“Tried it out for one season...now on season 4!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Exeter
Exeter Elms Family Campground
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Our family used to camp in Salisbury, Ma and we decided to move to a campground that offered more activities and full hookups for seasonals, so Exeter Elms was where we went. We moved in at the end of a summer, and all our neighbors were so ready to help us set up and get acquainted with the place. When we went back the next spring, everyone remembered our names and invited us to join their group activities. My teenagers made friends quickly and spend most of their time outside, enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. Yes, there are mosquitoes after dusk, but then, it is a wooded campground and bugs do live there. If you like camping, you don't mind smelling like bug spray!! The pool is fantastic, and the bocce ball court is a big hit. It would help if the basketball court was moved to a closer location within the campground. We bought a new trailer this year, and the owner was very helpful with our move. It is a great place to have lots of fun and entertainment, but at the same time is very peaceful if you are looking to relax.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Laurie L

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Never been camping before, so I was surprised that also had clean bathrooms, playgrounds, entertainment, outdoor movie, pool, store, etc. Crowded like a refugee camp, but well managed and with strict rules to keep the place under control. Spent almost as much on firewood (6x @$6/bundle) than on the camping fee ($39). Overall, an inexpensive vacation and great for children. Bring DEET (insect repellent). The kids had fun and want to go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jeffreyross5
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We found that this campground had great reviews online, so we chose to visit. Once we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly office attendant. The office was a cute little building that seemed very inviting. We were asked to pay a 10.00 refundable fee for a gate pass. That was fine! We finally arrived at the site we chose. It seemed nice at first. However, after spending a few minutes setting up we noticed a foul smell which smelled like vomit or spoiled milk. We asked to move so we did. The next site seemed OK but, also had a terrible smell of rotting garbage. There were several rotting mushrooms in the area. The water was stagnant and nasty. The bathrooms were fair. They were old. The showers were .25 cents for 2.5 minutes which we were not told upon check-in. The fly's were unbearable. Probably the rotting mushrooms. If you are looking for a rustic red-neck camping experience this is your place.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We booked this campground based on their boasting of "great fishing in a river". Yeah, more like fishing in a murky pond. The water was murky and swampy, and did not seem like a river. It was a bust,and it pretty much ruined our time. We paid more for a "water view" and we were told you can fish from your chair. Sure, you can fish, but don't count on catching anything but frogs and mosquito bites. Don't even bother paying the extra for the fishing, not worth it! They have a basketball court, which you have to trek through about a 20 foot mud puddle to get to, and then realize that they have a picnic table in the middle of the court. The worst part was the Trains you hear all night long, along with the highway construction. That took the cake! I really wish we had went elsewhere, this was a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! There are way too many camping places in NH to waste time here!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Nice place, quiet, clean, lots of wooden areas. But.....near a small river with almost no current and on the other side, a swamp. In the daytime not so bad. But after the sun goes down you got to get inside. Unbaerable !!We had bought wood ( $ 6.oo for 5 logs ) And didn't used them for a week. Brought them back home.
Beside that, the showers works like parking meters...25 cents for 2 minutes !!1
The toilet paper roll doesn't roll. They put a kind of rod inside so the roll has to be worked by hand and you have to be patient.

As I write this, we have been here for 3 days and I've got around 30 insect bites on each of my ankles !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank thecheap
Reviewed 14 July 2012

To all you fellow campers out there, whether your camping for a weekend or a week or more, Exeter elms has been my home away from home for 26 years. I have brought up my five children in this camp ground and now my grand children. I was never one for camping but my husband begged me to give it a try, so we purchased a pop up trailer and went threw many flyers because if i didn't like camping I could leave and be home within an hour. Exeter Elms was the third place i called because with five kids I didn't want to be nickeled and dimed by my kids every five minutes. We planned a week trip, loved it!!!!!! my kids had a blast they had plenty to do and the seasonals were very friendly, as was employees, management, Over the years i have met and treasured so many friends who have come and gone. Please don't listen to a few bad revues judge it for yourself you will love it. The owners are great and friendly people, who do their best to keep weekly, weekend and seasonal people happy. It works I have been here for 26 years and have enjoyed it so much. Try it out for yourself you will love it. Kathie Burke

Room Tip: If you want quite and very private the ash section is good for you. If you like being with people an...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank kathleenb B
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed at Exeter Elms Campground for two nights and wished we could have stayed longer! It was the weekend after the 4th of July. There were planty of activities for the kids, face painting, pool, pig roast and italian ice. The seasonal campers were very friendly and helpful! There was also a playground there but we never used it, the pool was the biggest hit. I thought that the water was a little cold, but the kids didn’t mind at all. The basketball court looked a little beat up and was a far walk for the kids so we never used that either. We camped in a large 5th wheel camper so when we made our reservation we asked for a large site with full hook up. I also requested a semi private site since we brought our two pugs. This is the only negative part about our stay, when we arrived we were told that me had been moved to another site. We went with the flow and decided to check it out. When we got to site #1 I thought it was a joke! It’s right at the beginning of the camp ground so everyone drives past it (NO privacy at all!) and was SMALL! By small I mean and dirt drive way area for the camper, and a 5x10 piece of grass. It didn’t even look of feel like camping at all! I think I would have rather set the camper up at home and made a weekend of that! After the long ride my husband wanted to just set up so I went for a walk with the kids and dogs to check out rest of the place. By far #1 is the #1 worst campsite they offer!!! When we got back I went up to the office and explained the situation and they happily changed our site to one I saw when walking. Our new site was perfect! It was large, no one on either side of us and really felt like camping. It was also on the river, not that made a difference to us. The river looks more like a swamp and for us it just made it so no one could camp behind us. We also drove to Hampton beach and that was only about 15mins away! Overall, I would say we enjoyed our trip and would stay there again, just only this time it would be for more then two nights!!

Room Tip: NOT SITE #1, you want something away from the entrance!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank c_lynn129
Also consider these accommodations in or near Exeter
Hampton Inn & Suites Exeter
Hampton Village Resort
#10 of 41 in Hampton
Holiday Inn Express Hampton South - Seabrook
Lamies Inn and The Old Salt Tavern

Been to Exeter Elms Family Campground? Share your experiences!