“Gone but not Forgotten”

and up
Full Day White Mountain Tour with Cannon Mountain Aerial Tram
Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Franconia
More attraction details
Owner description: Formerly New Hampshire's best known landmark, this rock formation resembling a man's profile collapsed on May 3, 2003.
Manchester, NH
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Gone but not Forgotten”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Although I've lived in NH 30+ years, never actually stopped at this site. Always look up to see the Old Man even though I know he's no longer there.

Thought we'd stop now to see how they did the sculpture to put the Old Man back on the Mountain. Pretty clever how they did it. I expected it to be much bigger than it was but I guess in order to have it look proportionate it would have to be small.

It was very cold and we had had recent rain and then a freeze so the path flooded and froze and was very difficult to walk over. Didn't look like any salt had been put down.

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I guess we missed the memo that the old man was gone. We took the short walk, which was not bad for us but the uphill portion seemed difficult for those with mobility impairments. Judging by the looks on their faces on the way back to the parking lot, I would say many of them did not expect to take that walk only to see a recreation of the old man.

The park has poles with silhouettes that you line up with the mountain face to see what the old man looked like. Given that the old man's likeness is on highway signs and such, I can see that they are desperately clinging to this image, however I think tourists should be given more forewarning on the exit signs that the OLD MAN IS GONE. I am with another reviewer who commented that this was pretty lame, just let him go. We were sorry we wasted our time. If we want to see a recreation, his face is on every highway sign. At least it was free.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank CristyW
Warner,NH
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Old Man Tribute”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

They did a nice job to recreate the illusion of the old man, but I miss the original. There is a gentle walk down to the lake to the viewing area, with nice views along the way.

Visited October 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
244 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 306 helpful votes
“Thoughtful Memorial for NH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The Old Man of the Mountain is located near the Cannon Mt. Aerial Tramway. Even though his face has crumbled, it’s worth the short hike out to the “memorial.” It’s an easy paved walk, the area is pretty and you can be out and back within 20-30 minutes. The Profile Plaza is very nicely done. It took me a minute to figure out how the “profilers” worked, but once I did, it was pretty cool. The way they’ve recreated the Old Man’s profile is pretty ingenious.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Beentheredonethat777
Penns Grove, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Old Man is Gone, but experience not all lost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Great Stone Face was a rather miraculous rock formation on the mountain, most dramatic, one can see why folks such as Daniel Webster and Nathaniel Hawthorne were so impressed. After being there for centuries (at least), it couldn't last forever and fell in May 2003. I had seen it many times over several decades and kept coming back for the wonder and sense of peace. Saw it again in late 2003 and felt like a friend had gone. Now they have installed a plaza and some structures at what was the viewpoint which, while nothing can replace the Old Man, do give a sense of what it looked like. Not a wasted trip: read the postings, find the spot (based on your height), and look up, get a sense of how privileged we were to have had it as long as we did.

Visited September 2013