“Amazing Experience!”
Review of Centennial Hotel

Centennial Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Concord
Reviewed 27 February 2014

When we checked a review, like some reviews, it was deceiving, and we almost didn't stay here for our Anniversary. We were pleasantly greeted by Peter, at the desk, who loves his job and was very accomodating and nice. The whole experience was exactly what we had hoped for. Great room, comfy bed, robes, slippers and quiet! We thought the restaurant was the best restaurant we had been to in a very long time and we enjoyed dinner and breakfast there. We loved it so much, that we decided to stay another night! We even got the most yummy lemon squares in our room when we got back from shopping. Thank you for a fantastic time. My new favorite place, only 2 hours from home.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kris S
Granite_96, General Manager at Centennial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Centennial Hotel and Granite Restaurant & Bar. I am so thrilled to hear that you spent your anniversary with us and then decided to stay another night! We are truly lucky to have such a beautiful upscale boutique hotel and fine dining Restaurant in the Concord area. Our hotel is one of many beautiful options in the Hay Creek Hotel portfolio. Visit our website at haycreekhotels.com. We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 7 February 2014

What a wonderful hotel in the heart of Concord. The rooms are well appointed, including robes and slippers, spotless, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. From the time we walked in to the time we left, everything was perfect. The cupcakes left by the bedside were delicious and such a treat compared to the usual chocolate candies many places use. Ours were gingerbread with a lemon cream frosting! Even nicer was the fact that we were staying there to avoid driving during a snow storm while awaiting surgery at Concord Hospital the next day. The have a discounted rate for patients, a courtesy that was greatly appreciated. The hotel is less than 5 minutes to the hospital and because we were so close, we could actually get a good night's sleep before my surgery. The restaurant in the hotel is amazing! Please be sure to dine there during your stay. We can't say enough about the hotel and hope that you will stay there when you are traveling to the city.

Room Tip: We were in the queen single on the front of the building. Even though it faces the street, it was v...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Granite_96, General Manager at Centennial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent visit to the Centennial Hotel. I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in "surprising and delighting" our guests and it appears that you had that exact experience. I hope your surgery went well. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you have a chance to visit again under better circumstances.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I scheduled a one night getaway for a little R&R away from our kids last night. From the other reviews, we had high expectations and traveled 2 hours from home to stay in Concord.

On our arrival to the hotel at noon on Saturday 1/18, we walked through the doors and were greeted (if you want to call it that) by a heavyset man (no name tag or I would include his name) who seemed surprised to see us and informed us that check in was not until 3pm and that he is "so sick of people who show up early and expect to check in early". I informed him that I called twice and requested early check in and confirmed the day before that it would not be an issue. He answered with much attitude and needed the name of the person who I had spoken with. Upon actually looking up our reservation, there was a note from the manager that we had indeed called and it should not be a problem. No apology from the front desk clerk, just more attitude. It is also worth noting that there were a total of 5 cars in the parking lot when we checked in so clearly overbooking was not the problem.

The restaurant was great and the highlight of our stay. The bed was less than comfortable with rock hard pillows, no black out shades, rowdy neighbors with paper thin walls and a snow plow that started clearing the parking lot promptly at 4am. Relaxing it was not. Oh and there were stink bugs in the shower. Very odd for January in New Hampshire.

The front desk clerk upon checking out this morning (1/19) however was incredibly nice and gracious, in great contrast to the rest of our experience. I regret not getting her name but she was a petite blonde with excellent people skills.

