“Excellent b and b”

Inn at Crotched Mountain
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Francestown
Inn at Crotched Mountain
Ranked #1 of 1 Francestown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Our room was lovely and clean. The owner is a great host, and excellent bartender. We met local folks in the tavern and had interesting conversations about the area. It is very convenient to the mountain. Our dog was welcome and that meant a lot.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Jib2009

Reviewed 4 November 2011

Before we booked our reservation, I read the reviews - all but one of rated the Inn as excellent. I was struck by the one from JReid74, whose a rude and intentionally damaging tirade described her stay as "horrific." Our experience was quite different. We arrived just after Hurricane Irene had knocked out power to much region. The Inn at Crotched Mountain had a generator, but the pump for their well was not working properly, so before we arrived, our hosts and thoughtfully arranged for us to stay at another inn nearby. Fortunately, the next day we were able to return to Crotched Mountain and had a wonderful stay. We found the hosts to be charming and gracious, and the food the prepared was delicious. The buildings, grounds and scenery were if anything, even more picturesque than the photos on the website. I especially enjoyed the spring-fed solar-heated pool with its view of the distant mountains - and couldn't help chuckling about how the spoiled damsel who wrote that review had been upset that there was a bug or two in an outdoor pool!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary W
Reviewed 31 July 2011

More detailed review later but for now.......
I had to post this quick reply to the "gentleman" who rated this beautiful, historic inn as "Horrific"!!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!....
my wife and I (and my 84 year old dad) had an absolutely wonderful three day "unwind" at this treasured B&B!!!! A place where you can travel back to a time when life was so much less complicated, artificial and stressful! For those who enjoy the "olden days" lifestyle, book your stay as soon as you can plan a get-away. I guarantee you will thank me but, more importantly, thank John and Rose who have owned the inn for 35+ years!!

So MR "HORRIFIC"....... please hold your stuffy "Ritz Carlton lifestyle expectation" comments as you stand alone in your opinion of this serene inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank well_traveled_52
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Stayed here for a wedding. The owner was short-tempered rude and unwelcoming, no television????, ironwas 1980's and cord was frayed. The entire place was rented for a freidn's wedding party. Clearly we would need to iron and at $215 can't you go to Target and invest on some for your guest? No plugs available to charge phones in room. Mattress and bedding was completely dated and hard. Asked for two extra towels and that was a problem. Front desk was not open despite the arrival of our party all at the same time and there is a note and phone on the wall to call???? Pathetic and ridiculous for the price. Spiders, Insects and Dirt in pool.

Room Tip: Don't stay here go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JReid74
Reviewed 6 June 2011

This is a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life and just relax in a serene, calm atmosphere. My boyfiend and I stayed at the resort just 2 days and were so in love. The hotel accommodations were great! It was like living in our own home. The view was so beautiful and to top it all off a very relaxing hot tub to take away all the stresses of everyday life. A great place to take your loved one for a romantic getaway or even the whole family. Not too far from Boston but you'll even enjoy the ride down, seeing the beauties of nature at it's best! Two days was not enough, we will definitely be back before the summer is out!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend over President's Day weekend and had an overall excellent time. I've stayed at a range of NH accommodations (26 years of family vacations and counting), and I've worked in several b&bs and hotels. In my opinion, this place hits just the right blend of historical charm and sincere hospitality, without being kitschy. It was exactly what we wanted for our NH weekend.

John, who seems to be the front-of-house half of the couple who runs the inn, was extremely helpful and welcoming at check-in. After showing us to our room, he brought coffee and homemade apple brownies (unexpected and very much appreciated) to our room. He is the bartender on Saturday nights when the small in-house tavern is open, and he is the main breakfast waiter. Apparently he also makes ice cream in his spare time. And yet he is never too busy to call up a local restaurant for you. The man is amazing.

The facilities were excellent for the age of the building, and everything was very clean. We especially enjoyed the fireplace in the parlor in the evenings and in the breakfast room in the mornings. There are a few common areas to spread out and read or play a game, so you don't feel like you need to spend all of your time in your room. I also was impressed with how warm the inn was, given that it was an old building and it was about 5 - 20 degrees out on the days that we stayed. The abundant heat was great most of the time, but at night we had trouble figuring out exactly how best to adjust the steam radiators so we wouldn't broil in our sleep. We both woke up a few times to deal with this.

The location is fairly remote, but near some beautiful stuff. If you ski, Crotched Mountain is just a few minutes down the road. If you want to snowshoe (which we did), you can walk to the end of the road and tromp around in the woods, or just walk through the inn's backyard. I'm sure it's stunning in the summer and fall, with plenty of hiking nearby and a swimming pool on the hill overlooking the mountains.

Last thing: breakfast was delicious and freshly made. Coffee was plentiful and out early. And the tavern, which is only open on Saturday nights, is a great experience, with a crew of chatty locals filling the bar. The food is tasty and reasonably priced, and saves you a 20 - 40 minute drive to the closest restaurants. Drinks are a little pricey, but you are paying for the ambiance, and you get to hang out by the fireplace while you sip them.

Overall, we felt that the Inn at Crotched Mountain was a great value for the service and accommodations we experienced there. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for low key, comfortable accommodations in rural NH, for any season.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MohoRio
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We visited the Inn for a weekend getaway. From the moment we arrived we were meet with warm, welcoming hospitality from the Inn keeper, John. The Inn is simply beautiful. It is cozy, warm, with country charm. The service and food were wonderful! The innkeepers are very friendly and aim to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The views from the Inn are incredible. The inn overlooks a valley with spectacular mountainside views. I will absolutely be visiting the Inn in the future :)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Been to Inn at Crotched Mountain? Share your experiences!