“Someone finally figured out how to run a small hotel!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Franconia
Gale River Motel and Cottages
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Franconia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 June 2012

This is a great place, not because it is so luxurious, but because it is so well thought out. The little things that make travel less hassling have been done. The tub has non-stick surface, there is a designated towel for cleaning your car windshield, there are menu for recommended restaurants with 10% off, there are hints and tips to make your stay easier. I could go on and on with the list of helpful ways the owner Kevin has made this hotel way different than the average. Oh, and he is environmentally conscious with solar hot water assist, recycling, etc. It was a pleasure to stay here and economical, too.

Room Tip: This is located on a quiet road, so I'd guess all rooms are equally good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank poocherTampa

Reviewed 10 June 2012

Second stay at the Gale River. Better than the first. Room clean with just the right amount of amenities, single serve coffee maker in room, soda, new shampoo and soap dispenser attached to shower, which was great because I forgot mine. That Kevin thinks of just about everthing. You ask him and he probably has it.. Kevin the innkeeper goes out of his way on a daily basis. Whether its baking homemade muffins and cookies to have available or going that extra step of printing out a map of a restaurant he recommends along with supplying you with a discount coupon if available. If you don't feel like leaving the area the pool and hot tub are perfect. You can sun and enjoy the mountain views. The views are spectacular from your room. I would highly recommend the Gale River Motel to anyone visiting the Franconia area.

Room Tip: There are cabins available for larger parties
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I live in Keene and like vacationing in Franconia for weekend trips. I've stayed in a few places... until I stayed here. Now this is always my choice. The owner is really helpful and accommodating. He's given us great advice about where to go hiking, where to eat, etc. It's obvious he's passionate about making sure people enjoy their experience. Also, he bakes cookies!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We picked up this location because of all the positive reviews. And we are a little bit surprised because we had a pretty mixed experience.
We chose to stay in a cottage and this may have not been a good choice. We thought that it was quiet but the motel is close to a highway and we could hear it.
When we arrived to the motel, the road pavement looked poor.
We found a blanket on a sofa full of dog hairs and some of the garden chairs where rusted.
The owner changed them quickly, though.
Likely, the motel rooms looked in a better shape.
The swimming pool was nice.
We were there during during Irene storm and the owner behaved somewhat aggressively when we tried to use the fixed phone of his office to get some news from our air company, because we could not use our mobile phone in this area and the WI FI worked poorly. There was some lack of understanding. We finally could use some phone in a room after some negotiations. We would not recommend this location to foreigners.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank aureilhan
GaleRiverMotel, Owner at Gale River Motel and Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

In hospitality, there are some guests you will never forget! Despite writing this review nine months after their visit, the memories of this family of four from Paris are still clearly etched in my memory.

The paved driveway is a bit bumpy, but still very navigable. The natural "speed bumps" formed from years of frost and settling insure that traffic in and out of the proprerty proceeds at a cautious pace given that small children are often running from the rooms to the lawns, pool, and playground. Re-paving it to a roller-rink smoothness would only encourage guests to drive faster than is needed in and out of the property. The sofa "full of dog hairs" had a few stray hairs on the side where someone's dog had rubbed against the furniture, and the "rusted garden chairs" had a small amount of surface rust beginning to show through the paint.

The real test of hospitality began when, because of the approaching tropical storm (Irene) which had been forecast to arrive for the better part of the week, Mr. & Mrs. B. decided to depart a day early in order to fly home before the storm's arrival. Twenty-four hours before the storm was to arrive the couple were frantically trying to make flight arrangements. Due to the limited service of their cell phones they had spent much of the morning in nearby Littleton coordinating a departure. When they walked into my office they reported having spent hours making arrangements and just needed to contact the airline for final confirmation. I offered them complimentary use of the office phone stating that they could use the phone for only a brief time because it was the business phone. After fifteen minutes on the phone, I asked Mrs. B to please end the call...she smiled, held up her finger and continued to talk. After another fifteen minutes had passed, I again asked Mrs. B to end the call and she ignored me and continued with her conversation. At the end of forty-five minutes, I explained that I was going to disconnect the call should she not end the call....after another five minutes she finally handed the phone back to me and reported that the reservations were still incomplete.

One might describe my efforts at regaining control of my business phone as "somewhat aggressive" when, after asking a guest to keep the call "short", being ignored by a guest to whom a courtesy had been extended, and then adopting an attitude of ingratitude for the efforts to assist them in their time of need. At the conclusion of this incident, I still opened up one of my motel rooms and allowed Mr. & Mrs. B to use a room phone (their cottage rental did not have phone access) to call their airline again and after over an hour on the phone, they reported success in booking a reservation.

Obviously my hospitality at not charging them the cost of the long distance call, tying up my business phone for 45-minutes, making a phone available to them, and then refunding them the full nightly rate on their shortened reservation went un-menitoned in their review.

The vast majority of guests that have visited the Gale River Motel have appreciated the extra effort and service that is extended to them during their stay....on occasions we do encounter guests such as this couple who are the exception.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I am writing this review from summer 2011.... just found the time looking up my next vaca.... Kevin, the owner, is a great host who is always looking out for his guests. The hotel was clean , located well, and priced right. I went with my young kids and they had a blast checking out Kev's rabbit....what can I say we had a great time.

Room Tip: The cabin is roomy , good for kids ect
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here a couple months ago and we decided that we have never been treated more respectfully than we did here. The staff is incredibly accommodating, the location is great, and dollar for dollar you cannot find another place that even comes close. 10 out of 10.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russ H
Reviewed 5 March 2012

If you are looking for a clean and comfortable spot in the Franconia area, this is it. It is an older "motor lodge" style place....a little like going back in time, but most of the area lodging is like that! The host Kevin was very accomodating (and he makes great chocolate chip cookies)! The hotel and cottages would probably be better enjoyed during warm weather so that you could use the barbecue grill, pool, etc....but we were up skiing at Cannon and it was more than sufficient! We just wish Franconia-proper had a better selection of dining choices at night but the drive to Littleton isn't bad at all!

Room Tip: If you need extra room, the executive cottage is great for a family of 4! And you can make your own...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
Stonybrook Motel & Lodge
Stonybrook Motel & Lodge
#4 of 5 in Franconia
Profile Motel & Cottages

Been to Gale River Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!