“Great visit to Newmarket/Portsmouth area”

Holiday Inn Express Durham
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We finally made it to NH to visit our son and his friends. He relocated to the area a year ago and loves it. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Durham. This is a college town hotel and shares parking with student housing. The parking is strict, but we never had any issue with finding a spot. They have a good system. The entire staff was very friendly; even the young lady folding towels made an effort to say hi and welcome us. The breakfast was typical of included continental, but it was hot, good, and there was a lot of variety. The rooms were clean, the place was quiet, and signing up for a free rewards program gave me access to their internet for free. It worked very well.

The area is great with lots to do. Lots of history, shopping, downtown and malls, lots of great restaurants.

Room Tip: There really were not any bad spots. We had a room overlooking the parking area but there was not a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KTrips2014
HIEDurhamManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Hello KTrips2014,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. I'm glad that your son has relocated to the Durham area and is enjoying the University of New Hampshire.I'm elated to hear that you found our hotel quaint and accommodating. You're absolutely correct, the parking is strict here due to being minutes away from UNH, however we make it a goal to explain the importance of where to park. I'm happy to know you found our system convenient! Thank you for signing up for IHG Rewards, it's a free program that we suggest all UNH parents join to accrue a free nights stay! I'm glad you found our staff to be friendly, as the staff is the core of our hotel. They all genuinely care about making every guest's stay a memorable one! Thank you again, we hope you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Breakfast was amazing they even had soy milk (lactose intolerant here).
Beware this hotel shares a parking lot with a college housing unit. First night we got to listen to a loud argument.
The door doesn't block any noise from the hall way. A drunk woman came in singing "love shack, baby love shack" at 2 am. Doors close heavily as well.
Our second night we came back to having no towels. Front desk was there within two minutes with them and was very apologetic.

Pros: price and 8 minute drive to the main town where the Fox run mall is, main chain restaurants, huge Wal-Mart and department stores are. Also the no sales tax helps a lot! Room is clean and beds are comfortable.

Put on the air conditioner's fan only to drown out noise from the hall and parking lot you'll sleep like a baby.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Blueberry04
HIEDurhamManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hello Blueberry04,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize that your stay was noisy due to other guests and the tenants nearby. Anytime there are issues with noise, please contact us immediately. We would love to alleviate the issue so your stay with us is more relaxing. I'm glad you had a chance to enjoy our new and improved breakfast that includes a variety of healthy options. Our location is quite convenient as we are within walking distance to UNH, and only a short drive from the Fox Run Mall, Kittery Outlets, and all of the local beaches. I'm happy to hear the location was suitable to your needs. I will inform the staff you found them friendly and helpful, as they strive to exceed guest's expectations. We would love for you to give our property another chance if you are ever in the Durham area again, as always thank you for choosing our hotel!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is located just on the edge of the UNH campus and is convenient to downtown Durham. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The front desk welcomed me in, answered any questions I had, and was able to arrange my room so that I could check in nearly three hours early.

The hotel itself isn't particularly fancy -- pretty standard for a Holiday Inn, but certainly comfortable. I had no problems with my room. I would definitely consider staying here again when I'm back in the area.

Room Tip: The rooms on the back side of the hotel face a private apartment complex. I preferred this, since th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
HIEDurhamManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Hello apg703,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review your experience with our property. I'm glad that our location was convenient for you, as we are located only minutes from the University of New Hampshire. Our goal is to ensure every guest's stay is comfortable as well as memorable. I'm elated that our staff was able to accommodate your requests and provided you with information on our property and the Durham area. Our strong suit is our amazing staff, they genuinely want to assist our guests in any way possible. Thank you so much for your business and loyalty, we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stay at this hotel once a year when visiting family in the area. We have had a few issues through the years, but we have found the staff to be accommodating. This trip we arrived around 9p.m. to find our king room had been given to someone else. We were put in a double room, but were given a Subway gift card to try to make up for being squished in a double bed! We were there a few nights, went to Maine, then returned for a few more nights. The one major complaint I have about the hotel is the a/c unit in the room. You cannot have the a/c on along with a continuous fan. The unit turns on and off all night and is very loud when it does that. I found an app on my phone that allowed for a little white noise that helped some, but the unit in Room 216 was very loud. We did not visit the breakfast area so I cannot review that. Overall it is a decent place to stay. The bed was comfortable, staff friendly, and the room clean.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HIEDurhamManager, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hello travelhappy527,

Thank you kindly for your review. I'd like to personally apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced at our property in regards to your room type and our a/c units. For future reference, we have 4 rooms on our first floor with standard a/c units that may be more accommodating for you. We appreciate you being a loyal guest and returning to our property. I'm elated to hear our staff provided you with excellent service, they are the heart of our hotel. Thank you sincerely for your business and please be sure to contact us during your next trip to the Durham area, we will ensure it's a memorable one!

Front Desk Supervisor

Reviewed 10 July 2014

They have maybe the best variety of any HIX I have been in for breakfast. Nice selection of breads and Greek yogurt and fruits. Front Desk and breakfast staff also very good and accommodating.
Only downside is the AC units are very noisy and I think they need to have the filters cleaned better as my son and I both had bad allergies after staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2014

Dear rrgeorgia,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry for the inconvenience the noise from the a/c caused you. I am pleased that our staff was able to offset this displeasure with great service. I was glad to hear you did appreciate our breakfast.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 3 June 2014

At check-in we were greeted by two friendly, helpful staff. We had two requests that they were able to quickly accommodate. While I was not recognized as an IHG Rewards member, the staff member did look up and add my number to my reservation without me asking.

The rooms are large and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms are a bit small, but the sink is outside of the bathroom which helps.

The breakfast had a large variety of items including eggs, sausage, bagels, cereals, and yogurt. It was actually ready a few minutes before the start time.

The hotel is located at the edge of downtown Durham. It is within walking distance of the stores and restaurants as well as the UNH campus.

I felt the nightly rate was high for the type of hotel and location, but we did book it the day of stay and it had a high occupancy rate due to an event at the university.

Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There is no bad room. Note that the elevator is in the middle of the hotel. If your room is on the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Chinanomad
HIEDurhamManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hello China Nomad,

Thank you so much for your great review. I will be sure to share this with my amazing team. They are the true "STARS" of this hotel! Our proximity to the campus of the University of New Hampshire make us "THE PLACE TO STAY" in Durham!

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our new and improved breakfast. We hope you will stay with us again during your next visit to Durham.

Yours in Hospitality,

Steve Godin

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had business at UNH and it's the only deal in town. They don't have a shuttle from train station, and there are no local taxi services, so transportation is walking if you don't have a car. Hotel is clean, and comfortable bed, so that was good. Breakfast is included and decent buffet. Other dining options are the two gas stations or local pizza joint close by. Front desk was friendly and nice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Elyzabeth A
HIEDurhamManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hello Elyzabeth A,

Thank you so much for your kind review. Transportation can be a little tough around Durham at times due to no local cab companies being in Durham. There is a bus system that helps a little, but it does require a bit of walking. Our breakfast just received an upgrade adding some healthier options such as Turkey Sausage, Granola Cereal, and additional fruits.

Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope you stay with us again during your next visit to Durham.

Yours in Hospitality,

Steve Godin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Three Chimneys Inn
Hampton Inn Dover
#1 of 6 in Dover
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter

Been to Holiday Inn Express Durham? Share your experiences!