“disappointed”

Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Authentically delicious food and drinks made fresh to order daily. Art and furnishings handcrafted in Mexico. For family, friends and community, the fiesta starts here. It's like being in Mexico without getting on a plane.
Reviewed 8 July 2014

place was not that busy they only had one waitress for our section not very attentative not one to keep up with table and beverage's etc if it was busyer I would have understood but she only had us and another table when we were there wont go back

KidTaco, Guest Relations Manager at Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Every guest is important to us and we will use it to coach our staff on the importance of not becoming complacent during the slower periods of the evening. I'm sorry that your experience with us was not the fun and festive time that we strive for.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Although Mexican purists may decry the 'americanization' of Mexican food by chain restaurants, some of the chains do a pretty good job getting close to authentic. I consider Margaritas to be one of these. The location in Exeter is right off the main highway and the restaurant is spacious with a good amount of outside seating in fair weather. On the evening we visited - a Saturday - it was not very crowded so there was no wait for a table. Indoors, the decor is distinctly Mexican with some interesting artwork. It is a pleasant environment and the booth we were in was comfortable. Service was good, but not outstanding. Free chips and salsa starts you out and we had several refills as we were pondering the menu so we actually skipped the (seemingly expensive) appetizers. The entrees are mostly in the $11 to $18 range. The 4 of us had items from all over the menu including a Fajita Salad, Burritos, Tacos, and one 'special' that had one of each main entree choices - sort of a sampler. All of us rated the food as 'good' but not great and the portions were generous. As a result, we did not try any of the desserts as we were totally stuffed. We all had beer - bottled and on draft, and the selection was pretty good.

Overall, this is a place I would recommend if you are looking for large portions at moderate prices. We plan to visit again.

KidTaco, Guest Relations Manager at Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for the review and we are happy you gave us a try. We also have some great appetizer specials in our lounge every Monday through Friday from 3 to 6 that you may be interested in. Hope you can come back soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had a quick dinner here while in town visiting friends. The location was convenient to my hotel - practically right across the street. I ordered tacos that were pretty good, but the refried beans were ridiculously spicy....I couldn't even eat them but the server did take them off of the check without me even asking. Prices are good and service is friendly!

KidTaco, Guest Relations Manager at Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks for the review. We appreciate your dining with us. Sorry to hear you felt our beans were overly spiced. Normally they are not, so we will review with our kitchen team to make sure recipes are being followed, etc. Our refried beans have been a fan favorite for years!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our meals at Margaritas are always terrific. We enjoyed this location even more as it had a large outdoor patio surrounded by a high wooden fence, so despite the location (on a busier road) you felt relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Half the patio is tented so if you wanted to stay out of the sun you had the option. The waitress kept our salsa and chips flowing and the guacamole portion was huge. I had the white sangria which was tasty and somewhat fruity, but not strong. We had baby chimichangas, which came with 4 pieces, and a shrimp salad. The dressing on the salad was delicious but there were only 4 small pieces of medium sized shrimp which was disappointing for an entree salad. Our waitress was helpful and secured crayons for the kids to use. Great location near the Fairfield Inn, and close to several shopping areas. Thumbs up!

Thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed the great outdoors with us. Come back soon!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I met here recently with old high school friends while visiting the area. The restaurant was busy on a Friday night, though we had no trouble getting a table in the section of a server who one of my friends knew, "John." The cushion-less chair I initially chose, sat lower than the others, so I had to move (with my back toward the front door), which I didn't care for, though the second (cushioned) chair sat higher and put me at better height at the dinner table.

Margarita's provides a pleasant atmosphere of "Americanized Mexican" with faux Mexican décor, music, food, and competitive prices. Our server was personable, efficient and helpful throughout our dinner experience, and did especially well considering that he had only been waiting tables for about a month now. We started with a diet pepsi, traditional frozen margarita, and a "lime in the coconut" margarita: the latter which fell a bit short of expectation. John also brought complimentary salsa and chips. For dinner my friends ordered the taco salad (without bowl), and the original fish taco meal: both enjoyed their dinners. I had the Margaritas famous taster (a chicken burrito, cheese enchilada, and ground beef taco, with refried beans and rice). It 'hit the spot' as I was hungry, but was taste and quality were "just okay."

I like Margarita's, generally, but find that, in terms of food, the Portland, Maine locations do a better job than the Exeter location did on this night. I will go back, but most likely not to Exeter.