“Always Fresh and Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hammersmith Sandwich Company - MOVED

Hammersmith Sandwich Company
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Description: We are a small sandwich shop offering specialty sandwiches, salads, soups (seasonally) and hot and cold beverages.
Exeter, New Hampshire
“Always Fresh and Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Everything is always fresh and delicious, easily the best sandwich place in Exeter.
You can't go wrong with the chicken cordon blu and the buffalo chicken wrap.

• Visited June 2014

“Only the BEST!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We have been regulars for many, many visits and only wish that we lived next door so we could go every day. The sandwiches are always very creative and you can't go wrong by asking Sean or Karen for suggestions or getting the daily specials. The atmosphere is warm and friendly and it always feels like you are going to your friend's house for a great homemade meal prepared by a chef. A great lunch place located in a nice New England town.

Newmarket, New Hampshire
“Very good sandwiches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I went here one day with my daughter who had to stay home from daycare because she had a fever the previous day (don't worry - she had an earache and wasn't infectious or I would not bring her to a public eatery!). I got her the bread w/cheese from the kid's menu and I got the toasted 1/2 chicken cordon bleu. From the menu this is what is on the CB:
Grilled Chicken Breast Strips, Sliced Black Forest Ham, Swiss Cheese, Smoked Gouda Cheese & Herbed Mayo
SO, there was definitely no false advertising here. I got exactly what I asked for. It was very tasty but a little lacking in volume, I guess I would say. There was a lot of bread. It probably could have used some veggies, maybe arugula or roasted red peppers. I'm sure if I asked they would've gave me them but I didn't ask so that is on me. And regardless, it was still very delicious and the chicken was cooked well.
Another perk was that chips also came w/both sandwiches. My daughter seemed to like her "grilled cheese" too. I got a soda and a water for her and I don't think it was much more than 10-12, not bad!
As others have mentioned there isn't a ton of seating (when I was in there a big group of Phillips Exeter lacrosse kids in there which made it seem even smaller!) but there is outdoor seating in the summer and plenty of benches in Exeter or down the street at the Parkway. I will definitely return. And in total inside there is 5-6 tables total, I believe. So it isn't TINY.
OH! And the owners were very nice and service was speedy during a busy weekday lunch time!

• Visited April 2014
Kingston, New Hampshire
“Average at Best...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Although the staff are very friendly and attentive,the eat in area clean and the outdoor eating area very pleasant, the sandwiches are just average...at best...I ordered the "Sun-dried BLT" on french roll...The french roll was very underbaked and quite doughy...the lettuce looked wilted and there was very little tomato for a $7.00 plus sandwich...The "sundried" mayo sauce was ok...Overall I was disappointed... Maybe I chose the wrong sandwich...But a BLT ? A sandwich shop needs to get that one right !

• Visited April 2014
Hammersmith_Sandwich, Owner at Hammersmith Sandwich Company, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hi Ray!

We see you weren't satisfied with your BLT, and would like to apologize for your experience. Our bread is made by a local bakery, and being a hand-made product, can run ultra-soft at times. We toast it in house to better regulate the product's consistency, but it will typically be on the softer side. Several customers request the rolls be toasted longer which removes that "dough" factor you didn't like, or alternately we can make any cold sandwich on a wrap. We also have several hot sandwiches on a bakery-fresh ciabatta bread that runs more on the firm side, and may be more towards your preference.

Our produce is all fresh and local from Golden Harvest, and we use romaine rather than a traditional iceberg. It doesn't have the same crunch at iceberg, but we feel it works much better in wraps and sandwiches due to it's lack of water content. I can assure you we go through a tremendous amount of lettuce this time of year and any "wilt" you might have noticed is just the natural softness of the leaf, rather than mishandling or age. What you ate was delivered, cleaned and cut no more than a couple hours before you ate it.

Being as you weren't happy with what you had, we invite you back to try something else on the house, as I'm confident we can wow you the second time around. Just let myself or my wife know who you are and we'll be happy to feed you something more to your liking. There's a reason we're the highest-rated sandwich shop in Exeter, and it isn't because we settle at "average".

-Shawn Rafferty
HSCO
Snowmass Village, Colorado
“Excellent soups, gumbo and sandwiches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Just had the gumbo and the "cowboy" sandwich and both were excellent. My wife had the cranberry & walnut salad and loved it as well. The service was friendly and quick. We don't live in the area but if we did we would be regulars. Great job!

• Visited March 2014