We stayed here at the beginning of October and the weather wasn't too kind to us, but the area was stunning with the autumn colours.
The Lodge was fairly easy to find although apparently our GPS brought us the scenic route!
We received a warm welcome from the owner and check in was swift. He then gave us a list of local places to eat and a description of each place.
We were accommodated in the building furthest away from the river on the upper floor. The room was fine although it did look a little tired. Everything worked, Bed was quite comfortable and the electric heater came in useful and was very efficient and soon drove away the chill.
Bathroom whilst old was fine with a good hot shower over the tub.
We ate in one of the local restaurants that was recommended by the owner and received a discount by saying we were guests at the lodge.
Next morning we made it down for breakfast which was included and were greeted by the lady owner. Breakfast was fine plenty of choice and taken in a lovely room overlooking the river. We chatted with the owner for a very long time and found out the place was slowly being renovated as and when time and funds were available.
We made use of their free wifi to find out what we could do on a wet day in the area, but after a chat with the owners we decide a scenic drive round the mountains was probably the best option.
All in all a very nice place to stay for a couple of nights. Very reasonably priced with nice breakfast, free wifi and lovely location. Rooms slowly being improved. Would stay again if we were to return to the White Mountains
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A traditional New England family-owned and operated motel featuring clean, comfortable, affordable and friendly lodging in the White Mountain region of New Hampshire. Located on the banks of the tranquil Gale River, Hillwinds is located near all major seasonal attractions and is only three miles from Cannon Mountain and the Franconia Notch State Park, home of the Flume Gorge and great hilking opportunities. Rates include complimentary continental breakfast, in-room coffee and fridge, free wi-fi, and guest computer and lending library. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Hillwinds Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hillwinds Hotel Franconia
- Hillwinds Lodge Franconia, NH - White Mountains