“heavy food, not much on flavor”
Review of Steve's Diner

Steve's Diner
Ranked #17 of 53 Restaurants in Exeter
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This past 4th of July I had my second meal at Steve's Diner, with my first occurring years before and leaving me unimpressed. I should have trusted my recall on this one, b/c my second meal was very much like my first.

I get that this is a diner and I'm not coming here expecting fine cuisine. I've had plenty of diner food and have enjoyed it, but nothing about the food I had at Steve's was particularly appetizing. For my meal, I ordered Irish Eggs Benedict and a side order of spanakopita (spinach pie). The spanakopita came out first. The piece was huge, easily double what I expected, but the flavors weren't there. It seemed to be a large amount of spinach (that I am guessing had to be frozen) between two sheets of phyllo dough. Some egg and feta was present, but not much. It tasted fairly bland and needed salt (not something I would normally think of adding to spanakopita). I prefer to have spanakopita have multiple layers of phyllo and filling but this did not. As a result it really was like eating a pie of bland spinach.

The irish eggs benedict then came out with my choice of hash browns. Neither had much flavor and after finishing one of the eggs, I knew I didn't want to finish the other. The Hollandaise sauce was just a thick gravy and the corned beef hash also lacked flavor. Again this meal would benefit from some better spicing and salting.

Given that some other breakfast and lunch options exists within a half mile, I think I'll either stick with those or drive out a bit further to get an even better meal.

Been to Steve's Diner? Share your experiences!