“Fooled by the "great" reviews”

Huttopia White Mountains
Stoughton, Massachusetts
“Fooled by the "great" reviews”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My family and I stayed in the Iona Cabin. I was charged the deluxe price but there was NOTHING deluxe about it. Nothing in the cabin seemed to be maintained. The lights in the kitchen did not work. The a/c was broken. The windows were broken. They couldn't provide us with a key to the front door so they said they would "keep an eye on it". Everything in the cabin smelled musty and dirty. They advertised WiFi although our cabin didn't have any reception. The cable tv stopped working. The water pressure in the shower was HORRIBLE!! They used plastic accordion doors for the 2 bedrooms and bathroom and all were broken. There were random wires sticking out of the walls, which my 20 month old tried to play with. There were bureaus in the living room that were filled with other people's clothes. There was garbage (scrap metal, broken down trailers, old bicycles) all around the outside of the cabin. And the list keeps going....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank krismor0112

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lowell, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We wanted a family camping weekend that would accommodate everyone and Pine Knoll did just that.We were a family of 10 and we rented one of the adult sites #119.We looked up every review we could find and i was almost petrified into canceling our trip but was so glad we didn't! i Don't know why most people were saying it was party central because it wasn't at all! Yes some of the seasonal's were a little run down and should be told to clean up a little but every person we saw was friendly and always greeted us with a smile and a hello.we will be definitely staying there again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed 3 nights at Pine Knoll this month with our 6 children, and had a wonderful time. Sites are very well cared for, staff very nice & helpful, beautiful swimming lake, fun activities for children (flashlight candy hunt!), prices very low & reasonable; we highly recommend Pine Knoll. To quote my 10 yr old daughter: "Best place ever!"

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Clan_8
Center Conway, New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 August 2011

This is a horrible place. Loud and full of party people. The bathroom smelled like sewage backup and in spite of my reporting to the office that there was no soap or paper towels in the ladies room, during my 2 days there this was never attended to. There were people down by the beach smoking pot in their campsites. Loudness and partying going on all weekend. Will NEVER go there again! Don't waste your money, go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank debyvan720

Travellers are raving about these Conway hotels

Boston
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Let me start off by saying we have a 1 and 5 year old joining us on this camping trip. We have been camping a few times before with us 4, but at Greenville NH. We wanted a different pace this time around; try a place with some scenic hiking. We ended up going to Pine Knoll Campground and it was the best decision we made.
When we first pulled up we were taken aback from driving down dirt one way streets to our barren camp site. Half of the camp sites were semi-perm campers who have campers/cabins set on the sites. Pulling up, we held our breath and unloaded/set up the tent. One very nice thing is we had both water and an electrical hookup (if we needed one, but since we are very minimalist we don’t need power). Having water though was a very nice touch (I hated lugging water back and forth, so this cut down my few trips). The bathrooms and showers were very clean, along with the site. For being on dirt, we saw fresh rake marks and there was zero trash around. It was a very nice touch.
People here are nice, bar none. My wife made a comment that I chatted up a storm, and yes I did. I felt comfortable (my next door neighbor Marilyn (I hope I spelt it right) and Bob was unbelievable. They loved to talk and also understood that I had one son who’s terrified of dogs (making sure that they told him when there were walking by and had the dogs leashed) but…also let my other son ride them. I felt like I was relaxing in paradise with a few nice people who at one point even brought over egg cartons to help me light up my overly wet wood (I ran out).
Place wise you are close to everything you want to see. The staff here was extremely friendly and when I called she put me up in a very nice quiet site (which is what I asked for because the last time we had our camp between two party centrals). We will stay there again and I do feel that this site was one of the best we’ve stayed at to date.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank acadian_wanderlust
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I have been going to Pine Knoll for about seven years now. I alway have a great time. I really do hate camping did I mention that??? I feel safe there even those long walks uphill to the bathroom at 3 in the morning by myself ...I have never had a problem. Everyone is friendly, owners very helpful. We normally stay on the same site and it is alway clean and raked when we get there. I love walking around the campground and seeing what the "seasonals" have done with their sites. The are alway friendly, saying hello and stopping to talk. We usually go there for long weekends and the noise hasn't been a problem for us. Those damn birds at 5:30 in the morning!!!!!!!!! LOL Maybe the owners could take care of that for me???? I think any place you go you may hit an off time...not every place you camp will be for you..try another camground. One other thing....I'm not a forty something.......we go to the campground with our 30 year old son and his 4year old.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I have been coming up for about 4 yrs, since my senior high school prom. This campground is a great place for teenager/ early adults to camp and have a good time without having the fun stop at 11. The owners are more than kind and deal with issues when they have to be dealt with, they dont make a big deal out of little things like most people want to but thats what makes them a FUN campground. All the people that dont like this campground are people who dont "camp" its not a 5star hotel its a campground, your in the woods. Get over it and stop being snobs.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank nikki13Boston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Conway
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
#10 of 30 in Conway
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Huttopia White Mountains? Share your experiences!