“Nice river and beaches, poor customer service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Conway
Eastern Slope Camping Area
Ranked #10 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Conway
Reviewed 8 July 2013

After my first visit to Eastern Slope Campground, I would say that their beaches and the proximity to the Saco River is about the only thing going for it. Along with all of the other compliants listed here (dirty, litered, crowded, etc.) I would include 'rude'. I reserved 2 tent sites for July 4th weekend, one for my family and one for my brother's family. I was very forthcoming when I made the reservation, explaining that we were 2 different families, which didn't seem to be any problem at the time. Since I arrived first I checked-in to both sites since they were in my name, and was not alerted to any problems at the time. The gentleman who checked me in was very nice and offered to keep the 2nd vehicle pass in the office for my brother to pick up when he arrived. But when my brother came to pick up the pass a little while later, a woman with short black hair in the main office rudely informed him that he could not pick up the pass because they couldn't determine if someone else was already on the site (which was me because I had already checked in, duh!). Meanwhile, my family and I were clear on the other side of the campground enjoying the refreshing, clear river when we got a phone call that we needed to come to the front office because we had the wrong vehicle pass. It turned out that we didn't have the wrong pass, the black-haired woman just wanted to have a chance to chew me out for reserving 2 spots in my name. Like I was trying to get away with something!? After forcing my brother's family (with 2 young children) to sit and wait for 30 min + while dealing with all of this, and then reprimanding me for reserving and paying for sites at their campground, ESCA will not be getting any more of my business. While at the campground I heard many other similar stories of campers frustrated with the new management. I also heard stories of those that will not return because of it. Too bad... it could have been a really nice campground.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank vtkarenb
There are newer reviews for Eastern Slope Camping Area

Reviewed 2 July 2013

This campsite was 4/5 for us. but I can definitely see how the rating could be all over the map.

The good:
-The staff was great and friendly.
-Our campsite was a treed, decent size lot with a fire pit, picnic table, and wooden rain shelter.
-There were showers with good water pressure and nice hot water (this was a work-cation for one of us to that was important).
-An in-ground pool which we had to ourselves most of the time we were using it. This was great because in June the river was freezing and the current was to strong for swimming.
-The river was gorgeous and the site offered rentals and a drive up the river so you could then canoe/tube down the river for 3 hours and end up back at the camps site. Unfortunately, our booking was canceled because the current was to strong.
-Close to major shopping outlet/restaurants/stores/etc.
-We paid about $100 for 4 days/3 nights. Which seems on par for the area, if you're looking for a basic site with water and electricity at a family campground.

Now for the not so good:
- Our site was great but it seemed we had one for the better ones. There were some that even looked out onto the group of big green garbage bins. They are also rather close together.
- The bathrooms, the ones near us were clean and well kept, but apparently the ones farther from our site were awful.
-The pool was pretty small and often when we were driving in and out of the park we could see that it was packed.
-This is a family campsite, which isn't a problem in itself, but it's a totally different experience from the wilderness camping we often do. It's not always chance to relax in nature, it's rather noisy. Our camp neighbors we very nice but also very noise into the night.
-All fires our by 11:30, that sucked.
-No mountain view from the campground.

Room Tip: There are some sites to stay way from, if you are getting a tent site make sure you don't get th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Crystal C
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We recently stayed at the Easter Slope Camp Ground. We love the North Conway area. Great shopping, eating, recreation places close to the location.

The Camp ground is kept clean and the staff were nice. Loved the two beaches on the Saco River. Especially liked how they designate one beach down stream as a dog beach. This worked well with our Lab. He had a great time too.

We didn't like how packed in the sites were. We stayed up by the pool. Would not stay there again. Could hear the campers on each side of us talking inside their units. This actually is the main reason for the average score. But even the sites down below were not that spacious unless you were able to get a river front site.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank nhmarine
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I have stayed at this campground twice now and highly recommend it! My boyfriend and I get the standard site with water and electricity at the $35/night rate. If you are staying as a couple and without kids like us, I would definitely recommend staying on the outskirts of the campground--less kids running around/noise. It's a bit further walk to the store, but bathrooms are all centrally located.

What I really love about Eastern Slope are the kayak rentals. A shuttle from the campground loads your kayaks and drives you up the Saco to a dropoff point and then you just load your kayaks in the river and off you go! You can spend the entire day leisurely going down the river, beach somewhere for lunch (we pack a huge cooler), and then eventually you are right back on the beach at Eastern Slope. Just have to pull your kayaks up off the beach and you are all set!

I've read some complaints on here about the cleanliness of the bathrooms, etc. I don't know what people expect, but this is a campground, and during the busy season I imagine it is difficult to keep up with. I always found the showers to be clean enough... bathrooms get gross towards the end of a weekend, but what do you expect with tons of little kids coming in and out.

Can't speak towards the RV sites or cabins, but if you are just camping with a tent, this campground is solid.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank voxine
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We were looking to camp somewhere in the Conway area after Columbus Day. This is one of the few places that is open through October. We reserved a prime river front site. The site was really big and we had a canopy and water/electric. It doesn't really have a view of the water but you can easily walk to the beach. It was a bit expensive at $46/night but that seemed to be the going rate for that area.

Whenever we needed assistance, the staff was generally helpful and friendly.

The bathrooms, as others observed, were not cleaned often. The sinks were dirty and trash was not emptied for a few days. On the plus side, they did have soap and paper towels and the showers provided plenty of hot water. For those who are crazy like us and camp in the cold weather, be advised the bathrooms are not heated. Finally, I liked the privacy of having my own stall complete a shower.

Our biggest concern was the overflowing dumpsters which attracted bears to the campground. It was impossible to find a place to put our trash one night. The staff did chase the bear(s) away and eventually compacted the trash in the dumpsters. I would recommend just emptying the dumpsters more often.

I would definitely return. You just can't beat the location.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank 2007sonata
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We rented one of the cabins...it was comfortable and the location was very convenient, but the cabin itself had not been cleaned very well. I am not sure if it was because it was the off-season and the owners were busy getting things ready for the winter or something, but the whole campground was unkept. We wanted a place with a mini fridge and microwave, and it was affordable, so I would probably go back, but wouldn't be quick to recomment it to others. We;re not picky. The owners were friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank airstreamerreddirt
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We spent 2 nights here at this campground. We were lucky enough to have a spot down by the river and the campsite wasnt crowded when we were there so we were pretty much all alone on the 'beach'. The rest of the site was filed with RV's. The bathrooms on the riverside werent that great, but they had ok facilities in the middle. Having camped a lot around europe, this wasnt bad for us. However it isnt 5 stars. The people that run the place were very friendly and helpful with things to do around the area. Since it was raining we put our tent under the shelter to ensure that we didnt have any water problems so that was a nice extra :) It was a bit expensive though, esp for the 'river sites' (it was 45$), and if we would have looked around more we would have camped in the National Forest, but if you are looking for a sure steady ground, this is it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple