“Manage Your Expectations”
Review of Three Chimneys Inn

Three Chimneys Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed here with my husband for a business workshop on the campus of UNH in Durham. The Three Chimneys Inn was close so he could walk to the campus, thus allowing me to have the car for sightseeing. If you manage your expectations the accommodations are fine. Keep in mind that it is an OLD property, which adds to its charm, but with it comes some drawbacks. The room we had was small and extremely dark. We thought the flashlight in the armoire was for emergencies, but it turned out we needed it to set the thermostat in the dark hallway from the front door of our room to the living area. The walls are very thin and we could hear our neighbors conversation. Then of course with the hard wood floors we heard our upstairs neighbors a lot as they walked and moved chairs. They keep ice in an ice chest for the guests and once it was all melted and I didnt have the energy that evening to walk to the front desk to ask for some . . . The staff was polite, but service in the tavern is slow. Again, if you want a quaint get away without the modern amenities and conveniences, you might enjoy this inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank PhoebeAnnMosey
There are newer reviews for Three Chimneys Inn

Reviewed 30 September 2012

There isn't much in Durham and we choose the Three Chimneys as it was only about an hours drive from Boston Logan airport. We had a room in the main house and although we were aware that it is an old building we did feel that everything was looking a bit tired and in need of a bit of attention. The entrance doesn't feel very welcoming - the plant pot on the step at the main door needed fresh plants and the reception area is dark and lacking that welcoming feel that we have experienced in other inns. The room and ameneties were average.

The best part about the inn is the Ffrost Sawyer Tavern - this is obviously well used by the locals as it had some atmosphere, good food and live music.

The inn has some lovely features and history and we just think it needs a bit of attention to detail as first impressions count alot. There is a lovely walk down to the water.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Frosty2
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I made reservations for this past weekend, Sept 20-23, 2012 since I was told there was a wedding the following weekend and no openings. The reservation person evidently got her dates reversed because the wedding was this past weekend while we were there. Evidently we were the only non-wedding guests. The wedding party arived Fri. night and partied all throughout the night. The wedding took place on Sat. early evening with a reception in the courtyard with an open bar. At midnight they had a send off of the newlyweds with a very loud sparkler event below our window. About an hour later the attendees decided to go to bed, sort of, after conversing on the halls and stairwells for an hour or so.
Our room was on the corner overlooking the front door on one side and the courtyard on the other. The central air was broken in our room so we had to have windows open. All of the wedding events were right below one of our windows. Everyone was very loud.
We had a room in the inn this time and it was not in very good repair. The bed was worn out in that we sunk into the middle of it. The bathroom door wouldn't latch, the door on the large piece of furniture that housed the TV, coffee maker etc. was coming off it's hinges. I understand being older and having character but most things in the room were just old and worn out. When I told the front desk about not being able to sleep for 2 out of the 3 nights because of the wedding, they didn't seem to care and said "they were a little loud".
We came for our Anniversary, since we had honeymooned there and had been back for our 5th and now our 10th. We don't plan on going back. The only redeeming value was the Frostt Tavern in the basement. The food and service were excellent.
We DON'T plan on coming back.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms in the main Inn.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Respiteseeker9
Reviewed 9 September 2012

What a nightmare. They are certainly good at sales-the place sucks you in with it's beautiful gardens and lovely rooms; however, you quickly learn that managment has no idea what they are doing. I booked my wedding over a year and half in advance. Paid for rooms for my bridal party over six months in advance-paid in full! I picked specific rooms in the guest house to allow my whole party to be together and in the instance that a guest who was not part of the wedding wanted a room we would not disturb them. My family/friends took every room but three. Yet the night before the wedding I discovered they had moved several groomsmen and a bridesmaid into the main house without letting me know. The woman at the desk helped me switch two of htem-but the whole process was horrifiying-not to mention completly unnecessary! The day of the wedding I was told the guest who stayed in the bride/grooms room the night before wanted to stay so they wanted to move the bride-the bride! While waiting to speak to managment a waitress began to scold my parents and I, no one was speaking to her and we had never met her before. She then pointed out that she knew what we had gone through from other staff members-clearly they have a gossiping problem amongst staff. After much argument and explaing our pure disguest and disappointment they agreed to move the couple and leave the bride and groom HOWEVER, while the rude waitress (sara) was helping the guests move they shouted rude comments at us-clearly a very unprofessional staff. Not to mention since the guest was rude to us I can only imagine what they told him. This was just all the day of and day before the wedding. there was much drama beforehand. Pauline means well (she is the banquet head) and I do believe she is a nice person-but she cannot do her job. She has horrible communication skills and is not organized in any way! Months before the wedding when discussing the weather circumstances things got confusing (because of her inability to speak clearly) so I asked for her boss' number to which she told me "She doesn't want to hear from you." Unbelieveable. I encourage every bride to stay away-which is unfortunate. Because as rough as this all was the lower staff is truely great. Cassie does the actual weddings the night of and she is amazing!! Nicole (pauline's assistant-yet should be her boss) is also fabulous! The two of them could find a much better buisness to work for!

Good Luck!

Room Tip: All rooms are unique which is nice-but the beds are horribly uncomfortable and since they are so lar...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Cass K
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I met four of my friends from all over the country and Canada at The Three Chimneys Inn for a reunion of our musical group after nearly 40 years. The rooms are gorgeous with canopy beds and period furniture very comfortable and extremely reasonable. But what was truly wonderful were the beautiful grounds and gardens that you are free to wander and a staff that could not be more friendly or accommodating. The breakfast was wonderful and the dinner gourmet. We wandered the grounds playing our guitars and singing and just visiting like we were at the home of friends. I would recommend The Three Chimneys for a quick getaway for people in the area or a great base for touring the nearby coast of New Hampshire and southern Maine.

Room Tip: Any room is perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2012

i was pleasantly surprised the moment i saw my WONDERFUL room at three chimneys inn - spacious and charming with GREAT furnishings. the inn was beautifully restored with attention to maintaining so many original architectural features - beams, flooring, etc ... dinner in the restaurant was very good and live music created a wonderful atmosphere. breakfast was repetiive and somewhat unimaginative although the french toast was fabulous and chef was kind enought to accommodate my request for a cooked vegetable ...!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We arrived at the end of a long rainy day and were instantly cheered by the beautiful grounds and buildings. Our very large room was more than we could hope for...commodious, beautifully furnished and decorated with king 4 poster bed, fireplace, writing desk, easy chairs, etc. We pulled out our scrabble game, bottle of wine and had a lovely evening before going to sleep in such a comfortable bed. Every amenity was provided and the buffet breakfast was delicious and generous. This is truly a ten plus and one of the finest places we have ever stayed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
Holiday Inn Express Durham
The Garrison Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites
The Hotel Portsmouth
The Hotel Portsmouth
#1 of 17 in Portsmouth
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dover
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel

Been to Three Chimneys Inn? Share your experiences!