“Scenic get-away that's as comfy as a grandma's hug”
Review of Darby Field Inn

Darby Field Inn
Ranked #6 of 24 Conway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Lovely rural inn with terrific views of Mount Moat. There is a full bar and restaurant on site. Homemade bread for breakfast and rolls for dinner that are so good! Tasty and well prepared meals, and so nice not to have to drive to dinner after a day of sightseeing. The inn has a cozy home-like feel that is easy to settle into. We were two couples traveling to New England for the first time and spent two nights. The host/owner, Marc, and his staff were all friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Marc suggested a hike for our nature loving friends, while telling us about a scenic drive and great place for lunch. There is an old fashioned charm in the location and atmosphere here that made us all very happy. It was hard to leave!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Darby Field Inn

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We came here as a last-minute trip for a romantic weekend getaway/shopping trip for the holidays. They were very accommodating and extremely nice.

The food at the restaurant was fantastic, and we highly recommend coming here to enjoy a meal. (We suggest getting the Bourbon Bacon Shrimp.) It doesn't hurt that the views from the restaurant are just as fantastic.

This inn participates in the Inn-To-Inn cookie Tour and their cookies were among the best. This does cause an increase in car and foot traffic during the tour hours, so it's best to plan around it if you aren't interested.

We stayed in a corner room on the top floor, and it was peaceful and clean. The bathroom was older but also very clean. There was an electric fireplace in our room to help keep us warm, and it really added to the cozy ambiance. There is no TV in the room, but we felt it would have taken away from the country charm that we were seeking in our getaway.

Overall, we really liked this place and look forward to coming here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I were so fortunate to be able to book just one overnight this past Labor Day weekend - most places were two or three night minimum - and this brought us to the lovely Darby Field Inn - what a wonderful little gem tucked away on the Kancamagus Highway! From my call to make our reservation forward, our experience was TOPS! The room was wonderful, bed super comfortable and the dinner Saturday evening . . . the perfect end to our hiking day. Have to see if the chef will part with the recipe for stuffed zucchini - it was outstanding! My husband was equally happy with his chicken dish . . . wait staff very friendly . . . all-in-all, a wonderful experience! If you have the opportunity to stay at the Darby Field Inn, DO IT!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We recently spent a few days at the Darby Field, enjoying the phenomenal views of the White Mountains, and the omnipresent hummingbirds, flying within inches of us. I'd never seen hummingbirds that closely (or stopped, as they did on the feeders!) The sense is of a remote lovely B&B; the reality is that North Conway is 10 minutes away. Much of the beauty of the White Mountains is at your fingertips - nearby lakes, mountains, hikes, (shopping, if that's your thing.)

We also enjoyed being present at a wedding on the patio - a couple was eloping at the in, so my husband, friend and I were the unplanned and only guests. We enjoyed taking pictures for them and wishing them the joys of marriage.

I found the bed to be of excellent quality, but "unforgiving" - it was too hard for my liking (as a side-sleeper). The rooms were beautiful; most look out on the mountain view. A few have the garden view. Be specific in your requests - we loved our mountain view room!

Breakfasts (included) are excellent. The inn also serves dinner, and the food is of very high quality and presentation. My friends whom we visited in NH were glad to hear of that, and will be going to the Inn for their "Special Occasion Dinners." (Their Cajun onion soup is incredible!)

Staff and service were all excellent - warm and friendly and helpful.

This was our first visit, but won't be our last.

Room Tip: Be specific if you want a mountain-view room.
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at the Darby Field Inn and I, normally a critical reviewer, can think of only good things to say. The location is lovely with views of the White Mountains. The rooms are very nice. We stayed in one of the smallest but got to peek in some of the others. The staff are friendly and attentive and there is a relaxed atmosphere whether you are lounging in the back surrounded by butterflies, in the restaurant (more on that below) or in the lounge or tavern.

My wife felt the bed was not the best, I liked it.

The restaurant is high quality either breakfast or dinner. The dinner menu is a bit limited in choice but has enough "spread" to satisfy most people. The wine list is good and reasonably priced.

This is a high end place, and the prices reflect it, but if you want to be near North Conway and want something many steps above a motel and away from the noise and traffic you cannot do better than the Darby Field Inn. I expect to return in the Fall and relax some more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains,
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay! My staff appreciates your kind words and I appreciate your continued patronage. Hope to see you this fall!

Warm regards, Marc

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I loved the inn. The staff were really nice. The food is awesome. However, the bed is so so so so uncomfortable. It is really old, sloped to one side, and wiggles if anyone moves. My spouse slept on the floor. I feel bad saying that because generally the inn was awesome but really, inns are mainly for sleeping.

Room Tip: Maybe the other beds are better. We were room 15.
1  Thank jwillbuckeye
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

I wish I had known while you were here! I went upstairs to inspect the bed in #15 and tightened some loose screws to set the frame right. I am pleased you enjoyed your awake hours, and hope you will return to enjoy the staff and food again, and to make some new memories in a different room!
Warm regards, Marc

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I cannot say enough about the Darby Field Inn or it's exceptional staff. They made our wedding day so special and wonderful. Marc and his staff, Carol, Alan and anyone who's name we forgot, went above and beyond for us each and every time. Our room was spotless and beautiful, the view was unforgettable and I really can see myself coming back to the inn time and time again.

The hummingbirds were a real riot each and every morning, and the staff must have thought I was crazy since I've never seen hummingbirds up close before but they were really nice about it. :) This is a great establishment with wonderful hospitality and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
innkeeperDFI, Owner at Darby Field Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

I never tire of our wonderful guests and their wonderful reviews! Glad your wedding day was all you hoped for...and hummingbird fascination is nothing new to us here at the inn; we are still captivated by them, even after over 30 years!

I look forward to welcoming you back time and time again!

Best wishes, Marc

Also consider these accommodations in or near Conway
Comfort Inn & Suites North Conway
#2 of 25 in North Conway
Merrill Farm Inn
Merrill Farm Inn
#10 of 30 in Conway

Been to Darby Field Inn? Share your experiences!