“Awesome Margaritas!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mixteca Taqueria Y Cantina - CLOSED

Mixteca Taqueria Y Cantina
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Sister restaurant to Zapoteca Restaurante and Tequileria is coming soon.
Kingston, New Hampshire
“Awesome Margaritas!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Have now been to Mixteca twice & have not been disappointed. I love hot & spicy, but if you like your Mexican food a tad milder, there are a range of options. I like my guacamole on the chunky side - I like avocado - and you can order it with - bacon!!! And don't just order one salsa with chips - at least try the 3 combo and live a little!! We went for the 9 chile, the sweet & spicy & the basic salsa. They were all awesome!! We've tried the tacos, the enchiladas & burritos - easily the most freshly made Mexican food I've had in a long time - since being in Mexico ;-)
We haven't been for Happy Hour yet - I'm almost afraid to. The margaritas are so good!! I've had the cucumber & jalapeño margarita & the haberno & watermelon margarita - so many more choices - can't waif to try the rest!!!

Visited August 2014

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Yummy chips and excellent taquitos!! Bar service mediocre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I visited Mixteca for the second time for dinner along with my friend (her first time). Started with yummy pork taquitos with a delish tomato-habanero sauce! Perfectly cooked, flavorful meat. We tried the guac too, it was good but the avocado was in chunks, making it difficult to dig out with a chip (may be if it was cubed it would be easier?) The margaritas were okay, I kept forgetting to ask what 'Silver tequila' they use (not my favorite). Our bartender may be too use to waiting on college kids, she was knowledgeable about the menu but not attentive to her bar patrons. It was not a busy night either. My friend got the avocado taco, which she loved. I ordered the Taco Al Pastor, it came with 3 tacos and refried beans and rice. Unfortunately, my pork was tough/fatty and I had no desire to eat a second taco. When I mentioned the fatty meat to the bartender, she just agreed with me. Odd she didn't offer me something else, but I didn't ask either. Next time, I will sit at table, and try a different entree. But definitely will return for the taquitos!! YUM!!

• Visited June 2014
New England
“Excellent Food & Best Happy Hour in the Region!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Happy Hour: Half-off appetizers, half-off draft beers, wine by the glass & specialty drinks. Every day 4:00-6:00 pm, plus 2:00-4:00 pm on Fridays.

I've been there many times since last May or June. My favorite appetizer: the nachos with pulled pork. Nearly on par: the nachos with chicken.

Eclectic menu; includes dishes I had no idea were Mexican.

Enormously wide selection of tequilas, but I can't afford those.

My rating of 5 stars (below) for Dining on a Budget applies to the Happy Hour. Otherwise maybe three stars; at regular prices it's not exactly inexpensive. But the food is excellent, making it a better value than might appear at first glance.

My rating of $$$ for Cost per Person is for general dining, not Happy Hour.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank evidencer
new jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good Mexican food in Durham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Mixteca has decent Mexican food with a nice variety of choices. The chicken nachos are good. The guacamole is sometimes a little salty.

Visited March 2014
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

On a Thursday night it was very noisy in the room with the bar. We sat in an adjoining room. I was not impressed with the food. We started out with ceviche. It was not cheap, was a very small portion, we had to remind waitress to bring chips with it and it was not especially tasty. The pepper stuffed with mushrooms was also just OK, nothing spectacular. Ingredients were fresh, presentation was nice, but the food was lacking in something.

• Visited February 2014