“Getaway”

Ranked #2 of 5 Franconia B&B and Inns
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Getaway”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

It was a wonderful old Fashioned Inn with Rocking chairs on porch etc. We had a great pkg with a full country breakfast and a 5 course dinner in the evening. Peaceful surroundings and beautiful country. We had a cozy room with this package. It was quite small. Infortunatley the AC was directed right on the bed, which was uncomfortable. I wish I Picked another room.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms prior to staying in one.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We rented two bedrooms over the weekend of June 13-15 2014 with some friends at the Franconia Inn and had a wonderful experience. We had a great package which included breakfast for the first morning and breakfast and a 4 course dinner for the following night. The Inn is well kept and very peaceful. The service at the restaurant and the food was simply delicious.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Francois_T_Montreal
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Franconia Inn on a fall color trip out east, and it was just what we had in mind. I had been to the Franconia with friends over 20 years ago and remembered it as the perfect New England setting - mountains in the background, a cozy fire in the lobby, great food in the dining room, antiques and creaky floors. But I was much younger then, what did I know? My husband was sure it would be an exaggeration of my memory. Well, as it turned out my first impression was pretty accurate. The fire in the lobby is still cozy, the mountains are beautiful in the fall, the floor is still creaky and the food is still fabulous. This time I also was impressed by the staff. We had the same waitress for dinner one night and breakfast the next morning, and she was so friendly and charming we felt right at home. In fact later in the trip at a high-end resort, we agreed that for all the splendor of the setting, the staff and the food were not nearly as good as the Franconia's. Next time we'll skip the resort and spend another night there. Our only complaint would be that our mattress was on the lumpy side. It's an old Inn, so of course the rooms are small and the plumbing is old, but the mattresses should be from this century.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LLB56
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed here on a recent Sunday and Monday night on the MAP plan that included breakfast and dinner. It was quite busy with people checking out on Sunday morning but we were able to get cross-country ski passes and start skiing while they worked on our room. I had low expectations as I had read some not-so-flattering reviews. But our room was cozy as advertised which meant it was small but comfortable. The food was fresh and the menu creative. I am vegetarian so there was only one option for entrees but the chef kindly made me some wonderful artichoke ravioli the second night of our stay. My only compliant with the food was that breakfast did not begin until 8 am. I like to get out early to ski was that was rather late. The second morning we went to Wendle's Deli and had a great time with the locals. The staff was top notch and the inn was very clean. But this is not a place for everyone. There are no TVs in the rooms (I would have liked to watch the Olympics) and nothing to do at night during the week. The dining room is not really kid friendly. There were no young kids when we were here this time but I have been in the dining room with small children and it is not pleasant for other diners. There were about 6 couples staying during our stay and we were pretty spread out in the inn. If it had been crowded I would imagine it could get noisy with slamming doors and such. Oddly, my closet smelled of garlic from the kitchen, but quirky things like that do not bother me. I would stay here again during the week but not do the meal plan. I really liked going into town. I would probably eat dinner here one night though as the food is wonderful. Overall, I thought it was a good value. Oh yes, and the water pressure is nothing great but I took baths to solve that problem.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here this weekend and was disappointed that 2 of the most important things were not good. The bed was hard as a rock and there was no water pressure ... and I mean none. It was a trickle, at best.

For the price of $190 a night, I expect a plush mattress and good shower. Not worth the price. I've stayed in Boston for less and got far more.

The Pro's:
*location is great for skiing and the drive up is absolutely stunning;
*the staff are very attentive, very warm and welcoming;
*it was quiet and the fireplace areas are cozy;
*the food was very good;
*we had the "spacious" room which was plenty big;
*the pub is downstairs and has great ambiance; beautiful fireplace area;
*game and TV rooms were fun.

The Con's:
*the bed was rock hard;
*there was no water pressure at all ... the shower was a trickle;
*there is not a lot to do if you're skiing or snowmobiling;
*the breakfast that's included was poor - cold omelette and pancakes, old fruit on the buffet;
*our server at breakfast was not good - I think she was hungover;
*the chairs in our room were fit for a 5 year old; not comfortable for sitting and lounging in
your room.

I wouldn't go back for the price I paid. This is not a $200 a night inn. If it were $99-$125 then it's worth it.

Room Tip: Get a "spacious" room at a minimum otherwise you'll be in a closet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard M, Owner at Franconia Inn, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
I am very sorry that you had to deal with our very, very poor water pressure this winter. We could not figure out what was going on for several weeks. The problem was inconsistent, we thought that our snow making system on our sledding hill was using too much water and therefore causing the drop in water pressure, so we stopped making snow on weekends, but then the problem came back. The problem is now solved, we can make unlimited snow and you will still have 65 lbs of water pressure. Again I am very sorry that you had to deal with poor water pressure and we would like to compensate you, and we will compensate any of our guests who also experienced this in January. Just contact us.
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Two friends and I visited the Franconia Inn for breakfast. It was a quiet winter morning, but the dining room was bright and inviting, there was a fire started in the living room nearby. The inn keeper greeted us warmly and even served our breakfast since that morning was fairly slow. The breakfast food here cannot be beat!! The food and service are go above and beyond average B&B expectations. Waffles were piled with strawberries and cream, and I'd highly recommend the eggs benedict. The Franconia Inn is a great place for a cozy New Hampshire escape, and the dining room is worth a trip no matter where you stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
North Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

I have to laugh about this. We booked a package at the Franconia Inn, because we thought we had stayed there before and enjoyed it. When we arrived, I realized we had never stayed here. I had the Franconia Inn confused with the Loveitt's Inn which is also in Franconia. I was surprised by my mistake and regretted it at first, but in the end we had a nice stay at the Franconia Inn!

Our room was adequate. We enjoyed sitting in the living room on the first floor playing cards by the fire.

The restaurant is very nice. We had breakfast and dinner there every day. The menu is great and everything was perfectly prepared. We also liked the waitstaff.

I only wish there had been more snow when we were there so that we could have gone snowshoeing!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Franconia
Best Western White Mountain Inn
#1 of 4 in Sugar Hill
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods

Been to Franconia Inn? Share your experiences!