“So sad to leave!”
Review of Franconia Inn

Franconia Inn
Ranked #2 of 5 Franconia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the Franconia Inn and were so pleased! We has a spacious room with a King bed, close to the screened in back porch. Our room looked over the back of the inn and we could see the horses grazing if we were in the room in the afternoon. The Inn itself does show its age at times, but if we wanted to stay in a fancy upscale hotel, we would have. The Inn is everything it should be, the room's A/C was just fine and there was an extra fan in the closet that we used as well on the nights it was cool enough to turn the A/C off. The breakfast every morning was EXCELLENT (pancakes, french toast and eggs benedict to be specific!). So filling, we routinely just had a small mid afternoon snack and then came back for dinner at the Inn as well! Dinner goes late so we typically reserved dinner at 7:30/8pm. We had dinner at the Inn 4 times, and each meal was very good, at times could be salty - but that's just part of not eating your own home-cooked food. All the staff were also very nice and helpful. In the room we found a nice big book of things to do, how to get there, what to expect, ect.. very helpful and helped us plan a rainy day. The bed was actually one of the most comfortable B&B beds I've slept on, and the bathroom was very clean. If I had to think of ONE thing I would change, I'd say they need to get some new lighting for the bathroom - the lights made the room SO HOT we hardly ever turned them on! The Inn is located about 10 minutes from some great attractions - the flume gorge, the basin, old man historic site, and Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway. Another 10 minutes south and you're in Lincoln where there is the visitor's center, Loon Mountain, Pemi Valley Moose Tours, and some yummy ice cream, not to mention you can get right on the Kancamagus Highway right from there! Next door is also a riding stable, and across the street is a small glider plane airport - never a bother with the noise, no worries there. The pool was also nice to relax in at night after an active day. I would love to come here again, but NH is so gorgeous we'll probably go explore another town next time!

Room Tip: The "spacious room" was fine for us, but not "spacious" in comparison to other p...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicole0603

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

We only stayed 1 night here while we were passing through in order to visit Frost's place (which was right down the road). There was a comprehensive binder in the room that was loaded with neat information about the area and recommending things to do. The place was clean and the location was good. The restaurant was also pretty good. They have a neat lounge area in the basement near the pool to get a few drinks at. The pool was nice and heated. I would love to go back and stay a few days to check out the surrounding area.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The Franconia Inn exceeded our expectations as a base for a family gathering. We (the parents) shared a family suite (2 rooms with a connecting bathroom) with grandparents and our 9 year old daughter. The rooms were small and the bed was not super comfortable but that was greatly overshadowed by the expansiveness of the inn.

We began our long weekend having dinner outside with siblings and their children. The tavern menu had a pretty good range of pastas, sandwiches, burgers, etc. and the youngest children were free to run around the big backyard while waiting. There is a warm outdoor pool and hot tub too. My daughter and I were much more impressed by the absolutely glorious river swimming we found down a short path -- the inn offers access to a small sandy beach that we loved.

The inn's overall space is really welcoming -- a "movie room", game room, two living rooms, a screen porch and front porch meant that we could easily be comfortable outside of our bedroom. They offered coffee at 6:30am but it was usually ready even earlier, and reading on the front porch while the sun rose over the mountains was a fantastic way to start the day! We also really enjoyed the ease of the bountiful breakfast.

Franconia itself is a bit of paradise if you like the outdoors -- hiking and swimming holes took most of our time. Aside from a Garnet Hill outlet, it is not really a spot for shopping or nightlife. We would certainly go back.

Room Tip: We chose the family suite for the excellent value but my daughter explored the inn and says the sing...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I came up for a spur of the moment hiking trip. I made the reservation through Booking.com and got a slightly cheaper rate in a "Cozy room" on the Daily plan (no meals included.) My room was indeed cozy, with a nice view of the back stairs. I didn't care. I wasn't planning on spending a lot of time in my room.

The owner was very nice and took some time to chat with me about my hiking plans, and offered some information about the trails I was planning.

I realized I hadn't left enough time for a sit down breakfast, and they were very nice about wrapping everything in a sandwich for me to take with me.

Sitting on the porch with a beer from the lounge and looking at the mountains was a great way to end the day.

They have free wifi, too. I have stayed here before and will continue to do so.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My husband decided to take me away for the week end, he also wanted a horse drawn sleigh ride! Well it coundn't have been more beautiful, the snow started falling when we started our ride, it was wonderful I wish it could have been longer, The Inn is very quaint exactly what you would want to find in NH. They had a wedding in the afternoon, everyone was enjoying themselves there was an air of happiness, We spent most of the night in the bar, food was great the chef was very accomadating, definetly would visit again. People were snow shoeing. Cross country sking, sleding and ice skating.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Spent late June here for a couple days 2012. Did a Groupon which included horseback riding, dinner and breakfast. Fantastic deal ! The property was very quiet and relaxing other than the occasional plane from the business across the street. A nice trail to walk and river to get wet in if you so desire. Dinner and breakfast were yummy so no complaints there. Pool and bar were also very nice. We enjoyed the fact the room did not have a tv just to get away from it all.Never fear Wi Fi is available on the property. All in all had a wonderfull time and would recommend it to all.

Room Tip: May want to try to get a room towards the back so you dont hear the airplanes across the street as m...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan C
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed in Franconia Inn over 2013 MLK weekend. While our plan was to ski nearby Cannon Mountain, we chose this hotel for the restaurant and the family friendly amenities that they have on premises (ice skating, tube sledding, etc, cross country, etc...). We got a decent room that fit all four of us (2 adults, 2 young kids) but the quality of accommodations does not explain nearly $200 per night room charge.

The main issue was complete lack of sound isolation. To illustrate the point: When my son sneezed in the room, our next door neighbor, FROM HIS ROOM, was able to say "Bless You" faster than we did.

The second issue we had with the hotel was at check in. We were supposed to arrive between 1 and 2 am because we were driving from far away. We thought we pre-agreed with reception that we would be able to come in without a problem. We arrived to find locked doors and no ability to enter. It took a phone call to their night service and subsequent visit from the owner (nearly 45 min later) to let us in. The owner was super nice and apologetic, but nevertheless this was a problem.

On the bright side the restaurant is great both for breakfast and dinner and the tubes and ice skating rink are a lot of fun. The staff was nice and helpful, but unfortunately i do not think we will be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#3 of 5 in Franconia
Inn at Sunset Hill
Inn at Sunset Hill
#1 of 4 in Sugar Hill

Been to Franconia Inn? Share your experiences!