“Wonderful Stay”

Inn by the Bandstand
Ranked #1 of 3 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This was my first experience with a B&B. This historic inn has a lot of character and is beautifully decorated. The innkeeper, Susan and her sister, Laurie, were wonderful hosts who seemed like family by the time we left. Their breakfasts were special: coffee, juice, a beautifully served fruit plate followed by an egg and cheese dish and a muffin. I highly recommend this inn!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cambridge which has twin beds--unusual in a B&B. It was quiet at night, so go...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sally A
There are newer reviews for Inn by the Bandstand

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Excellent, I will return without a doubt.
We had the family suite. Two separate bedrooms and a bathroom.

Strengths;
Very clean, bed very conforble, enough space, good breakfast of an omelette, a muffin, bacon and fruit. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and herbal tea are available at all times.
The neighborhood is charming, near several restaurants a few minutes walk. The home was very professional and courteous. Possibility to rent bicycles.

Weaknesses;
The room is just off the kitchen, so a little noise in the morning when the owner prepares the breakfast, but it smells good! Noise beyond street as the hotel is located directly in the small city center. Breakfast is at 9 am, not before or after. No menu.
The room is directly next to the backdoor entrance , so few come and go and the noise it brings.

Room Tip: Do not take the family suite room if you have a light sleep. Ask for the second or third floor rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank zara1213
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My husband and I found a Groupon Getaway to The Inn by the Bandstand in Exeter, NH. Not only was it our first B&B stay, it was also our first trip up to New England. We couldn't have asked for better hosts with Jim and Kate. Breakfast every morning was delicious! They gave us fantastic recommendations for restaurants in the area and things to do. The location was great - less than an hour to Boston, 15 minutes to the town of Portsmouth, 20 minutes to Hampton Beach, 20 minutes to Kittery Outlets in Maine - it was a perfect central location to keep us close to everything we wanted to do.

We wish Jim and Kate the best of luck. I believe today is your wedding day! I hope you had great weather and a wonderful time! Good luck to both of you in your future adventures!

Mike & Melissa

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lakeheath Lodge. My hope for our summer trip was Somerset Cottage, but it was alre...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My best friend and I had been trying to plan a girls weekend for a very long time. We wanted to go some place where we could relax, shop, go to the beach and leave our guys at home :-) I found a groupon for Inn By The Bandstand and knew it was going to be great! From the moment we got there (only about 2.5 hours from the Hartord area) we knew we had made the best choice. Innkeeper Jim was amazing! He had the best information, recommendations, cooking skills and company. The Inn is beautiful and clean. We got to do everything we set out to do and more. This is the ideal girls weekend!!!! We enjoyed ourself so much that we are already planning to go back! This place is a must for girls looking to getaway for a few days :-)

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Ricciojem32
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We have never been to a B&B. We had a great time, the place was old but it great shape. It was clean and the service was very friendly. I am a little sad that Kate was not in, we connected when I called to make the reservation. It is sad that they are selling because we would of loved to tell all our friends from Montreal (5 1/2 hour drive) to stay there at least once. All of Jim's advice were helpfull and really appriciated. Hope to see you in Montreal Jim and Kate. Take care and remerber: Good things happen to good people!!! Julie & Mario

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie B
Jim and Kate L, Owner at Inn by the Bandstand, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Well, first of all CONGRATULATIONS our your nuptials! We are very pleased you chose us to spend your honeymoon. You took advantage of many of our suggestions and am so glad you had a great time as you embark on your future together! Please remember us for your anniversaries!!

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I am a repeat customer at the Inn, by choice. When I walk in I instantly feel like I am at home, from the common area to the room it's self. Each room was tastefully different and offers different things. On my last stay I enjoyed a weekend out on the patio with friends. The service from both Jim and Jenna was great, they always seemed to have a smile on their face. I will be coming back soon, and thanks Jenna, Jim, and Kate for the wonderful stay!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Abby S

Thank you for your kind words. We are fortunate to have regular customers as yourself. It was a great weekend out on the patio with the margarita machine chugging out drinks from afternoon to late night! Thanks for staying with us and we're looking forward to see you during your next visit!

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We spent 2 nights here. The bathrooms were renovated and clean. We had " dust bunnies" around the bed that had been there for quite some time. Jim seemed stressed and not really concern for the guests as his wife is not at the Inn currently. The backpatio had not been touched in years . Unable to sit out back but ironically it's the only way in after 6pm. Nice entrance!!!
THe front hall needed new carpeting[had stains ]. Breakfast was a 8:30 sharp and you were served whatever Jim cooked. Very small portions and very blah!!!!
Overall, it was a great disapointment. Probably beautiful in it's hayday. 20 Years ago.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lodge. Nice corner unit but quite a bit of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Liz F

I am sorry that you had these perceptions and that your stay was not up to your enjoyment.

I remember your visit and I remember clearly asking you upon check out if everything was ok during your stay and you did not mention any of these items to me. I remember you stating that you had a lovely visit and I personally handed you the Trip Advisor card and asked if you would be kind enough to give the inn your recommendation on this site. At no time, during your stay or upon checkout, did you bring any of your concerns directly to me. So I am very perplexed to read this review. If you brought any maintenance and/or cleaning issues to my attention, I would most definitely have gone up to your room with you and viewed and addressed any of your concerns. You did not give me the chance to view what you say you saw at the time you saw it. I can tell you that I personally clean every room, between guest visits, and I also hire additional cleaning staff frequently to do ‘deep’ cleaning in our guest rooms and common areas. So to find ‘dust bunnies around the bed that have been there for quite some time’ is simply very hard for me to accept. Also, I have recently posted pictures of our lovely backyard patio on our facebook page. I do acknowledge that after each heavy rain, I have to get out to the back patio and blow off any leaves/apples that have fallen, but for you to state ‘the back patio had not been touched in years’ is simply not a true statement. The Lexington Minutemen, who visit the inn each year for the annual Exeter Independence Celebration, and were with us as recently as 7/20-7/22/12, had a lovely time enjoying our back patio area (again see pictures posted on our facebook page).

Our inn is a former residential home that has been converted into a 9 room bed and breakfast. The charm and distinction is why guests choose to stay at bed and breakfasts. Our typical guest wants to experience visiting an inn where they are treated like ‘family’ not ‘customers’. Just like a residential home, we do not have a commercial kitchen where meals can be prepped and kept warm for extended periods of time. In order for us to serve fresh, hot breakfasts, we have one breakfast seating time. Our breakfast is served at 8:30am on weekdays and 9:00am on weekends. We offer an unlimited, self serving, fresh fruit salad, coffee and three different fruit juices with which to choose each morning. Our breakfast dishes vary from 3 slices of French toast (or 3 homemade pancakes) with 2 slices of bacon or an egg dish with a large fresh made muffin and 2 slices of bacon. Most of our guests comment on how full they are after such a generous breakfast and often skip lunch because they have indulged at our breakfast tables. If your more generous appetites were not satisfied with the serving sizes of our hot meals, you could have enjoyed more fresh fruit salad that I mentioned above is unlimited and self serving.

I am certainly sorry that you feel your stay was a disappointment. Had you brought your concerns to me at the time of your visit, I would have been more than happy to correct your concerns.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Exeter Inn
Exeter Inn
#2 of 3 in Exeter
Fairfield Inn & Suites Portsmouth Exeter
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern
Hampton Inn by Hilton Amesbury
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown

Been to Inn by the Bandstand? Share your experiences!