“Great place to eat in Franconia Notch area”
Review of Above the Notch - CLOSED

Above the Notch
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Massachusetts
“Great place to eat in Franconia Notch area”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

It's been a few years since I last visited this restaurant, but it was as good as I remembered. We ate outside on the patio. Service was good (a little slow), food was delicious, portions very generous, prices reasonable, the atmosphere was casual and the location ideal. We enjoyed visits from the owner's adorable little dog (Stoli).

Restaurant seems to draw a lot of locals, a good endorsement. We'll definitely return next time we're in the area.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank PaddlingFan

Massachusetts
“Meh...”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

If you're looking for a low-brow apres-ski pub, this might be your place. Above the Notch has a huge bar and a small dining room, and the waitstaff are focused on the bar; that must be where the money is.

We stopped here for an early dinner on a Friday night. The place was nearly empty, but still we waited for 5-10 minutes for someone to seat us, despite the fact that several servers passes us by several times and none of them were on their way to wait on other diners/drinkers. When we finally were seated, we lucked out and got the only server who was actually paying attention to her tables. I wish I could remember her name--she was great. Anyway, she served us burger and fries, and they were just fine. Nothing special.

The real "stars" of the show that night were the two men waiting on the party of 6 nearby. This group looked to be ordering everything--bar drinks, appetizers, meals and desserts, and the servers couldn't keep any of it straight. The group would order another round of beers, and the beers came out one at a time, 5-10 minutes apart, as if the servers couldn't remember how many were ordered. It was like that for every part of their meal.

Again, I think this might be a decent bar, or even a place for dinner if you have plenty of time. If you're looking for quick, go elsewhere.

Usa
“Depends on what you're looking for”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We knew the restaurant was predominantly a bar/pub, and so we didn't have high hopes, but we're in Franconia for a night and just wanted an easy quick meal. We had burgers and they were fine, average, nothing to write home about. Service was slow, but adequate. It wasn't that busy at least when we arrived. I think if you are willing to eat/drink at the bar, your experience of this restaurant is going to be much better. We stood by the "restaurant door" and watched as several waitstaff passed us by. Then someone guided us into the small section designated as the restaurant. And really it feels like the restaurant is an after thought and attachment to the bar. I felt that if we were there on a Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics or Patriots night it would be a blast! Especially at the bar. But for a "quick" burger meal--not so much.

Chicago, Illinois
“A good choice”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is not a knock-your-hiking boots off type of restaurant. But it is a good choice with friendly and efficient service with decent food. The dining area is small, but you can eat in the bar area. When we arrived, the waitress invited us to sit where we liked, so we selected one of the comfortable booths. No complaints with the service or food, it just doesn't say "I'm exceptional." Instead, it says "I'm a solid food choice." Of course, our food was basic: ribs and fish. We arrived hungry and left not hungry. I would eat here again because the food is reasonably priced and not bad. We also saw some yummy looking pizzas walk by, so next time we'd try one of those.

“Not the best”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

After reading the reviews I thought this would be the best place for a burger after a long day of hiking. Unfortunately there was a lot to be desired. The waitress completely forgot about me even though I was 1 of 3 parties and I spent my meal in the dark due to the fact that all of the lights were off. Good food but not a very good restaurant