“What a great place!!”
Review of Darby Field Inn

Darby Field Inn
Ranked #7 of 24 Conway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Went here in March 2013 for some downtime, complimentary champagne and snowshoeing. We had an absolutely wonderful time. We didn't leave the inn that much because...why bother! The food is good, the place is comfortable, the drinks are pouring at night, and the fire in the stone fireplace is roaring.

We dined in the formal dining room (where breakfast is also served in the morning) the first night. The food was good. The second night we ate in the lounge and had an awesome burger and mussels as an appetizer. The breakfast is very good. They are very flexible here and will make anything you want within reason. The dining room is large with great views of the Presidential Range. Everyone has a seperate table so you are not stuck on one big table with a bunch of strangers.

The guests we met were soo friendly. The innkeeper is a good guy and keeps it real. He isn't in your face with over-kindness like so many innkeerpers are.

I think the one complaint I had was the water pressure in the room. It was a bit low. We had room 5 which is small, but is a corner room with two windows and the same great views as the dining room. The heat is controlled by the room next door and it was cold in our room one night. We had to have a inn person knock on the next room's door to turn the heat on.

There are several snowshoeing trails right from the inn. The snowshoes did their job quite well.

Complimentary coffee, tea and cocoa all the time. Also there is some complimentary red wine out for your drinking pleasure. Lots of board games and books to read. The common area are perfect for relaxing.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Getaways at the Darby Field Inn ARE a wonderful thing…I think you sampled the best of what we offer. I’m sorry to hear about the heat and water pressure...there’s always something that needs attention. The red wine isn’t really complimentary, but it hopefully helped to make up for above mentioned shortcomings ;-) Glad you enjoyed the place as much as I do…I look forward to seeing you another time

Reviewed 19 February 2013

While it's located in a nice serene landscape, the rooms themselves were no better than a cheap roadside motel. For $200 a night we stayed in a room so small that there was only 2 feet of space of either side of the bed and 5 feet at the foot of the bed. The bathroom was dingy with discolored linoleum flooring, chipped fixtures, discolored towels and a shower that barely worked. On top of this they did not even clean the room during our 2 day stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank YouK2
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

I am sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your stay at the Inn. I know that once you are disappointed by one aspect, such as the size of the room, this can cast a shadow on everything else! I assure you our rooms are well cleaned and inspected, as are our towels and linens. There are a variety of rooms here at the Darby Field Inn. Some of our rooms are smaller, and are ideal for guests planning on spending time out and about in the area. We do have larger rooms and suites, and upgrades are always an option if they are available. Full country breakfast and warm Yankee hospitality is included in every room rate...I hope you at least enjoyed the food and service? I’m not sure why your room wasn’t cleaned; we have a housekeeper here every day for this. Perhaps your ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign was left out by accident? If so, your room would not be disturbed. If you do give us another chance, I would recommend one of our larger rooms/suites.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

I was looking to take some time to myself to recharge for the New Year. All I wanted to do was cross country ski and sit by the fire. Darby Field Inn had both. It was just what I needed and it was a pleasure to get it there. Dinner and breakfast were scrumptuous too. I went back home to my family relaxed and rejuvenated. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

I know the importance of "me" time to relax and recharge! I am happy we were able to help you do this. It was wonderful to meet you...come back anytime, and bring the family, too, if you want to share your private getaway!
Sincerely, Marc

Reviewed 3 January 2013

Had an absolutely wonderful time! Marc and his staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Fresh home cooked food another plus! Mount Washington suite was superb, with a beautiful view of the countryside and White Mountains. Very relaxing and will definitely be back at some point.
Heather and Bob N

Room Tip: If you want a 'Getaway' this is the place. Peaceful, relaxing and a great place to unwind.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay here...my staff will be pleased with your praise! If you joined us during winter, you should plan to return during spring. summer or fall. There are a variety of things to do during each season, and we are always happy to make recommendations for our guests!
Happy New Year,
Marc

Reviewed 31 December 2012

This place is the very definition of a romantic getaway. It's peaceful, beautiful and relaxing.

We love everything about this place -- the service, the views, the food...you can't go wrong here! But the food really deserves an extra mention - whenever we come, my husband and I usually don't end up going out for dinner because we know we'll be happier if we just dine in the inn. I mean, when you can go crazy over the fried eggs and toast at breakfast, you know it's something special!

I always recommend this place to anyone traveling to NH. I only wish we lived closer so we could visit more often!

Room Tip: Go for the mountain view, and if it's summertime, consider a room with A/C.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

I am very happy you enjoyed your stay here at the Inn! I will share your food love with the kitchen staff...this will start their new year off on the right foot!
See you soon, Marc

Reviewed 26 December 2012

We stayed in the Darby Field Inn just before Christmas. It's an old New England inn, with slightly crooked hallways, but the room was beautiful and the view of the White Mountains from our "traditional" room was stunning. What put it over the top for us was the service. The innkeepers were happy to help us out, from serving us tea in the living room in front of the fireplace, to getting me an icepack and ibuprofen after a ski mishap. (Don't ask.) Our dinner at the inn was delicious (with, again, a great view of the mountains), and breakfast both days was fresh and filling.

1  Thank Branden55
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

I am pleased you enjoyed our mountain "home" during your getaway. My staff enjoys praise and works hard to get it...I will enjoy sharing this with them! We look forward to welcoming you here again in 2013.
Happy New Year! Marc

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Darby Field Inn was and is everything that we have been looking for. Small enough for the individual feel, but big enough to have the privacy that we look for.
We have been to many Inns in the White Mountain area and not one compares to the hospitality of Marc and his staff. From the minute we walked in the door to the second we left there was never any question about the sincerity and friendliness of Darby Field Inn.
The food is wonderful and very well presented. Our room was very comfortable and even though we were not able to obtain one of the "rooms with a view" ours was beautiful. With our sitting area and our own private entrance we could not have asked for more!
We have found our new home away from home. Rick and Deb A.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very well presented and all have their own "special" touch. The steam s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

It is always GREAT to know you're doing something right! I am happy you have found your new "home away from home!" I will share this with my staff! We look forward to your next visit...
Happy New Year -Marc

Also consider these accommodations in or near Conway
Green Granite Inn & Conference Center
8 mi away
The Farmstand B & B
The Farmstand B & B
#1 of 2 in Chocorua

Been to Darby Field Inn? Share your experiences!