“Great sushi, but that's all I've had”

Penang & Tokyo Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 51 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Great sushi, but that's all I've had”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

My friends are loyal to this place for their sushi. I tried some on my last trip to the area and found it to be very good. We always got take out and I haven't tried anything else on the menu. So I can't speak to the atmosphere, service, or other menu items.

• Visited December 2012

Hampton, New Hampshire
“Must have a new chef ... last visit was not up to par”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have eaten here many times over the years and have always had a memorable meal - great food, service - this last time we were very disappointed. The food did not come to the table as we ordered it, had to reorder both main dishes, the steak and chicken "on a stick" were poor quality cuts of meat and left a lot to be desired - we left most of the food on the dish and didn't take it home. Very disappointed and won't return again. Too bad, as one of our favorite spots to have asian cuisine, we will no longer come back - prefer the fresh food at Pink Bamboo in Portsmouth instead.

• Visited March 2012
Epping, New Hampshire
“Delicious”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Everything was wonderful. Ordered an assortment including General Tso's, Sweet and Sour Chicken, Ginger and scallion chicken, Egg Rolls, fried rice, and a Spicy Tuna Roll. The fried stuff was crispy and well flavored. Not very oily which is a plus. The Ginger and Scallion Chicken was amazing. Very impressed, especially with the large and diverse menu. The egg rolls could have had more stuffing and the fried rice could have had a tiny bit more flavor, but overall it was very good. My largest complaint was that when they packed up the take out, the sushi was on top of the hot items, so it was warmer than I would have liked it. Next time I will just ask them to put it separately. Overall it was very good and I will definitely be returning!

PS. The parking isn't very good around 6pm so be aware you may have to drive around the block a bit.

• Visited March 2012
“Consistently great Chinese and Japanese cuisine!”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Penang is my favorite place for Chinese food. It's always very delicious and it's not super fat fried the way that other places tend to do things. The Mai Tais are delicious and strong. 1 is perfect. Sometimes the wait staff can be a little stand offish but I don't go there to make friends. I would definitely recommend Penang over any other local Chinese restaurant.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Sketchy”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

As you walk into this place you may chance a quick glimpse of the kitchen, if that doesn't turn you off you will probably like the food. The staff are bruske and the whole place has a dirty unfriendly feeling. There are many other places you should try before resorting to this one.

Visited January 2012