“Nice campground, friendly service, few issues though”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Conway
Eastern Slope Camping Area
BOSTON, MA, USA
“Nice campground, friendly service, few issues though”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We were looking to camp somewhere in the Conway area after Columbus Day. This is one of the few places that is open through October. We reserved a prime river front site. The site was really big and we had a canopy and water/electric. It doesn't really have a view of the water but you can easily walk to the beach. It was a bit expensive at $46/night but that seemed to be the going rate for that area.

Whenever we needed assistance, the staff was generally helpful and friendly.

The bathrooms, as others observed, were not cleaned often. The sinks were dirty and trash was not emptied for a few days. On the plus side, they did have soap and paper towels and the showers provided plenty of hot water. For those who are crazy like us and camp in the cold weather, be advised the bathrooms are not heated. Finally, I liked the privacy of having my own stall complete a shower.

Our biggest concern was the overflowing dumpsters which attracted bears to the campground. It was impossible to find a place to put our trash one night. The staff did chase the bear(s) away and eventually compacted the trash in the dumpsters. I would recommend just emptying the dumpsters more often.

I would definitely return. You just can't beat the location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank 2007sonata

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
charlottetown
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We rented one of the cabins...it was comfortable and the location was very convenient, but the cabin itself had not been cleaned very well. I am not sure if it was because it was the off-season and the owners were busy getting things ready for the winter or something, but the whole campground was unkept. We wanted a place with a mini fridge and microwave, and it was affordable, so I would probably go back, but wouldn't be quick to recomment it to others. We;re not picky. The owners were friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank airstreamerreddirt

Travellers are raving about these Conway hotels

FLORIDA
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We spent 2 nights here at this campground. We were lucky enough to have a spot down by the river and the campsite wasnt crowded when we were there so we were pretty much all alone on the 'beach'. The rest of the site was filed with RV's. The bathrooms on the riverside werent that great, but they had ok facilities in the middle. Having camped a lot around europe, this wasnt bad for us. However it isnt 5 stars. The people that run the place were very friendly and helpful with things to do around the area. Since it was raining we put our tent under the shelter to ensure that we didnt have any water problems so that was a nice extra :) It was a bit expensive though, esp for the 'river sites' (it was 45$), and if we would have looked around more we would have camped in the National Forest, but if you are looking for a sure steady ground, this is it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This campground is very picturesque and has some very nice campsites along the river. Unfortunately, the owner does not seem to grasp the concept of customer service.

I made a reservation to stay at this campground during the Columbus day weekend with my family. Upon making the reservation I requested permission for a late arrival (after 10pm) knowing full well that this campground does not generally allow late check-ins. The person with whom I spoke on the phone was very understanding of the fact that we were driving in from from far and that we would most probably be arriving around 11pm. I made a deal with him that I would just back-in to my spot and not even unpin my vehicle so as to not make any noise. Once we both agreed I was told to call back on the day of arrival just to make sure that our gate card would be left at the office door (since the office would be closed).

Fast forward to the day of arrival. I called the campground upon departure from my house to confirm everything as agreed upon. The lady who answered the phone told me that there are no late arrivals and that was that. I told her about the agreement that I had made with the gentleman who took my reservation upon where she passed the phone to someone else. I was immediately told by this genteleman who was now taking my call that I would just have to check in the next morning. I reminded him of the agreement that I had with the gentleman who took my reservation. It was around this point in time that his attitude became aggressive. He started arguing with me about the fact that I left too late from my location and that I would not be arriving before 1 or 2am. He repeated this countless times and would not acknowledge the agreement that I had with the campground. At this point I found out that I was speaking to the owner who did nothing to try to accept resposability for an error by one of his employees.

I can understand the strict no late check-in rule, I can even appreciate it. But there are more professional ways to treat a customer. I am a very calm and rational person but the tone of voice and the ridiculous statements he was making (claiming that it takes at least 6 hours to drive from Montreal to New Hampshire).