The worst part of our stay was coming home to find we have been double charged for our room! We were told we had to provide a credit card to hold the room but would not be charged and paid cash when we left. Came home to find that our card was also charged!!! We await a call back by management.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mbartholdson
Granite_96, General Manager at Centennial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Centennial. I apologize that there was not a note in your reservation in regards to an early check-in. We do not approve early check-in's until the day of arrival as this approval comes from our Housekeeping Supervisor based on occupancy the night before and check-out on the day of arrival. Anytime we can accommodate an early check-in, we do. I truly apologize that the noise in the hotel had a negative effect on your stay, if you had reached out to the front desk, they would have been happy to help or move your room for you. Our goal is that all of our guests have an outstanding stay with us from start to finish. Katie, our Senior Front Desk Supervisor, informed me that she met with you upon departure and tried her best to address all of your concerns. She also mentioned she spoke to you this morning about the pre-authorization on your credit card. This is something we do for every guest upon check-in, the bank will release the funds within a couple of days but we are able to send in a request to have it done immediately if you would like. Again, I do apologize for your inconvenience during your stay and we look forward to your next visit with us in hopes it will be an outstanding one.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Upon check-in, the 60 year-old male receptionist humiliated my spouse for helping himself to a cup of the COMPLIMENTARY hot cocoa... My spouse is one of the sweetest men you will encounter, and a very successful economist. It really hurt to see him treated this way because the staff member was merely angry to be working the holiday. In lieu of this, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Kimberlya89
Granite_96, General Manager at Centennial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for writing about your recent visit to the Centennial. I am shocked to hear of your experience as the Front Desk Agent you are referring to is one of our most popular staff members with our guests. He goes above and beyond the call of duty and goes out of his way on a daily basis to "surprise and delight" our guests. I truly apologize that you felt this way during your visit with us. We would be thrilled if you gave us another chance to make your next visit an outstanding one!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Beautiful rooms with the highest standards of bedding, "office area" and bathroom fixtures. The staff is so courteous and professional. The Centennial is an historic building with all of the finest modern amenities. The on-site restaurants is one of the best restaurants in all of New Hampshire.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Granite_96, General Manager at Centennial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you so much for writing about your recent visit to the Centennial! I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you have a chance to come back and visit again with us. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I grew up in NH, about 20 minutes from Concord and never knew this place existed. My Husband and I were looking for a nice restaurant to go to while we were visiting family over the Holiday's, which is how we stumbled on this Inn. The room was spacious, the price was good and the staff friendly. I have stayed at many of the hotels in the area while visiting family and this is a favorite! It's very quaint and has that smaller Inn feel to it. The dinner at the restaurant was delicious, by far the best restaraunt in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for writing about your recent visit to The Centennial Hotel and the Granite Restaurant & Bar. I am thrilled to hear that you "found" us and enjoyed your stay and dining in Granite! We look forward to your next visit with us. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Hard to say enough about this spectacular hotel. Where to begin. How about this. Go on a weekend so there will be fewer politicians (Concord is the state capital not the business center)
and because that's when you have a better chance of finding Peter at the front desk), He is busy teaching school during the week. As a teacher, you know he needs the money but I got the impression that he would work there for nothing if that was the only option. He loves the place. And so will you. It didn't hurt that we got a free upgrade. Now on to the suite ,,,

Good suites have 2 rooms, great ones have 3, the greatest have that third in a round turret with a round dining table where you can get room service from arguably the finest restaurant in southern NH. I forget what the master chef calls the potatoes that he pairs with sword fish. I call them either au gratin or del monico. The point is that in over six decades wandering this earth (and yes I have been to France a couple times) I have never enjoyed the staple dish of my people (as in the emerald isle) more. Don't know his secrets, don't need to know, just need to come back some day. The sauces on everything are magical, enchanted. They offer a half serving option in case you are less than famished or if you can't decide or you want to dine tappas style. Get it? The opposite of all you can eat buffets. Masterful, start to finish.

I don't mean to ignore the hotel. Over 100 years old with an interesting history (which needs to be edited in the guest services book - - too much information - - we were on vacation not a work assignment) and we love red brick. I appreciated the free business center, morning paper and complimentary coffee. She appreciated the tiled shower and cleanliness. We both appreciated the complimentary warm sweet snack delivered to our room late afternoon. Yes, they earned all 4 stars. For us, it isn't the best hotel in Concord, it is the ONLY hotel in Concord

Room Tip: ask for a suite with a turret room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4-star-traveler1952

Thank you so much for taking the time to write in such detail about your recent visit to The Centennial Hotel and The Granite Restaurant & Bar. Our goal is to "delight and surprise" our guests during their entire visit and it sounds like that is exactly what you experienced. We are so lucky to have such a wonderful team here at the hotel. Peter loves to greet our guests and talk about the history of our hotel along with promoting dining in Granite. He loves working in hospitality! We look forward to your next visit with us. Happy New Year!