“Prefect Location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Franconia
Lafayette Campground
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Nice little gem. From the moment we walked into the country store we knew we picked the right campground. Very friendly folks working the front desk. Thanks for all your help.
I had mixed views from all the post talking about not sleeping due to the trucks at night, We had no problem sleeping. that wasn't an issue for us. We were happy to see clean restrooms and showers.
This will be our yearly NH camping spot. Waking up to the beautiful mountain range. it was just breath taking. Looking forward to our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LAROXY

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a very nice campground and close to all the Fraconia Notch attractions. The park rangers were all so nice and helpful. The only issue we had with this campground was that Interstate 93 runs right past the campground. Our site was far back from the road and we still woke up all night as tractor trailers drove by. We are both very light sleepers so I'd say if you usually have no problem sleeping through the night definitely go to this campground.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My husband is through-hiking the Appalachian Trail and I decided to join him (in the evenings) while he hiked New Hampshire. I chose this campground because of its convenient location. I made online reservations, but when I arrived, the "Jeffs" behind the counter recommended that I take a look at some other available sites since the one I chose was rather small. I thought this was a really nice thing of the staff to offer, and I took them up on it by finding a much better site. The camp store had pretty much anything you may forget. Be warned, though...they sell firewood for $6/bundle. You can find the same size bundles outside of the park for half that price (and I found a place along Route 112 that only charged $1.50)

Although the sites are relatively close with little brush between them, by strategically locating our tent and screen house, we had all the privacy we wanted. The bath house was nearby and included bathrooms and showers. We had plenty of hot water for showers (although we had to pay $1 for 5 minutes). The bathrooms had cold water only, but included an air dryers (not all NH state campgrounds have this feature).

There's plenty to do along Route 93: The Basin, Old Man of the Mountain, the Flume Gorge, and the Tramway to name a few.

The only real negative was that we couldn't get a cell phone signal in camp. Normally this wouldn't bother us, but we needed to be able to communicate when and where I needed to pick up my husband each afternoon when he was done hiking for the day. It was somewhat inconvenient to have to drive around to get a signal that would allow a text message through.

Most people cook on site, but if you're like us (for this trip) and like to eat dinner in a restaurant, there are plenty to choose from in nearby Woodstock and Lincoln.

In general, we were very happy with this campground. It suited our purposes nicely. We also stayed at Moose Brook State Park. I hope to review that campground as well, but there's currently no listing for it (I'll be contacting TripAdvisor about it). It's not nearly as nice as Lafayette!

Room Tip: The sites reserved for first-come first-serve (around #93-98) are awesome. We ended up staying in on...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank blare246
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Lafayette campground is very well located on I-93. You can acess many trails from the campground or drive a short distance to go to lakes, grocery store or gaz station. It is probably the best place to stay if you want to hike mount Lafayette. It was my third time there and I really enjoyed it. Campground is clean and staff is welcoming and helpful (ask them if you want advices on hikes). It was also quiet at night so we could relax and enjoy our fire. Access to toilets and showers are just a short walk away. They have a campground store so don't mind if you forgot something at home. About the bear troubles, staff members warn you upon arrival to keep all foods and cooking items in the car. We followed that rule and it did not have any problems with bears.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GabBallet
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is a nice, well-run camp site, and the noise from the road didn't really bother us, but the BEARS did! Two bears have been around for a few weeks so far this summer - they broke a pole on a tent we set up to hold gear right next the tent we were sleeping in. We had one empty soda can next to the tent and absolutely no other food or trash anywhere on the campsite - it was all locked up in the truck. Maybe that's enough to make the bear experience our fault - but campers should be warned that bears are around so they can take extra precautions and maybe not bring small children to this site.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed 9 July 2012

If you are looking for a private and quiet camping experience this is NOT the campground to stay at.

The campground has a very good location to serve as a base camp for all the great hikes in the area. The staff were helpful. Access to flush toilets and showers are only a short walk away.

The sites are squeezed in very close together and there is no buffer between you and your neighbours. If I spoke French I'd know all the business that the campers to my left and right were discussing. I took a site that was as far from the roadway as possible but I could still hear trucks driving at all hours of the day/night.

Room Tip: Avoid site 22. Level tent ground is too close to the fire pit. And it feels like you are sharing a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Grant C
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Lafayette Campground is in a fantastic location on Route 93 with easy access to all the activities / trails / lakes in the Franconia Notch area. The campsites are all very close together and since it's near Route 93, you hear road noise (mostly trucks) all night long. Bathrooms vary - there's one really old one and then two that are modern and new and definitely preferred. The showers are good with plenty of hot water ($1 for 5 minutes plus 25 cents for each additional 75 seconds as of July 2012).

We've used the Campground twice as a jump-off point for backpacking in the White Mountains. It's really conveniently located between the AMC huts Lonesome Lake and Greenleaf so you can hike to either directly from the campground.

If the sites were slightly further from each other and the road noise slightly lower, I would have rated this 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends