“This is what Jamaica is all about....”

Idlers' Rest Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Black River
Decatur, In
“This is what Jamaica is all about....”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

We chose Idler's Rest for our 40th wedding anniversary - what a wonderful choice we made. We've been to Jamaica many times, but Jamaica's South Coast is the best. We intended on staying 3 nights at Idler's Rest, and stayed 6. The property is private, clean and accomodating in every way. This is an out of the way place that is quiet. No hustle-bustle in sight. The beach is wonderful, the sunsets amazing, and the staff excellant -what more do you need? A taxi can take you wherever you want to go. We almost hate to write a review, as we will definitely be back, and we want it kept quiet, just the way it is. Ms Juliet Mohan, the manager and her staff took care of anything we needed. No worries, no problem.
We used Cllives Taxi Service to take us from the airport to Black River, which is about 1 1/2 hours drive. They were friendly, dependable, on time, and will use them again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lilred_inDecatur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bedford
Reviewed 22 February 2010

This marvellous spot wasn't really chosen by us but by Relaiable Adventures Jamaica - another great Jamaican company. The staff made the trip for us - very helpful and friendly. Idler's Rest is right on the beach and "far from the madding crowd". Montego Bay it ain't!. It's a wonderful place to stay.
Bob & Kathleen Foskett
Bedford
UK

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed 17 January 2010

My visit to this charming boutique hotel, was like a never before experience. Because it was after the rush of the Holidays, it gave me the privilege to be in totally relax and serene environment. The rooms are very nice, clean and functional. The bed..... well I was in heaven every night... so comfortable in those pure cotton sheet. The owners are savvy travelers, so lots of the decorations is coming from around the world which give it a nice touch. I had the chance to visit the other rooms and all have their own characters and charm.

How about having almost 11 miles of beach to yourself with only your footprint in the sand..... I only saw this on picture before. Now I have my own. I promise to do this again. They also have bicycle available to go visit the local area. I felt safe riding and had the chance to visit a local fish restaurant that serve an incredible delicious BBQ fish style...

This was the best way I could begin 2010. I recommend this hidden treasure to anyone who wish to experience Jamaica in it's most untouched and original way. Like it is before the building of corporate resort. This part of land has an untouched virgin beach. The hotel has a touch of elegance, comfort and wonderful customer service. Now I am rested and ready to kick in the new year.... Thanks Santa!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank SunshineLove40
bristol
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Idlers Rest is an quirky little gem, about 2 miles out of Black River on the Parrotee Road. It is quiet though, and without transport one would need to wait patiently for the local bus or rely on taxis. The highlight for us was undoubtedly the wonderful view from the restaurant balcony, where we took our leisurely breakfasts and also our sunset Red Stripes. The downside was the mosquitos. They were relentless - and big buggers too.

Our room was very spacious, quiet, clean and colourful. The service was adequate, but not over friendly, with the exception of Stephanie who attended to our needs, and was charming and polite throughout our stay.
The food was variable. A Jamaican breakfast was included with the tarriff, and although toast and eggs were provided, it was not included within the tarriff. One morning the saltfish and ackee with fried dumplings was absolutely delicious, but another morning it was barely edible. The evening meal operated on an order in advance basis, and as with the breakfast the standard varied.
There is a collection of birds and crocodiles to add to the entertainment, as well as an old Rover parked up at the end of the drive.
The position of Idlers Rest is very peaceful and overlooks a long stretch of beach all the way back to Black River. Swimming is good here and is OK for kids. We stayed here to chill out for a couple of days. The sunsets were great. We went on the Black River Safari and took a trip to the Pelican Bar, both of which were enjoyable.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Idlers Rest and would recomend it as a good base for the local attractions. We were told the mosquitos were not always as hostile, and perhaps we would have enjoyed our stay even more if that were the case.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank bittonboy
Jamaica
Reviewed 13 April 2009

The property is attractively designed and well-kept. Great food at the restaurant, especially the steamed fish. They have their own boat so they can arrange tours to Pelican Bar a must do for any trip to the South Coast.

The main area for improvement is the rooms. They are very spacious to the point of looking empty. Only furniture in the room are 2 beds, a closet and a chair. Had a cold feel. I was on the ground floor - I would definitely recommend requesting up upstairs room with a proper balcony and a view.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank gaving
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I had an AMAZING time at Idlers' Rest! Wanting to visit a part of Jamaica that is away from the typical tourist mania, my friends and I took a short trip to Black River. What a great choice!

Idlers' is located on a pristine strip of beach, which seemed virtually isolated. This led to absolute calm and relaxation on the beach. We also enjoyed a nice meal on the veranda, which overlooks the water. I honestly could have stayed out there for hours and hours. In spite of the ability to spend all day relaxing, we also managed to borrow Idlers' bikes to ride down the road and enjoy even more lovely views of the water (I recommend taking the bike ride earlier in the day). And I can't forget about Pelican Bar! I highly recommend taking the Idlers' boat to check out the bar that is located in the middle of the water. It's so perfect.

I also loved my room at Idlers'. It was tastefully and stylishly decorated, with such a cute bathroom! It has all of the amenities (a/c, ceiling fan, tv, hot water...). So it felt like a true vacation.

I think one of the most charming things about Idlers' Rest is that it doesn't have the sterile feel of so many large, resorty, hotel chains. Here you are made to feel like a real person and not just a tourist. Although it is absolutely nothing like my home, I quickly gained a feeling of being at a home away from home. It feels very comfortable and the service is warm and welcoming.

I'll definitely be going back to Black River. And when I do, I'll definitely be staying at Idlers' Rest. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank DaSax09
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Oh my God... I just got back from Jamaica and stayed at the Idlers Rest at the urging of a friend. This hotel is Fabulous. The views are beautiful and the serinity was sublime. I will never stay anywhere else. It was my privilege to meet Mr. Courtney Hamilton. This man was the classiest guy ever. Idlers Rest was his vision and it is dreamlike.
In addition to the fine dining, you will find peace from the hustle and bustle of city life.
I was able to relax and compose myself (that is what vacations are fro right)....
I loved Idlers Rest. If I close my eyes I can still feel the sunset and the essence of Jamaica. If you want lots of noise, loud guests and lots of unruly people stay away.
This is the pinnacle of peace. A fortress of solitude. A respite of REST.
Amazing.

#3 of 5 in Treasure Beach
Star Castle Guest House
Star Castle Guest House
#4 of 5 in White House

Been to Idlers' Rest Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!