“homy place with very nice hosts”

Shaker Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Enfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2013

again very comfortable 2 nights stay. homy rooms and delicious breakfast. for me it's much better than staying in a hotel. just feel like home, clean, quiet and every room is nicely and differently decorated. Cathy is very professional at cooking. almost the most homy and delicious food I have had in US. Joe is very fun to talk to. definitely will go back again and again.

Room Tip: every room is differently and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Winnie M

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Very enjoyable 1 night stay. Home old, charming and very nicely kept. Comfortable bed, small but adequate private bath. Hosts were so pleasant and hospitable. Breakfast was delicious AND plentiful in lovely dining room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kay n
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. It made a pleasant change from the impersonal modern hotel experience. Keep in mind it is a VERY old building and was not built as a hotel. Rooms are irregularly shaped, and the timber floors creak. The owners made us very welcome, and the communal breakfast was a real treat, both in quality of food and quality of conversation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bobotheviking
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed for the first time at this BEYOND lovely Bed and Breakfast last weekend. We were visiting family in the same town and like to stay at a hotel to have a little privacy and quiet time away from everyone at the end of each day. Normally we stay at the Marriott Residence Inn in Lebanon (which is quite lovely too) but I really have been wanting to stay at a Bed and Breakfast again for a LONG time. It's been years since Hubby and I have enjoyed one. This one is less than 5 miles from his family and so the location was perfect. The Hosts, Joe and Cathy were just like family from the minute we met. Warm and inviting, I felt like I was just reunited with long lost Grandparents! Everything from the bed to the breakfast to the home was OUTSTANDING! I honestly cannot wait to go back again. I did a full write up with slideshows on my own website http://www.JoyfulJourneyist.com and you can read it (and watch the slideshows) by clicking on the BLOG link at the top of my homepage. It is dated today (October 9, 2013) in case you are reading this review at a later date. You can also just type in the search box (at the top of my blog home page): Shaker Farm B & B and it should bring it right up for you. I HIGHLY recommend this place (HOME) and will be staying here again whenever we are back in Enfield visiting family. We sleep on a Tempurpedic Cloud at home and our bed here (KING size in the Blue Room) was so comfortable, I slept solid through the night. Breakfast was FULL and FRESH baked in the morning. The other guests we shared it with quickly became family as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed the first night in the house and the second in their little cottage overlooking the lake. It was a mixed experience. We were way up on the third floor and it was claustrophobic though we did sleep quite well. The bed, a king, was very creaky but not too bad. The place is so cluttered! Cathy made us breakfast and was most personable. Well, they were both very sweet. We then went to the cottage for the second night and though the place was nice, the bed comfy and the shower super, there was no way to heat food, there was an ancient freezer with an animal research lab sticker on it (!) and no comfortable chairs to sit in. It was $125 with no breakfast. I thought their prices were too high for what you get. They are both welcoming and hospitable but I think they need to look at what they are offering, and do something about that cottage if they're going to rent it out. I wish they would unclutter their main b and b and add some necessities to the cottage. And if they don't, lower their prices. I would never stay here again or recommend this place.

Room Tip: I can't offer any tip other than stay somewhere else. Lovely people but the places both need se...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CaliforniaNana
rangerover95, Owner at Shaker Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

California Nana was a last minute guest who we tried to accommodate since they came to the area at peak season without any reservations. The B&B is a 200 year old farm house with squeaks and creaks all over the house and cannot be compared to a modern hotel or motel.
As for the cottage, it is not part of the B&B nor is it set up as one. The lakefront cottage is an 1801 Shaker house that was completely renovated and is currently up for sale. I explained to California Nana and her husband on the phone and in person when they arrived that the house was just a place to Sleep,it did not have TV or WIfi and it wasn't furnished other than the bedroom and a table and chairs in the dining area. I'm not sure why California Nana mentioned the fact that it didn't have a place to cook? It was explained that there is a country restaurant 3 minutes away where they could have breakfast since we did not have room to serve them at the B&B and they acknowledged they were fine with this arrangement.

As for the price, it is the peak season here and the price is on average or below what is offered in the area , if you could find a place to stay at the last minute.
I appreciate California Nana taking the time to write the review and acknowledge that we are nice people, they did get a good nights sleep and enjoyed the breakfast that was prepared for them and at least we went out of our way to put them up for the second night in the area where I doubt they would have found other accommodation at any price.
I would suggest anyone reading this review to also check out all the reviews on our website Shakerfarm.com and compare the comment from other guest from all over the world and then make your own judgement .

Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is an average B & B which is located quite near the road. We were very disappointed and surprised when the owner charged us a 20% surcharge for using a B&B gift certificate even though such charges are prohibited by the B&B.com site. The owner refused to refund the overcharge even when we notified him that B&B does not allow such a practice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
rangerover95, Owner at Shaker Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

We have kept our rates the same for the past five years to give our guest a good value for their money and at the same time offer a quality product. The guest could have paid directly instead of using the gift card and saved the same 20% they wanted our small business to absorb.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

This was by far the best B and B that we stayed in this trip,Joe and Cathy were welcoming and helpful giving us lots of local advice. Our room was well appointed with every detail thought out and catered for, nothing had been overlooked. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet, it was the birds that woke us! The breakfasts were varied and delicious and set in very tastefully laid out tables where everyone could chat and enjoy the food. There was so much to see and do in the area that we will definitely return to enjoy their lovely home and superb hospitality. If you are travelling in the area you would be silly to miss the opportunity to sleep here and enjoy the delights of Joe and Cathy's home.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the property and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank megagran

Been to Shaker Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!