“Great motel, views and owner.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Franconia
Gale River Motel and Cottages
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Franconia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My wife, my son and I stayed here in mid July. We had originally only booked 2 nights to check the motel out, after the first night we were so happy with the place that we decided to book a 3rd night. The rooms are super clean and the beds are very comfortable. We had a great time, Kevin the owner is one of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever met in the motel business. He is always there, more than willing to help all of his guests with anything they need. The rooms all have 2 adirondack chairs in front under a roof with a spectacular view of Lafayette and Cannon mtns. We sat in our chairs every night enjoying the views and the peace and quiet. Franconia is a very small, quiet town. We will be staying here many more times in the future. I highly recommend this motel!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank RIMike

Reviewed 13 July 2009

I stayed here during my hike of the Appalachian Trail in New Hampshire. What a super place to take a “zero” day! Everything you could ask for; clean, comfortable, quiet. Hot shower felt great, and I had a chance to clean and dry my gear. Kevin could not have been more helpful. He picked me up at the trailhead when I arrived, and he dropped me off at the trailhead when I departed. Cell phone service works here, so it is was easy to make arrangements. I had use of his bicycle, so it was convenient to go into town for some re-supply and meals. I also mailed a re-supply package here, and it was waiting for me when I arrived. Kevin even made sure the maid did not disturb me, as I slept a good part of the day. There is a computer available in the lobby for checking your email and whatever. The rooms have refrigerators for keeping drinks and food cold. I definitely recommend this place for AT hikers.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank AT_hiker_Maine
Reviewed 10 July 2009

What a great place to relax. The views are spectacular and the host, Kevin is very friendly and accomodating. I found chocolate chip cookies upon arrival, soft drinks in the room and forgotten amenities in a basket on the dresser. Kevin has thought of everything! His pool is clean and inviting and he has a fire pit for those chilly nights. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank TwinMountain
Reviewed 29 June 2009

We stayed here while hiking in the area. The service was great and the hot tub with amazing mountain views was lovely after a day on the trail. Kevin is very friendly and knows the area well, sharing restaurant and trail recommendations. Rooms are basic, but the little things (cookies, bbq, free wifi, fridge in room) make a huge difference and add value to your stay. Hope to return soon!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GardenStateTravelers
Reviewed 20 June 2009

You know as soon as you walk in that this is a different kind of motel. You are greeted by the owner, Kevin, who is genuinely happy to see you and his very friendly dog, Buddy, who is also happy to see you. :)

He offers his homemade chocolate chip cookies along with hot cocoa and tea. He offers advice of things to do in the area, restaurants that are worth the wait, sites to see, hiking trails, as well as great things to do with children. He also provides maps and a ton of pamphlets of area attractions.

On our first night, we were the only people staying and Kevin asked if we would like to use the pool and/or hot tub. He would have opened it up just for us. Later that night, he started a campfire. We toasted marshmallows and made s'mores. He went well out of his way to make our stay enjoyable, more than we've ever experienced with any other hotel/motel.

The rooms were clean and the view was beautiful. The amenities were very comfortable - two full-size beds, air conditioning (although we didn't need it), cable TV, coffee in the room, a heated pool, hot tub, there's even a basket full of things you may need or have forgotten at home, including aspirin and gum. There is a room to get ice with a soda vending machine and a microwave. He even provides family games to take back to your room and play.

We got back a week ago and our four-year-old daughter is still talking about staying at the motel with Kevin and his sweet dog Buddy. She had such a great time she even gave him a hug like he was family.

We will definitely stay here again EVERY time we go to Franconia! I can't recommend it highly enough - especially for the customer service!

Thank you so much Kevin! Can't wait to see you next time!!

Jeff & Lisa Sinon

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank jandlsinon
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Only stayed here one night and upon arrival found our room to be immaculate and comfortable. The views of the White Mountains from our room were incredible! The owner was very pleasant and welcoming and made our stay very enjoyable. Many amenities including hot tub, pool and large recreation area. Great place to stay if you have children! We hope to plan a trip back up to the White Mountain area and we will definitely be staying at the Gale River motel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geoffCT
Reviewed 31 May 2009

If you're looking for an absolutely beautiful place to wake up every morning while visiting the Franconia, NH area, this is your spot. Let me preface this review by saying we almost always stay in four star hotels and this was our first motel experience so we really didn't know what to expect. When we arrived rather late in the evening, we could smell chocolate chip cookies baking as we entered. Kevin, the great guy who is the heart and soul of this fabulous little place, offered us cookies immediately and gave us our keys. He also recommended where we could still get a great dinner nearby and gave us a menu and a coupon for a discount. As we were walking to our room we saw a few guests walking their dogs (there was a dog show nearby that weekend). In any event, although we saw a lot of dogs during our visit, we literally never heard one dog barking or were disturbed by that at all. It was actually a treat for the kids to see some of the beautiful dogs that were guests as well. We also noticed a bonfire out past the beautiful clean pool area and could vaguely hear a few guest around it. When we entered our room we were very happy with how immaculate everything was and the cute little amenities. Now this isn't the Plaza people. You're not going to find luxury toiletries on a silver tray in your room. But the beds were super comfortable, the room has a little fridge stocked with soda (which you are only charged 50 cents for as opposed to 3 bucks like at a fancy hotel) and a coffee maker with plenty of extra coffee. Everything is super clean and in our room was a free gift basket filled with a bunch of samples and freebies of everything you could ever need or may have left at home. The part about this place is that it really has more of a bed and breakfast feel to it than that of a hotel/motel. If there's anything you need at any given time, Kevin is super attentive without being intrusive. Some examples of this are that at one point my husband mentioned to him that we would prefer diet soda in the fridge in our room. After that we always came back to a fridge stocked with all diet sodas. Also, the beautiful property has a charcoal grill that you can use if you decide you want to do that. We used the grill three nights that we were there and every time Kevin made sure we were all set with charcoal and everything else we needed. There's so much more I could say about this place but you really have to go check it out for yourself to appreciate it. We are already trying to figure out when we can go back. Another thing I have to mention is that this hotel is eco-friendly. They go to great lengths that you will notice in every aspect of the place. I thought that very appropriate given that we were in the most beautiful surroundings and it was a nice thing to share with my children. The Gale River Motel is just an all around great place. Great value. Great host. Absolutely amazing views right out your door. Super clean and cozy. Oh, and one more thing. Our third night there our three year old daughter threw up sometime after midnight (as toddlers often do when you're trying to relax on vacation) LOL ... anyway, we had no choice but to call Kevin who was very sweet about it. Not only did he clean up all the linens and stuff, but he also washed our daughter's soiled clothes that we had left in the bathroom and returned them to us clean the next day. There was no charge, not even a mention of him doing that. Good luck finding even the fanciest hotel that will do something like that for a guest without adding some ridiculous charge to the bill. Kevin is a class act. It's no suprise that the weekend we stayed, while the motel was completely full, all but four of the rooms were taken by guests who had been there before.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank nickandsonia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#2 of 5 in Franconia
Indian Head Resort
Indian Head Resort
#8 of 20 in Lincoln

Been to Gale River Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!