“Couldn't ask for a better place to spend Memorial Day”

Inn by the Bandstand
Ranked #1 of 3 Exeter B&B and Inns
Shelton, Connecticut
“Couldn't ask for a better place to spend Memorial Day”
Reviewed 30 May 2011

What a great escape indeed! My wife and I are celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary this weekend and we are so glad we came here!! A very historic town with a very historic inn. We love having this time away to rest and relax, and enjoy each other again. It's neat being in the center of town and watch the Memorial Day Parade without leaving the bedroom. Great hospitality from Jim and Kate. I definitely recommend coming here. We stayed in the Lakeheath Lodge.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank slwolfe73
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, 24 June 2011
You guys were an absolute joy to have here! Kate and I thoroughly enjoyed our chat with you in the morning. You gave us such great marketing ideas and really help us focus our efforts.

There's always something going on downtown and since we are located in the heart of everything, we get to see it all. In fact, most the presidential candidates make a stop and hold rallies just right outside our door... we've already had three! On weekends, there's always someone holding an event in town. Never a dull moment! Glad you got to see small town America on Memorial Day!! --Jim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Whitman, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We went to the Inn by the Bandstand to celebrate our engagement. I thought we needed to just get away from our daily life and just focus on 'us'. I am SO glad we picked the Inn by the Bandstand. We live south of Boston and Exeter, NH is only 1.5 hours away. We stayed two nights in the Windsor Suite which has a king size bed and a jaccuzi. My fiance surprised me by ordering breakfast delivered up to our room on our second morning (at the suggestion of the Innkeeper Jim). It was so nice not to have to get dressed and go down to the dining room for breakfast. The first night we went out to 11 Water Street (a restaurant, again, at the suggestion of the innkeeper) and we had a great meal and we also got 20% off because the inn has a program that if you show your room key at certain stores/restaurants you get discounts. The second night we ate at the chinese food restaruant (I cant remember the name) which is right behind the inn. It was nice to walk to the resaurants and not have to worry about driving. The inn also had cookies in the main hallway each evening which was nice to have that little sweet after coming in from dinner. We will definately go back to this inn. Possibly in the fall when the leaves change.

Room Tip: check the website as each room is different
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LuckyLady101
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
I'm so pleased you had such a wonderful time with us. We, indeed, have so much to offer those looking to get away and celebrate their love. We're some old romantics here so be sure and let us know that you are coming to celebrate romance. Be sure to check out our great romantic packages. I'm sure there's one to please every heart.

And to make everyone's stay here an even better value, we do offer numerous discounts at local merchants and restaurants that the big-box hotel chains don't. Just show your room key!
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed at Inn by the Bandstand when we were visiting Phillips Exeter Academy with our teenage son. It was the perfect choice—the school is a five-minute walk from the inn. We booked a suite. Our son's room had twin beds and ours had a very comfortable queen. Breakfast was delicious and our hosts, Jim and Kate, were charming. The perfect place to stay if you are visiting the school—or just looking for a weekend get-away.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank EBC1950
Park your car in OUR lot and leave it there! We are so close to everything, ESPECIALLY Phillips Exeter Academy! We provide so much comfort and charm compared to the big-box chain hotels, from where you have to drive and find parking in downtown Exeter... good luck with that!

I hope you enjoyed your family suite. The Williamsburg and Sheffield Suites have a queen bed in the main room (with sofa AND loveseat), then two twin beds in the second room. There's lots of room to spread out and get comfortable! Kids and parents have their own space, and as any parent knows, when you can get that while traveling, you grab it!
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I went on line to look for a weekend get away. We had a blast! Jim and Katie are wonderful hosts. Our room was comfortable and inviting. The breakfasts were delicious! We chatted with the other guests and had multiple conversations with Jim. To me a great place to stay means the people that are there as well! I wish it was warmer! Close to downtown and other small towns around. We will definately be going there again. If you are a B&B person this one is one you shouldn't miss.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
I am so pleased you had a nice time! It was soooo cold that weekend, huh! Good thing our rooms have nice, warm cozy fireplaces to snuggle up to!

