“Good value, nice fitness center and comfortable rooms”

Gunstock Inn & Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Gilford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was staying for one night only in the area and was just by myself. I did not want to spend a lot of money and basically just check out the places before coming back with my family sometimes soon. I looked at several hotels by the lake and did not like the tiny parking spots in conjunction with big price tags. The Gunstock Inn was verb reasonable compared to other hotels, offered a serious fitness center, Olympic size pool and some nice views. Check in was very friendly and I like the owners of the place. I booked the best room I get and enjoyed the balcony overlooking the lake in the distance (five miles away) and the mountains. The room was clean and spacious. I enjoyed dinner in their restaurant and liked the atmosphere. It took me ten minutes to drive to the lake and a couple of minutes to get to the mountain.

The reason why I could not give a five star review even though the price/service ratio was good, is based on the fact that I had almost no internet in the room - it worked in the restaurant, but no chance upstairs. I understand that there might be structural reasons blocking the signal, but installing another router in the dead zones should be on the to-do-list. I also had no mobile reception and could therefore not just use my phone for internet - I survived easily, but that would not have worked with the family...pleasant stay overall.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the balcony and make sure you have internet reception before unpacking
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Joerg S
There are newer reviews for Gunstock Inn & Resort

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed for a week-end in July. Yes I do agree that the rooms are showing age but..... they are really clean and comfortable. We had booked a loft room and enjoyed the space and the big windows.... The view from the balcony was amazing and we could see fireworks at night (4th of july week-end).

The service at this inn is UNBELIEVABLE... The staff does everything to make your stay perfect. Everytime we asked for something the answer was YES. Honnestly, I'd rather stay at an older Inn with amazing friendly service than at a more upscale hotel with regular service...

Unfortunately, I ran out of time and didn't get to enjoy the pool but it is huge and looks like a lot of fun....

The first night, we ate at the restaurant in the Inn. The pizza is absolutely delicious.... and the blue cheese salad dressing is a most... it is so fresh and tasty.... I highly recommend the restaurant... and prices are reasonable.

So basically this place was a very nice surprise... I plan on coming back and it was a great experience on all points. I recommend it...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gennie L l
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at the Inn with a group of friends and the reviews were really mixed. Our room was old but clean. We really had no problems and thought the people were very nice. Both of the other couples were really upset. The first room was super tiny and had no window, they asked to be moved and were. They ended up in a much bigger room with plenty of windows, no curtains and no place to hang clothes. There was a lamp and a refrigerator but only one outlet. The other couple couldn't stop complaining as their room, while large, was dirty and shabbily furnished. The sitting area was nice and there was a bar and restaurant (although we never saw anyone in the restaurant and we were the only people in the bar all weekend) that provided some late-night activity. The price was good, and I think the owners are trying to upgrade the place. If you don't expect too much and go with a good attitude you might vote on chic but it is kind of shabby.

Room Tip: Ask for a window, the view is excellent!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nina H
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed here during Laconia Bikeweek and I don't think you could find a better price, but it had some downsides. Check in was easy, beautiful location; but it was a little difficult to find the stairs to go to 2nd floor. Then it really smelled like a skunk in the hallway for most of our 4 night stay. Nice sitting area with many couches, chairs, games, TV, small deck with nice view; you can see a small speck of the the lake. It was a little disappointing that the bar closed early the first night, but the bartender was very friendly. Signs everywhere for Twisted Tea; but they had none for our entire stay. Food was decent for supper; but breakfast was not impressive and seemed to be setup late, we were always waiting for the coffee to be prepared. Room was clean and neat, AC worked well and room was supplied well and maid service was complete each day. Would have gotten higher rating but on Saturday night we returned at 11:30 pm, front door was locked and our 2 key cards did not open it. Lights were off, no one inside lobby. We had to figure out how to walk around building in the dark to find the back entrance to the bar to get in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sara P
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I don't think you can get better for the price in this area. The room was fine, but I had to put earplugs in to get to sleep (very squeaky floors above us). Breakfast was just yogurt, cereal & fruit-- not impressed. However, the pool & fitness area made up for everything. It opened later than I had hoped (Sunday morning), but was great for swimming laps!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharlynn J
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We spent two nights at the Inn, loved the pool, and a view to die for right from the room! It was quaint, and in need of updates for sure. The new owners are working on it which is good. It was the friendliest staff and owners. While tidying up the coffee table I picked up a newspaper and sone other trash. I also grabbed a few things I needed to put in a safe place. One being a bag of my sons meds (very expensive meds that had just been filled) well I tossed out the newspaper. And went out to eat, when we got back and went to give my son his meds and they were no where to be found, and was frantic! I asked the front desk and she checked with house keeping who went thru the dumpster and found nothing. I searched every inch of our room, and went back to the speak with Sarah at the front desk, I apologized for being so persistent, Sarah went to get gloves and keys to the dumpster. We opened one side of the dumpster and went thru several bags, I asked about the other side and we went to the other side. After several bags we found my trash and there in the newspaper was the bag of meds!!! What a relief! Thank You Sarah!!!

Room Tip: If you have small children or kiddos with special needs i don't suggest a loft room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent one night at the inn. We were very pleased with the size of the room and the cleanliness of the inn. The inn is old and it needs a facelift. That being said, it was quaint and reminded me a bit of the inn that was in the Newhart show. We had our 1 1/2 year old grandbaby with us and it was very quiet. The pool was fantastic. I wish the new owners the best of luck. If we have the chance, we would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilford
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
Belknap Point Inn
Belknap Point Inn
#3 of 6 in Gilford

Been to Gunstock Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!