smell about the carpet...perhaps it was newly installed? It was overwhelming in that one area.

The breakfast tea water was not hot enough to make a proper cup of tea during the weekdays and therefore, probably would not cook the instant oatmeal they had.

On our first day there, we were napping from a long drive, when someone tried to burst into our room. Thank Goodness the safety bar lock was on. It was quite scary. It turned out to be a maintenance man and after repeating himself several times, I was able to understand, through his heavy accent, that he was there about the temperature of the refrigerator. The refrigerator was working fine and we had not reported it otherwise, so I let him know we had no problems. It turns out that after a day or two the refrigerator started freezing the foods and drinks placed in it. If the hotel knew this was a problem, why didn't they give us another room or have it fixed before check-in? That was upsetting.

The other major concern I had was about the automatic doors opening right into traffic. I guess it saves them money on snow removal off a sidewalk. And we were snowed in for a day and a half and saw how fast the plow sped through that driveway. I would not stay here if you have an active toddler who runs fast, like we do.

Other minor complaints:

Ants in the pool area. Gross. I guess they found a way to escape the -5 degree weather in a nice, warm, humid area. Who would have thought ants in January in New Hampshire?

No restaurant on site. During a huge snowstorm, many local places won't deliver, so be prepared or be stuck.

Smell of waste treatment facility outside.

No grassy areas or any areas other than parking lot to walk your dog, if you bring one...and it is a concrete yard and closed up with fencing on three sides.

I did have to strip the bed (daughter spilled water on it) and was disgusted to find a stained mattress pad and they didn't have any to replace it with, so I covered it with a sheet. The front desk girl didn't tell me they didn't have anyone to bring clean linens, so I went to the main desk in my pajamas after waiting 20 minutes. Also, it was a non-smoking room, but one of the blankets had a cigarette burn in it. Gross again.

The heat made the air in the room EXTREMELY DRY that we woke with sore throats. We had to open the window to add humidity, something I wouldn't think of doing in NH in January, but I understand now why it is necessary.

All in all, I can't complain about the price and what it got us, but I wasn't particularly thrilled with all the negatives.

I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor. I could hear the mild cries of a newborn upstairs but it didn't d...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Elenicat
BWConcordNH, Manager at Best Western Concord Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Elenicat,

I am pretty sure I know when you were here by the description of the smell in the business center. We had just built the stations in business center and replaced the counter tops at the front desk and in the breakfast room, and the epoxy they used to attach the granite had an intense chemical smell to it. This left me with an intense headache and I am pretty sure I was the unapproachable person you described at the counter. I apologize for giving you that impression.

You brought up a number of things that will be address at our next staff meeting, and I thank you for bringing them to my attention. Can't fix it if we don't know it is broken, right? Many of these issues can be addresses or handled better. A few are out of our control. For example, there is a pet friendly park adjacent to the property that guests can take their pets, but at this time of year there is more than a foot of snow in it and the snowbanks at the entrances make it inaccessible.

I do thank you for your feedback though, it lets us know where we can do better.

Bucks
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed for 4 nights in a standard room whcih was nice and large. Everything worked as it should, the staff were friendly and helpful, plenty of on-site parking, free internet worked OK, breakfast was the standard slection of some hot / some cold, not excellent but adequate. Nothing close by, you have drive to find somewhere to eat, but it is not too far to downtown, whch is very attractive small American town, worth a visit.
Only negative for us was a very strong smel of smoke in the corridor outside our room which stayed for the 4 days we were there.
Overall good and we would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank woggsy
Dear Woggsy,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in the area. You would be amazed to know there are at least forty restaurants within five miles of us. Unfortunately, the closest is about a half mile away, which is further than most guests are willing to walk unless we have nice weather. There is a great little deli about a quarter mile from us, but they are only open for breakfast and lunch and are closed on the weekends.

I apologize for the smoke smell in the hallway. We only have a few smoking rooms left, and we do our best to contain the smell. Unfortunately, the odor does seep into the hallway each time one of their doors open. If you visit us again please request a room on our second floor, which is completely non-smoking and pet free.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Moo913
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I am really conflicted about this hotel...

