“would stay again”

Exeter Elms Family Campground
Maine
“would stay again”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed at Exeter Elms Campground for two nights and wished we could have stayed longer! It was the weekend after the 4th of July. There were planty of activities for the kids, face painting, pool, pig roast and italian ice. The seasonal campers were very friendly and helpful! There was also a playground there but we never used it, the pool was the biggest hit. I thought that the water was a little cold, but the kids didn’t mind at all. The basketball court looked a little beat up and was a far walk for the kids so we never used that either. We camped in a large 5th wheel camper so when we made our reservation we asked for a large site with full hook up. I also requested a semi private site since we brought our two pugs. This is the only negative part about our stay, when we arrived we were told that me had been moved to another site. We went with the flow and decided to check it out. When we got to site #1 I thought it was a joke! It’s right at the beginning of the camp ground so everyone drives past it (NO privacy at all!) and was SMALL! By small I mean and dirt drive way area for the camper, and a 5x10 piece of grass. It didn’t even look of feel like camping at all! I think I would have rather set the camper up at home and made a weekend of that! After the long ride my husband wanted to just set up so I went for a walk with the kids and dogs to check out rest of the place. By far #1 is the #1 worst campsite they offer!!! When we got back I went up to the office and explained the situation and they happily changed our site to one I saw when walking. Our new site was perfect! It was large, no one on either side of us and really felt like camping. It was also on the river, not that made a difference to us. The river looks more like a swamp and for us it just made it so no one could camp behind us. We also drove to Hampton beach and that was only about 15mins away! Overall, I would say we enjoyed our trip and would stay there again, just only this time it would be for more then two nights!!

Room Tip: NOT SITE #1, you want something away from the entrance!
5 Thank c_lynn129

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Nashua, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed at Exeter Elms last year and had a great time. It was a family event and everyone enjoyed all the amenities. The pool was awesome, bathrooms clean and everyone seemed very friendly. We have another trip planned there for the 2012 season. We camp all over NH and this is one we like to hit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Julie J
Revere, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I am a first year seasonal (used to be an advent tenter) and have camped at most of the campgrounds in the area. I find that there is entertainment every weekend unlike most campgrounds I have visited.

The staff is great, anything I need they seem to be in a hurry to provide. I do use the showers and there is always plenty of hot water although yes they are coin operated but I have never spent more than 50 cents for a shower.

I have a small dog and do walk him regularly there are bags placed strategically around the campground so there are no excuses not to pick up after your pet. This allows me to see the entire campground and it is very well maintained.

My site is on the main road near the shower area and I have seen some rowdy campers but security is very quick to put a stop to anything loud or if people do get out of hand. Quiet time on the weekends is 11pm through 8am and I have never been woken up in the middle of the night or early in the morning.

There are plenty of activities for both children and adults and people are very sociable so my family and I can hardly wait for the weekend so we can go back.

So to Audra, Dana and their entire staff thank you for making our weekends so much fun :)

5 Thank steveiac
Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This place is camping, it's wooded and pets are allowed!! Very nice pool and bathrooms are very clean!! Coin op showers but that works out well so the showers aren't always busy (you don't have someone spending an hour in the shower) It is quiet after after 10 trust me that is enforced ;) I had a great time and will be going back many times!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank rhonda p
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Took my fiancee and daughter up here. Despite the many negative reviews, we decided to try it anyway. The pool area was very clean and the activities were fantastic. Our daughter had a great time. I can not believe that people are complaining about mosquitoes. It is camping. Put some bug juice on. They have kayak and canoe rentals, a large grassy area for kids to play wiffle ball or what-have-you. They have horseshoes and plenty of walking around space. Peaceful for the most part.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Michael O
Narragansett, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I first went here 2 years ago & was told the new owner had been in hotels & would be doing many upgrades. The 1st time I stayed here there was flooding & I had to evacuate to another site during the evening.No one seemed to care about the inconvenience and the seasonal camper who was an employee was rude.The next day she yelled at me & my family as we were viewing the campground & finding out whether or not we were allowed to go back to our original sites. This year I went back, expecting the improvements spoken of on my 1st visit. NONE were made. The seasonal campers were mostly losers with atrocious looking sites.One appeared to be a group of devil worshippers, with skulls as decorations and "666" on a table! Some people picked up after their dogs, but many did not. Nor did they care that the dogs barked constantly. Many people allowed children to scream at early hours (5:30-6:00am was normal). There was very little consideration for others. I actually stepped in dog mess after an inconsiderate person brought their dog onto my site, let it go & did not pick it up! Thank goodness I was wearing shoes. The campground is full of bugs, due to the fact that a large portion of it is wet, overgrown & maintenance is not taken care of often. The bathrooms were very clean, which was a surprise considering the state of the campground. The showers cost 25 cents for 2.5 minutes and 25 cents for an additional 2 minutes. One cannot add more than 2 quarters at a time, so if you need more than 4.5 minutes, you have to get out of the shower and then add more coins. The showers were VERY hot, which was nice. There is a food truck, but the owners have not been able to work out an agreement with any vendor because they want 60% of the profits & will not allow the selling of anything they sell in the camp store. Therefore, the truck is going to waste, just sitting there. There was not one bit of entertainment on the 4th of July week. You cannot swim in the lake because of the poor water quality. I suppose it would be nice if you like bugs, because that is about the only entertainment available! My sister's site had fleas in it & we were bitten. Some employees were nice, but most of the campers were not. I heard the couple who own the campground are divorcing & that is why nothing is being done to maintain the campground & they are fighting over who gets control of it. It is sad they are making campers suffer due to mismanagement.

2 Thank Leigh C
Wilder, Vermont
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Oh i will never go back here again..there is no hot water in the shower areas that is why they didn't mention about showers on their site.There is a coin slot where you have to put a 25 cent for 3minute shower or sumthing but still didnt work ..do not waste your coins!!!!lots of mosquitos and of course they like biting me son of a vitch!If i were you i will never try to camp on this place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank switbut3rfly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Hampton Village Resort
#11 of 41 in Hampton
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern

Been to Exeter Elms Family Campground? Share your experiences!