“Convenient Location for Hikers”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Franconia
Lafayette Campground
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Convenient Location for Hikers”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband is through-hiking the Appalachian Trail and I decided to join him (in the evenings) while he hiked New Hampshire. I chose this campground because of its convenient location. I made online reservations, but when I arrived, the "Jeffs" behind the counter recommended that I take a look at some other available sites since the one I chose was rather small. I thought this was a really nice thing of the staff to offer, and I took them up on it by finding a much better site. The camp store had pretty much anything you may forget. Be warned, though...they sell firewood for $6/bundle. You can find the same size bundles outside of the park for half that price (and I found a place along Route 112 that only charged $1.50)

Although the sites are relatively close with little brush between them, by strategically locating our tent and screen house, we had all the privacy we wanted. The bath house was nearby and included bathrooms and showers. We had plenty of hot water for showers (although we had to pay $1 for 5 minutes). The bathrooms had cold water only, but included an air dryers (not all NH state campgrounds have this feature).

There's plenty to do along Route 93: The Basin, Old Man of the Mountain, the Flume Gorge, and the Tramway to name a few.

The only real negative was that we couldn't get a cell phone signal in camp. Normally this wouldn't bother us, but we needed to be able to communicate when and where I needed to pick up my husband each afternoon when he was done hiking for the day. It was somewhat inconvenient to have to drive around to get a signal that would allow a text message through.

Most people cook on site, but if you're like us (for this trip) and like to eat dinner in a restaurant, there are plenty to choose from in nearby Woodstock and Lincoln.

In general, we were very happy with this campground. It suited our purposes nicely. We also stayed at Moose Brook State Park. I hope to review that campground as well, but there's currently no listing for it (I'll be contacting TripAdvisor about it). It's not nearly as nice as Lafayette!

Room Tip: The sites reserved for first-come first-serve (around #93-98) are awesome. We ended up staying in on...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank blare246

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Lafayette campground is very well located on I-93. You can acess many trails from the campground or drive a short distance to go to lakes, grocery store or gaz station. It is probably the best place to stay if you want to hike mount Lafayette. It was my third time there and I really enjoyed it. Campground is clean and staff is welcoming and helpful (ask them if you want advices on hikes). It was also quiet at night so we could relax and enjoy our fire. Access to toilets and showers are just a short walk away. They have a campground store so don't mind if you forgot something at home. About the bear troubles, staff members warn you upon arrival to keep all foods and cooking items in the car. We followed that rule and it did not have any problems with bears.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GabBallet
Portland, Maine, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is a nice, well-run camp site, and the noise from the road didn't really bother us, but the BEARS did! Two bears have been around for a few weeks so far this summer - they broke a pole on a tent we set up to hold gear right next the tent we were sleeping in. We had one empty soda can next to the tent and absolutely no other food or trash anywhere on the campsite - it was all locked up in the truck. Maybe that's enough to make the bear experience our fault - but campers should be warned that bears are around so they can take extra precautions and maybe not bring small children to this site.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Wendy C

Travellers are raving about these Franconia hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2012

If you are looking for a private and quiet camping experience this is NOT the campground to stay at.

The campground has a very good location to serve as a base camp for all the great hikes in the area. The staff were helpful. Access to flush toilets and showers are only a short walk away.

The sites are squeezed in very close together and there is no buffer between you and your neighbours. If I spoke French I'd know all the business that the campers to my left and right were discussing. I took a site that was as far from the roadway as possible but I could still hear trucks driving at all hours of the day/night.

Room Tip: Avoid site 22. Level tent ground is too close to the fire pit. And it feels like you are sharing a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Grant C
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Lafayette Campground is in a fantastic location on Route 93 with easy access to all the activities / trails / lakes in the Franconia Notch area. The campsites are all very close together and since it's near Route 93, you hear road noise (mostly trucks) all night long. Bathrooms vary - there's one really old one and then two that are modern and new and definitely preferred. The showers are good with plenty of hot water ($1 for 5 minutes plus 25 cents for each additional 75 seconds as of July 2012).

We've used the Campground twice as a jump-off point for backpacking in the White Mountains. It's really conveniently located between the AMC huts Lonesome Lake and Greenleaf so you can hike to either directly from the campground.

If the sites were slightly further from each other and the road noise slightly lower, I would have rated this 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rick S
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I've stayed here several times, most recently June 2012. It's convenient to many trails, including some that leave from the campground itself. Sites are generally good sized for tents and flat, though close together. Several are along the river. The searchable site map (reservations through Reserveamerica.com) will tell you what the sites are best suited for and whether they are shaded, partially shaded, etc. There are pay showers available, a welcome relief after a hot day on the trail or a cool day when you want to warm up.

It's near the highway, so you will get some traffic noise. And because it's on the southbound side, if you are heading northbound, you'll need to circle back an exit (signs let you know).

Make reservations well in advance and be aware that for weekends, they expect you to stay 2 nights. There's also a service fee for the reservations.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Journeying_Jean
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Camped here two nights while hiking in Franconia Notch State Park. Sites are large and well manicured. This is a busy campground. The place was full the weekend we stayed and there were lots of kids around. If you're looking for a private campsite this is not it. That being said, the location is right at the trailhead for the Franconia Ridge loop so it was perfect for us. Most campers quieted down after 9pm or so. The campground is close to the highway so you do hear some traffic noise, but this also tends to quiet down late at night. It rained one of the nights we were there which actually helped drown out the background noise. Facilities are adequate. There was a bit of a line to check-in due to the fact there's just one person working the general store/check-in desk and he's quite chatty. All in all we had a great stay and got good sleep both nights we were there.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gatorfan2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#8 of 20 in Lincoln
Franconia Notch Motel
Franconia Notch Motel
#14 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Lafayette Campground? Share your experiences!