In a nutshell, as a customer, I made a request for an exception to the late check-in policy during my reservation. My request was granted by an employee of this campground. The owner decided to nullify the agreement that I had with his employee. Maybe if he spent less time arguing with customers and instead spent more time making sure that his employee's fully understand his rules, this would not have happened.

I don't plan on giving him any more of my money.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Agis G
Cape Cod, MA
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We have a seasonal site at Eastern Slope and continue to enjoy it more each year. Things continue to improve and there are more activities for families than ever. One of our favorite features is the two beaches that are along the river. We love to start at one beach and float on a tube to the other-this takes about 20-30 minutes depending on the water level and river current-the rope swing is also a blast!

The location is great since you are close to shopping, hiking and great local yard sales. Walking over to Leavitt's Bakery for breakfast is a must!.

The owners have continually put more money into the campground to improve the overall experience. It just keeps getting better! We see the work being done and the improvements with each visit. Different people may be looking for different experiences. If you are looking for concrete slabs that are perfectly level and indoor pools this isn't your place. If you are looking for a great experience by the river with a campfire I am sure you will like it here. We have made some friends and look forward to coming back whenever we get a chance. The owners and their team have been very accomodating and work hard to give a memorable experience. When we decided to get a seasonal site I was concerned that we would get bored going to the same place but that has not been the case.

Looking forward to heading there this weekend!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JDRCapeCod
EasternSlope, Owner at Eastern Slope Camping Area, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Thank you so much for the lovely review! We are so happy that all our efforts to constantly improve have been noticed and we are very happy that you and your family are creating memories to last a lifetime here at ESCA!
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I'm a new camper, i booked two nights at Eastern slope .when I arrived this place on Friday(two weeks after labor day), there was nobody there and the "river view" actually just a almost dry pit.
For safety for two girls, I turned around back to their office ask the refund within 3 minutes. The young girl in the office won't give anything back to me at the beginning. After I keep asking them and saying I'm not stay there, why should I pay $91. It's not like a busy weekend , it's not like I took the spot that they can't sell to anybody else. Finally, she called the owner and she give me half back.
I won't back to this place, not only for the bad experience , also it doesn't worth $45.99 per night at all!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Annie133238
EasternSlope, Owner at Eastern Slope Camping Area, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for your comments, we always welcome feedback whether it be positive or negative. We are sorry that you did not find our camping area as you would have liked to. As it was your first experience with camping, you probably didn't realize that the peak camping season here in New England is actually from the middle of June thru Labor Day. This is the time of year when we are sold out completely, have a lot of activities going on and all is very busy! After Labor Day, things slow down quite a bit and there are many less campers. Most campers truly enjoy the peace and quiet that the Fall brings, taking advantage of more space and a more relaxed atmosphere. We are truly sorry that you did not feel safe due to the lack of other campers, but we assure you, you were perfectly safe. We have two security gates on the property as well as security guards which patrol the property 24 hours a day. As for the cancellation policy, it is in place, communicated very clearly and does not change due to high or low occupancy. It is unfortunate that you did not stay long enough to enjoy our beautiful beaches, heated pool or all the beauty of our natural surroundings here at ESCA, we hope to see you another time and thank you again for your comments.
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This was our third year at the campground and it just gets better each time ! The sites are large enough for our travel trailer, the picnic area and firepit. The Structure over the picnic area is wonderful especially to keep things dry for that quick downpour. This year they had wonderful activities planned for the kids as well as a benefit for a local organization which made us all feel good. There are two beaches, one that we can take the dog to. Our kids 9 and 11, went off playing with other kids they met , riding bikes playing in the game room and on the large well maintained field. Very family friendly and staff addresses problems and concerns immediately. Nice addition to the staff this year, Sandy in the store who offered up suggestions for local attractions off the beaten path ! We look forward to next years visit !! Highly recommend this campground !

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank coljar
Thank you for your nice review! It is so nice to hear that you and your family love ESCA so much! Thank you for noticing all of our improvements. We strive to improve every year and it's great to be appreciated! It is good to know that you enjoyed the pony rides which benefited Jaidens Angel Foundation, it was a lot of fun and it made us feel good too! Thank you again for your appreciation we hope to see you next year!