“Love this Dover B and B”

Silver Fountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Dover B&B and Inns
Venice, FL
“Love this Dover B and B”
Reviewed 15 July 2010

We stayed at the Silver Fountain Inn while visiting Portsmouth, and were delighted with that decision. Innkeeper Susan's professional decorating background is evident in this beautifully restored Inn. We stayed in the Bellamy room and loved the luxury linens and spotless surroundings. Breakfast, with a choice of entrees is excellent. Little touches, such as an available fridge, cookies, etc., made our visit memorable. We would definitely return to this great B and B.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Boston
Reviewed 3 February 2010

What a delight to stay in such a lovely and well-cared for house. The owner is so kind and anxious to make you feel comfortable in this elegant home. The photos capture the look, but don't do enough to express how wonderful it is to stay here. I found myself gasping as I admired the beautiful details and impeccable decor around every corner. I had the rose room and I almost don't want you to know about it because then you'll book it and it might not be empty when I want to go back. Relaxing by the parlor fireplace, snacking in the dining room or enjoying the wide selection of books, magazines, music and videos offered at the inn, made this a peaceful and enjoyable place for a quiet weekend away. Plus a wonderful assortment of teas and tempting cookies are there whenever you want them. Breakfast is no hassle, but made to order fresh baked muffins, savory omelets and delicious fruit salads served in the sunny formal dining room. It was so hard to leave the pleasant luxury of the Silver Fountain Inn, but upon venturing out, I found the town of Dover to be full of interesting shops to wander through and great antiquing and many different casual restaurants. I imagine it would be nice to walk around and admire the river and the old mill in the summer time, but it's still a great place for a winter weekend getaway - very convenient to Portsmouth and Boston. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We had The Silk Room, it was large and comfortable with a bit of street noise, and a great bathroom as long as you love claw footed tubs (and I do). Over the top decor and comfortable bed, good quality linens. In walking distance to most of what you want to see in Dover. The breakfast was wonderful, service a little patchy, but nothing too terrible. All in all a good choice, if you are a picky sleeper choose a room at the back of the house away from the street.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 26 October 2009

All I can say is, "what a great place". We stayed here 2 nights while attending a football game at UNH and visiting with family. Susan is a terrific host. Her home is beautiful and inviting. It is in fabulous condition and those who love the charm and elegance of an old home will be so impressed with this one. My favorite feature was the center staircase. Breakfast was delicious with a varied selection and the cookies on the piano were to die for! The bed was very comfortable. Rooms vary in size... we had one with a small bathroom that had just a shower but no big deal, there are some rooms with large baths with tubs. I would absolutely stay here again. Dover and nearby Durham are both nice towns with very friendly people and the great city of Portsmouth is just up the road, filled with great shopping and the nightlife was hopping.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
ct
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Husband and I booked this room at the last minute for a much needed getaway. Although we had the largest room, we found the room to be very quaint and well kept! Enjoyed the breakfast on the porch.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovetotraveljb
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 24 August 2009

This was the last night of our vacation and it was a great way to end. The house was beautiful, the rooms so nice and comfortable. There are lots of steep stairs, so be aware of that! The rooms are ample in size, great beds, and nicely decorated. I think there is nothing to complain about! Host left out comp drinks and cookies, hot tea and coffee....first class place! Thanks.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Scotia, NY
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Not being able to stay a fourth night at an inn in Wiscasset, Maine, I searched the internet intending to find a place along the coast searching as far as the north Shore of Mass. when I came upon the Silver Fountain Inn only 12 miles from Portsmouth, NH. All I had to do was read the reviews to know this is where my wife and I had to stay. We made the most of our visit arriving right at check-in and leaving as late as we could the next morning extremely satisfied and sad to depart.

We stayed in the Oak Room which we were informed was the master bedroom with the original parquet flooring. Soft green and appointed so tastefully, I regret I have no pictures to accompany this review. The bathroom was huge and quite Victorian looking with a shower head the size of a sunflower above the middle of the deep bathtub.

Susan-gracious, friendly and a wonderful cook/baker, her daughter, a UNH student greeted us warmly when we arrived, and our server for breakfast equally as welcoming.

Dover is a small, pleasant historic city only minutes from the University of New Hampshire in nearby Durham.

Find an excuse to stay in this lovely Inn

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
Three Chimneys Inn
#1 of 2 in Durham
Comfort Inn & Suites Dover
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown

Been to Silver Fountain Inn? Share your experiences!