“Smells like cigarettes”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Concord
Grapevine, Texas
“Smells like cigarettes”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

From the lobby, through the elevator, to the hallway on the 3rd floor, and permeating our non-smoking room, the entire hotel smells like cigarette smoke.

The room itself is fine, the lobby staff friendly and helpful, the Wifi is free but slow.

And we'll have to wash everything when we leave this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Susan O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Concord, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I am sorry to hear that the smell of smoke permeated so much of your stay. We do have all our smoking rooms confined to one wing of one floor of the hotel but sometimes the odor does spread to other areas. We have been discussing and trying to find solutions for the smoking issue.
I'm glad that you found you room acceptable and the staff friendly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The location of this Hotel is great. The rooms were nice and felt like they were pretty recently renovated.
The reason for my title comes from the following odd experience:
I always inspect rooms where I stay and bathrooms are no exceptions. After closing the bathroom door and leaving the room to go eat and drink at the nearby "Common Man" (good food, good beer and great service!).
Returning to my room I found that I was unable to open the bathroom door. I immediately thought that I was dumb enough to lock myself out of the bathroom. The young lady from the front desk was quick to respond and came up to the room to try and unlock the door. After unsuccessfully trying to reach the maintenance personal and trying with both the young lady, and the young man from the front desk to pick the lock, I ended up brushing my teeth with a complimentary kit the front desk gave me in the lobby bathroom. (The hotel fully booked and could not offer me a different room)
The next morning maintenance found that the latch had snapped and I was not as dumb as I had first thought.
I guess it was the luck of the draw that this happened to me and I sincerely appreciate the hotel staff trying to help. I only wish there would have been a responsive on call maintenance worker.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I'm glad to hear that your room met your initial expectations and I apologize that we were unable to fix your broken door in a timely manner.
I hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have stayed here like five times before because of location to shopping and with kids it's nice to have great indoor pool and free breakfast. It's clean, nice staff and normally a quiet easy stay. This time room was on main floor by highway, seemed like cars going to drive through room - be sure to ask for room not on 1st floor by highway. Also seem to have changed pillows - now the size of tiny chicklets. Not sure what happened here - not what usually have. Also had "young men" swimming in pool, extremely loud and not child appropriate language - in underwear and dreads.
Really? Front desk is right by pool there is NO WAY the girl on duty couldn't hear them. Such a strange stay, if I hadn't stayed there multiple times before without issue I would never go back! But I have been there multiple times before and will stay there again. Normally the staff is stellar and never had indecent guests or noise issues before. Special kudos to the lady running breakfast who told a guy he had to wear shoes in breakfast area...appreciated!

Room Tip: Stay away from highway side
1 Thank Jenny J
Sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. It is often hard to tell from the desk if swimmers are just enjoying the pool or if they are being overly rambunctious and inappropriate.
I am glad to hear you will give us another chance and I will discuss solutions with the front desk, obviously the situation you encountered was not the norm. Thank you for letting us know.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Beautiful property. Great breakfast. Coffee offered 24/7.
Disappointed there was no work out room. The 'yoga' room was not a substitute.
Very clean and welcoming.
From our room, though, we could hear the traffic on the freeway.
Desk clerks were always helpful, friendly and cheerful.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the freeway, then enjoy!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Susan O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Concord, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay. I am glad to hear that your room was clean and comfortable. Next time you are here be sure to ask the front desk about the fitness room options, we do have a sister property nearby.
Prince Edward Island, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

After a long day of travel, the Comfort Inn Concord, NH was a wonderful find. Very welcoming, clean, comfortable, and pet friendly. Excellent complimentary full breakfast. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that you found our hotel clean and comfortable. We hope to see you again soon!
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My husband and I stayed 1 night at this hotel and it was HORRIBLE!! When we called to make the reservation, I specifically asked 3 times if the room we were reserving was a non smoking room because my husband is highly allergic to cigarette smoke and I was assured 3 times that the room was a NON smoking room. We got to the hotel and were given our room which was on the 3rd floor, we opened the door and the smell of cigarette smoke was overwhelming..there were ashtrays on the dresser and burn holes in the comforter. We immediately went down to the desk and inquired as to the room and it was confirmed that we were put in a smoking room. I let them know that we could not stay in the room due to my husbands allergies. The manager Amanda was called to assist us - she told us that there was a softball tournament going on and they were booked solid and there was nothing she could do for us. I told her that I confirmed 3 times that we had a non smoking room and her reply to that was that we booked through a 3rd party so there was nothing she could do and that we should have called their hotel directly to make the reservation. My thinking is that whether I book through a 3rd party like Priceline, Trip Advisor, etc.. or call their hotel directly, I have made a contract with Comfort Inn. If they don't plan on honoring these 3rd party reservations then they shouldn't let them book their rooms!! I explained to her that my husband and I had just rode our motorcycles 240 miles, it was late, we were tired and we needed a place to stay and her attitude was pretty much "Oh well!" She suggested that we call the 3rd Party that we booked the room with and complain to them and with the softball tournament in town.. all the hotels were booked so "Good Luck".

We couldn't sleep due to the room smelling like a giant ashtray, the pillows are these little squares of what seem to be pieces of foam and are just awful.. they need to invest in real pillows and add the kids running up and down the hall slamming their doors until midnight (I don't blame this on the hotel... I blame it on the parents that were allowing their children to do this at that late hour) made for a horrible experience. My husband was sick for the next few days due to his allergy to cigarette smoke. NEVER again!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly DON'T use a 3rd Party (such as Orbit, Price Line etc) and DON'T let...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I apologize for the confusion with your reservation. Unfortunately, some reservations that we receive through third party websites come through to us incorrect or are reserved as one of our smoking room despite the guest preference. The front desk makes every effort to correct these type of errors but when we are full we have few options.
As you noted, it is always a good idea to confirm your reservation directly with the hotel. We hope that you will give us a chance in the future to provide you with a stay that meets your expectations.
Wentworth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stay here frequently. It is always spotlessly clean (even the lobby in winter), everything is well-maintained and if something is broken, then they fix it right away. The rooms are spacious with comfortable beds, good lighting, and lots of outlets. Over the years, there have been many upgrades. The staff is the amongst the friendliest I've encountered in all my travels. In my book, they set the standard. This stay was like all others...warm greeting, clean, comfortable room, no problem with a late checkout...just about perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Susan O, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Concord, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Keeping everything clean and well maintained can be a difficult task, we truly appreciate when guests notice the hard work that our team puts in. Thank you for taking the time to let us, and others, know about your experience.
We hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Best Western Concord Inn & Suites
#4 of 8 in Concord
Residence Inn Concord
Residence Inn Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord

Been to Comfort Inn Concord? Share your experiences!