“gfffyju”

Best Western White Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Franconia
“gfffyju”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Very nice place. Not very fancy but roomds were well appointed and staff trird to accommodate needs. Pool and hot tub were in good working order due to hotel managers efforts to keep everything in excellent condition. Very nice overall experience.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Beware of this place although the front desk person was extrmely nice the room was FILTHY the bathroom stunk like a dirty locker room the paint had markings all over the place from leaking overall needs a total revamo of the whole motel seems like owner is just taking all out and outting nothing back in. It is located right off the interstate but Not Worth it... Frankly I cant believe that Best Western Corporate has not pulled the name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Beware Needs alot of work and Cleaning
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Franconia hotels

Shutesbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I had planned on staying there for a week. We barely lasted one night. Never again. Feel like this place was just horrible.

The hotel has no elevator and the pool is downstairs on the basement level. I'm not sure how this is legal. It certainly isn't ADA compliant. We never got to use it anyway as it was closed when we arrived (we arrived late admittedly). At breakfast it was covered, and the hot tub was covered also. I asked about this and was told they cover it at night to save energy. Our room was on the second floor and with no elevator it was difficult to do with our luggage. There are luggage carts but with no elevator they are useless. I was told there were no rooms available on the main floor.
I had asked for a mountain view. We were facing the interstate. I questioned this and was told it was a nice view, better than the parking lot view on the other side. The photos on their website led me to think this was a secluded place, away from the highway. So wrong! I listened to trucks flying down the interstate at 70 mph all night long. I complained to the overnight desk clerk (who was actually in Room 114 he said). He told me my window must be open because he couldn't hear it at all. Um, no. I checked my window and it was closed. I still heard those trucks. He said maybe if I hadn't arrived so late then maybe I wouldn't be so cranky. (REALLY??) This was after I had arrived with my family at 11pm to find that the night auditor had CANCELED our whole reservation just before we arrived because my credit card that I was holding the room with had recently expired. Had they tried to reach me about this problem? Yes, they called my house 30 minutes before I arrived. (I live over 3 hours away. 30 minutes before they called I was somewhere in VT probably). So after having our room canceled, and then getting it, then lugging all our luggage up the 2nd floor, and then listening to the trucks, and then noticing that there was obviously not a decent ac/heating unit in service and more... I was quite upset. I went down to the lobby phone and talked to the desk clerk by phone (since he preferred to stay in his room and not come out to the desk). We canceled the rest of our stay and promised to vacate in the morning.
In the morning the breakfast was horrible. My husband said the eggs were salty, soggy, and gross. I took his word for it. Managed to get our daughter a waffle (which has become standard continental fair in most places now). I managed a bagel and some coffee. I reloaded our car and got us out of there as fast as I could.
The morning clerk, Ange was her name, was courteous when I checked out at least. She was aware of the fact that we were leaving and only charged us for the one night. They have a 72 hour cancellation policy which I think is nuts, but whatever... I asked her who the usual guests were and she said they get a lot of government rates and truckers. I did see that. In the summer they get some summer tourists and families, but lots of highway crew guys, Homeland Security, truckers, and whatnot. I imagine a single guy travels a lot lighter than a family on vacation does. They probably don't use the pool much either.

Never again for us. I am usually loyal to Choice Hotels but when were on another trip some of our friends were staying at a Best Western and they said good things about it. So I thought I would give the chain a chance on this trip since the rates were lower than the Choice hotels I was looking at. (Granted the location wasn't as convenient so I was trading location for price.).

While I was awake and unable to sleep that night I made a few phone calls and spent some time on the internet and after not having any luck with a place in Lincoln, I got us into a place in Lancaster. Not perfect location, but neither was Franconia.

So beyond me being overtired on arrival, let's review- 1)They canceled my reservation 30 minutes before I arrived even though they knew I was arriving around 11pm. (2)Mountainview = view of Interstate highway, including the on-ramp. So view and noise were definite issues. (3)Rude clerks in evening & overnight. (4)Breakfast was gross. (5)See photos. (6)Can't comment on pool because we didn't use it. (7)No elevator.

I think that's enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a parking lot view. Honestly it has to be quieter than the "mountain-view.". Also...
1 Thank RebeccaMA
Bolton-Est, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The room was a big disappointment. The ceiling had had a leak and the ceiling had not been repaired. The window in the room would not close so you could hear the traffic from the highway. The airconditioner was not working properly so the room was hot. Our room had an ajoining room with a door between and the people that were in that room were very noisy and you could hear everything like the door was open. We did make a complaint about the noise because it was 10:30 and the staff did handle it.There was lots of noise in the hallways as they were little children running up and down the halls all evening. It was not a restful experience

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located directly off interstate 93. Upon arrival we were given a room with a great view but preferred a room facing the parking lot so we could keep an eye on our Harley. The staff was very accommodating in moving us. This hotel is in the process of updating. The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable. They had just put in new carpeting in the hallways and the smell was very strong but didn't affect the room. The breakfast was ok but for the size of the hotel the eating area needs to be larger.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This place was terrible. The staff was sarcastic and rude. Our room smelled like old feet. The pool was gross and had a green tint to it. At 1230am we got a call from the front desk about noise on the floor!!! Mind you we were all asleep and they woke my 3 month old , 5 and 6 yr old up!!!!!! All the manager had to say when I brought my complaints to him was well you guys did get a discounted rate from orbitz? Wow please don't waste your time or money here

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank namias
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The hotel is adequate. On the one hand, the staff are friendly and professional. On the other hand, the decor is tired, and the breakfast provides a powerful disincentive to return -- tables are jammed together, food is mediocre, just an overall unpleasant mealtime experience.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Hampton Inn Littleton
#4 of 5 in Franconia
Franconia Inn
Franconia Inn
#2 of 5 in Franconia

Been to Best Western White Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!