Come see us in the summer months. Our back patio beckons folks to sit in a nice, lush oasis in the center of all the downtown, kind of like a secret garden. We feature comfy outdoor furniture, beautiful plantings, and gurgling fountains. --Jim
New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We stayed at the Inn with another couple recently. We wanted to get away, not go too far and have the ability to walk to dinner and shops. This Inn is perfect for this AND the value is outstanding. We've stayed in many inns around NH, Vermont and Maine and some of their nightly room rates are quite expensive. The Inn at the Bandstand rates are fantastic and won't break the bank. Each inn is old and detailed, decorated in period items, known for comfy beds and warm hospitality - a perfect description for this inn too.

We sat down for breakfast, really just looking for some coffee and maybe a little fruit or a muffin and we were served a fantastic plate of sausage, fresh fruit, and blueberry syrup covered hot cooked pastries that were like waffle/french toast pieces mated to each other with a very light cream cheese. Delicious!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EricinNH
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay here. We take pride in our breakfasts. No bagels and cream cheese here! Only fresh fruit, home-baked pastries and delicious fresh entrees for our guests!

We do view ourselves as a great value, especially when compared to the big-box chain hotels that have sprung up in town. Neither are as convenient to the downtown as we are, which provides our guests with the best in dining and shopping right outside our door. No parking hassles here!

You are a lovely couple and we hope to have you come back soon!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 January 2011

yes, the rooms are comfy and pretty, but the service and the mediocre quality of the breakfast leave me surprised this is a Select Registry Inn. Select Registry has incredibly high standards for their inns, and we tend to go only to those listed because the stay will match the price, and your expectations. Here we had to roam the hallways in the morning looking for someone, ANYONE, who could get us coffee (other guests were having to do this as well). The cookies, while warm, were clearly slice and bake. And the meal, while tasty, was not high-quality nor delicious. In fact the owner bragged openly about how he had cut corners to make our meal. Excuse me? Considering what we had paid to stay there this was offensive. plus a dog wandered around under the tables, licking your feet. It's an okay stay in a rather quaint but dull area of New Hampshire, but considering how many AMAZING inns we've stayed in on Select Registry's roster, I'm surprised this one is permitted to be included.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
ExeterBandstand, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this review, 7 February 2011
All reviews, including ones that are critical, are helpful to our business. This review however has many factual flaws to which I feel compelled to respond.

It is noted that this review was submitted on January 30, 2011 regarding a stay that occurred on July 13, 2010, six months prior. Maybe this reviewer got some of their information confused with another stay at another inn where they stayed during the duration between their stay with us and the time of this review.

Our 24/7 coffee, cocoa, and tea bar is located on the main floor hallway of our building. Our guests pass by this area it many times to get to their guest rooms. In addition, we point out this amenity on our tour of the inn, which every guest is treated to when they check in. This guest may have forgotten this part of their tour.

We take enormous pride in our made-from-scratch cookies, which we serve warm, right out of the oven, every evening for our guests to enjoy. We are sorry that this guest could not experience that ‘homemade’ taste.

This guest’s comment of “the owner bragged openly about how he had cut corners to make our meal” is simply not true. Why would a business owner like me say something like that? We also take extreme pride in our specially prepared (again from scratch) breakfasts. From quiches, to overstuffed blueberry pancakes, to sausage and cheese baked eggs and much more….. We take PRIDE in both our breakfasts and great service!

Our beloved dog, Gizmo (a 4 lb Imperial Shih Tzu) sometimes slips into the dining room when enticed by a guest. We try hard to keep him out of the dining room, but occasionally, he sneaks in when coaxed. When we are aware of this happening, we quickly address the situation. I’m sorry this guest took offense.

Again, we find that all reviews are important. I am sorry that this reviewer did not find their accommodation to their liking. I wish that during their stay, they had brought their concerns to my attention so that I could have made every effort to make their stay a more enjoyable one for them.

Jim
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stayed for one night on the way north to pick my son up from summer camp in Maine. I just needed a place for the night, but since I was travelling alone didn't want to be in a big hotel. The Inn by the Bandstand was just right...quiet room in the back, comfortable bed, and delicious breakfast. The inn is smack in the middle of town so you can just shop and browse right out of the front door. Lots of great little restaurants in town for dinner and I enjoyed walking up the street to Exeter Academy to check out this beautiful private school.
The staff at the inn was friendly, they answered my questions, and went out of their way to make me feel welcome as a single traveller. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown
Hampton Village Resort
Hampton Village Resort
#17 of 41 in Hampton

Been to Inn by the Bandstand? Share your experiences!