The good:
I was surprised at how nice this hotel was for a Best Western. The lobby was well appointed and the rooms were spacious, with a very comfortable bed and higher quality linens than you usually get at a budget hotel. The front desk staff was kind and courteous. It was nice that the king suite I had feature a mini-fridge, microwave, and wet bar sink. There was a large, nice TV in the room.

The bad:
I was on the second floor and had no problems with noise until midnight when someone checked in to the room above me on the third floor. It sounded like the person was stomping around on loose boards IN MY ROOM. When they flushed their toilet, it sounded like a jet engine in my own room. I was amazed because the flooring in my room seemed solid and I never heard anything from the floor below. If you stay here and need to get good sleep, I would recommend staying on the 1st floor or the 3rd floor... definitely not the second. In addition... the hallways and elevator smelled like stale old carpet (kind of to be expected), and the sink was dirty in my room when I checked in (the person who had stayed there before seemed to have had tomato pasta...). I didn't complain about any of these things with hotel staff because I was only there for one night.

In all, the hotel was fine, especially for the price, but I would not stay here again - I would pay a little extra to stay at a nicer nearby hotel with better construction.

Room Tip: 1st or 3rd floor - the 2nd floor has noise problems because of a thin ceiling.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Moo913
Dear Moo913,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than pleasant. As the building has aged we have starting to receive complaints about overhead noise from the rooms above. I can cite several reasons for the causes, but in the end it doesn't change the fact that we aren't new anymore. We are looking to resolve the issue, but it will take a major overhaul.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you will give us another try in the future.

Bloomfield
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed there overnight while visiting family last weekend. Clean hotel, comfortable beds and my daughter enjoyed the waffles and breakfast. Staying again over the holidays and may try to enjoy some of the other amenities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear TriciaF87,

Thank you for sharing your experience, I am glad your family enjoyed their stay here and we look forward to seeing you again.

London
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Not a great fan of Best Westerns because they can be very hit and miss – a common badge yes, but being independently owned means a wide variation in quality. However, you can usually be assured you’ll get a good night’s rest in a clean, decent size room and get good value for money.

However, I found BW Concord Inn and Suites (NH), to be a cut above my modest expectations of what to find in a BW hotel. In fact, I’m surprised it hasn’t even earned the “plus” to become a slightly more elite Best Western Plus. I booked a king mini suite at $180 plus tax which delivered a large room, ok nothing special, but it was all there – microwave, refrigerator, wifi, good lighting, lots of electric plugs, decent bathroom, good heating (being November), well furnished and everything worked. I found the room pleasantly quiet and I got a great night’s sleep. There was also a heated indoor pool and I found the breakfast, which was included in the price, to be above average for a BW. Parking was also easy and downtown only a short drive away.

Well done, Best Western, in future I’ll have higher expectations!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chadsworth
Dear Chadsworth,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Our goal is to become a Best Western Plus, but there are still a few costly improvements to make before we can qualify for the Plus status. But I thank you for the compliment, we have put a lot of work into this property and your praise is proof that we are heading in the right direction. Thank You.

New England
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We've stayed here a couple of times now and would definitely come back again. The location is convenient to downtown Concord with ample parking and the place is kept pretty clean. We had a two room non-smoking suite with two Queen size beds, a sofabed, and a small kitchenette with mini fridge and microwave and were very comfortable during our stay. The front desk staff was helpful and the included breakfast is pretty good (the kids loved the automated pancake machine), but it gets a bit crowded at times. :D Strong range and signal with the hotel wifi in our room, which I've found to be unreliable at other places.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Horost
Dear Horost,

Thank you for sharing your comments. It sound like your family had a wonderful stay. I am sorry to say we have discontinued the pancake machine, the majority of our guests seemed to prefer waffles over pancakes and we were discarding unused pancake batter at the end of each day. One of the cons about that machine was once it was loaded the batter has to be used or tossed.

You are right, the breakfast room can get a bit crowded. We do our best to compensate when it is busy and open our meeting room for additional seating. It can definitely be a challenge when everyone comes down at the same time. It is like going to a popular diner, sometimes you have to wait for a table to open up.

I am glad your family enjoyed you stay and we look forward to seeing you again.

Leon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Comfort Inn Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord
Fairfield Inn Concord
Fairfield Inn Concord
#4 of 8 in Concord

Been to Best Western Concord Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!