“Updating Needed”

Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Gilford
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed for two days in the main building in a 1 Bedroom Suite, not the motel units. The staff was friendly and helpful, and it is a great location esp. if you are going to an event at Meadowbrook.
This room had a fully equipped kitchen with very old appliances and an ancient air conditioner. Surprisingly, everything worked okay.
The windows facing the parking lot had old vertical blinds, no drapes - you won't need a night light! Another surprise, the bedroom had a Murphy bed, very old and uncomfortable - no bed side tables possible, so no lamps beside the bed.
The room is divided by accordion doors. In the living area there was one outdoor wicker chair, a tiny tv, and a queen size sofa bed.
The bathroom was very dark and the shower and sink did not drain well. Serious updating is needed to justify the price. ... a Murphy bed???!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Nice, helpful staff, clean, no, it's not brand new, but well kept, near everything in the south shore Lake Winnipesaukee area, but on a much quieter road than the main drags. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The third building from the beach is good deal farther from the road, in the trees, and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The staff treated us well. Even though, we stated there were 3 of us, only 2 bath towels were left. I spoke to management and it was corrected the next day. We stayed in the motel part of the resort, across the street from the lake. The room is large. Seemed to be an older room. The rug had a stain. When the dehumidifier wasn't running the room had an odor. The pathway bricks are broken and need to be replaced. /We did like being on the ground floor when moving our luggage. Loved having a microwave in our room. Paper towels are supplied. Facial tissues are not. A fair nightly price should be not higher than $165. The pools and lake front was nice. Mini golf, decent restaurants, and tourist attractions are about 10-20 miles away. On day 1 we had lunch at Patrick's Pub. The food was over priced and the menu didn't have a lot of options. They do have a gluten free menu, but expensive. I did like the fact that Walmart & Hanneford wasn't too far away. I highly recommend going to Castle In The Clouds. Beautiful waterfall on the way up, many trails for families. Although the internet said hot dogs would be avail at their snack shack, there were none the day we went. Families should bring a picnic. Restrooms are in need of repair, but adequate. A trolly brings you up to the Castle and there are no restrooms at the Castle. It's about a 4 min walk down from the Castle or you can take the trolley down. We took a cruise around the lake on the Winnepausakee Belle. It was a nice, 90 minute, ride around the lake. The Captain pointed out different islands & homes. May want to bring something for young children to do.

Room Tip: May want to stay in a more expensive room. Check the Meadowoods schedule to see who's playing...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Spent one night here after seeing the Black Crowes with some friends. Rooms were expensive given the season. Kitchen was ok. Rooms in the suite were not overtly dirty, but not clean. There was a jacuzzi tub, but did not consider using it. Looked like it had seen better days. TV's worked fine. Was walking distance to the concert venue. Would not bring my family here. Perfect for 3 guys crashing after a concert with little expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Liverneck
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Made my first trip to Bike Week in Laconia. Found a room at this condotel when most other places were booked up. Should have been a warning but I didn't realize everything books a year ahead EXCEPT the Misty Harbor. Property is outdated and the furniture, fixtures and equipemnt are old and worn. The carpets, beds, bedding, furniture and appliances appear to be directly out of the last century, which was thirteen years ago.
Service with a smile would have been great, Service was expected but not to be found. The desk area was intermittenly staffed, the maintenance staff, if there was one, came in late and left early. People walked around with housekeeping equipment but didn't appear to be keepiig anything but track of time until they could go home. Calling the desk, when the phone was answered, received a grumble and a growl with no follow up. All I wanted was a place to lay my head after visiting the Bike Jam each day. What I got was noise, grundge, mold and mildew, stained linens, stained flooring and worst of all, no apologies for issues such as a lack of hot water, plugged toilets and a leaky dishwasher. I may never make it back to Bike Week, but I sure as hell will never go back to Misty Harbor if I do.

Room Tip: Bring a plunger for the commode and pillow for the bed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kayla D
Reviewed 24 February 2013

On Feb 2nd we decided to venture to Meredith area for the annual Pond Hockey Tournament. Seeing that most places were booked in the Meredith Area we ventured into Gilford and came across the Misty Harbor Motel. The off season rates were very reasonable and they had a indoor pool/hot tub that was enticing. The room (Two Queen Beds), with small fridge/microwave was very clean and the heating system worked great. Nothing like a warm room after a day on the Lake ice.
The issue was such that the next morning when we ventured to take hot shower...there was no hot water. We called up to front desk and the clerk informed us to wait about 15 minutes as the hot water may heat up..we waited around 1/2 hour ..but still..no hot water. The follow-up call to desk clerk stated that we could venture up to the pool area where they have indoor showers available there. The issue was that we were located on the motel side and that we would have to make a small drive in the car up to the Motel Main section..venture out of the car ..with it being 10 degrees outside...etc. We opted to just pack up and leave. Seeing as this was a Sunday there was no manager on duty but the clerk did offer me that managers business card and told me to call on Monday.
The good news: On Monday I did speak with the manager..who was very understanding about the situation. I travel a lot and I set basic expectations. Things happen...no need to get angry or cross ..they just happen. And often I find that if you can relay your experience to the management in a non-confrontational way..you will often find a compromise to your experience. The manager was wonderful..she truly understood the inconvenience..and as it turns out we were not the only customer to have that problem. It appears that another room next to us incurred the same issue. THINGS HAPPEN. The manager apologized and actually thanked us for letting her know of the situation... as this gave her time to look into the problem and resolve. And even though I was possibly looking for a minor reduction to our bill..the manager went one step more and offered my family another overnight stay as guests of the resort.

Being in the Service Business is not easy..there are always numerous factors that take place. More people will often complain than those that offer just one act of kindness.

So with that I want to say that I am looking forward to returning to Misty Harbor and I want to thank the GM and staff for making that extra effort!
And I encourage viewers to check out their web site....the location..the options of indoor pool/Spa (very clean!), beachfront in summer.. and to give this place a try!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rita L
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Having a private beach is very nice. It isn't the largest swim area but enough to enjoy. They are plenty of beach toys for the kids and a real nice family atmosphere. It is great to have a full kitchen for preparing snacks but that is were the good ends. The rest is OK. The room was NOT a suite like we had expected. The private room was a double bed, no TV and a barely working air conditioner. The queen was in the living room with a divider you could pull closed. Before you pulled it closed you had to decide what side is the TV going to be on. Visible for people on the couch or the people on the queen bed. I would not call this a two room suite like we had expected. We never dared try the indoor pool, the smell turned us away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilford
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
Fireside Inn & Suites at Lake Winnipesaukee
Belknap Point Inn
Belknap Point Inn
#3 of 6 in Gilford

Been to Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort? Share your experiences!