“Find another hotel”

Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Gilford
“Find another hotel”
Reviewed 16 August 2005

We planned to stay a weekend up here while visiting at a family reunion. This place seemed to fit what we were looking for. It didn't allow pets and had nonsmoking accomodations. (my two kids and I are asthmatic.) There is an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, playground and beach.

We booked a nonsmoking suite with a bedroom and full kitchen. The website looked great, like it was going to be a decent place. So, we got there and checked in. The reception desk person seemed ok. Not super friendly, but not rude either. We went up to our room on the second floor. All the hotel rooms are on the first or second floor in the part we were in. They all were outside entrances, with balconies on both sides. (one private and the other the main walkway.)

As we walked in, we smelled this horrible smell. It was full of smoke and you could just feel your skin crawl. The floor looked damp and everything looked kind of grungy, like it needed to be recleaned. It didn't look anything like the pictures on the website and definitely didn't smell like I hoped. So we went out to the balcony to think. The air in the room was just aweful. I didn't want my kids breathing it in. One of my kids started coughing immediately. I later went down to talk to the manager about the room.

He said he would send a maintenence man up with an ozone machine to try to clear out the smell. When the mainten. man came up he said, "wow, someone was smoking here." It was very obvious and I couldn't believe housekeeping would even leave the horrible smell in there. It was a non smoking room. The sign was displayed outside the room.

The hotel room, by the way, had a kitchen, living room area with pullout sofa and tv, bedroom separated by accordian type doors and a bathroom.

We went off to check out the outdoor pool while we waited for the machine to take effect. It was nice and quiet. This was the best part of our visit here. The low end of the pool was like 3 feet and deeper around 6 ft.

Back to the room, still smelled. I contacted the manager again and said I couldn't stay here. He said he had no other rooms, apologized and he wouldn't charge me. And by the way, it was 203. a night! Way too much! I thought that he was being a nice guy and tried. Until...

So now it is a month later and he still hasn't taken the bill off my credit card for the weekend. We didn't even sleep there a night, it was just awful and I couldn't risk our health. I have called two to three times and talked with the front desk, whom always say he is busy and will call back and he never does. I have also emailed a couple times and no response.

So now may need to go to the BBB to get my money back. It was a shame that the manager doesn't just handle things. I was not upset about the way things turned out, but now am getting frustrated.

Thankfully we found a nice place around the corner with wonderful people working there.

I had read some of the poor reviews on this trip advisor and thought since they were mostly just staff stuff, no biggie. But, it is important. I wouldn't recommend this place at all.

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2005

Run, don't walk, away from Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort. In brief, my husband and I reserved a one-bedroom suite that opened out onto the outdoor pool, which was necessary because we were traveling with a 7-month old, and wanted easy access to and from the room. This was our first vacation in three years, so we were really looking forward to lazing by the pool.

When we arrived at 2:30 p.m., we pulled up outside the office and
immediately I was struck by the dilapidated appearance of the facade of all
the buildings. They were desperately in need of a coat of paint. And the awning, which announced "Misty Harbor" in huge white letters, was so grimey that the white lettering was gray and you could actually see a thick coating of dirt on it. I was turned off from the start. I went in to see if we could check and and I was told that we were much too early to check in, but that we could
use all of the facilities until check in. The woman was cordial but didn't seem very knowledgeable as to what ammenities were available. I asked if there was a work out room, and she said she didn't know. I asked where the laundry facilities were and she just mumbled something incoherent to me and pointed a finger. A just said, "Great! Thanks!", to avoid confusing her any more. But I did get her to confirm our poolside
room for me.

We went to the private lake front beach area to kill an hour or so until check in, and it was beautiful. The
day was picture perfect, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. When 4
p.m. came my husband checked us in and again were promised the poolside
room. We drove to the back of the building where the pool was and
proceeded to wander around trying to figure out how we get into the room.
We finally figured out that you walk down a dark and dingy alleyway to
get into the room. It was at this point we realized our room was not
poolside, it actually looked out onto the parking lot! In addition, the
room smelled like mildew, and the "one-bedroom" was just a bed stuck in
a bump out with an accordian door pulled across it.

I went back to the office to explain the problem and was told that
there was a poolside room available but that it was dirty and all of the housekeepers had
already worked eight hours that day and wouldn't work any overtime. She said she was expecting someone to come in that evening, and if we wanted to wait in the first room, that person could clean the poolside room, and then we could move over to it. But she had no idea what time they were coming, if at all. I asked if there were any other rooms available in the entire place, and
I was told that all of the available rooms were dirty. At this point, I was beside
myself. I said, "you have rooms available but they are all dirty? You
mean all of the rooms are not cleaned when they become vacant?" She
just looked at me and said, "yup". I was so grossed out at this point
that I asked for a refund and we left. The only reason we were given the
refund is because the woman acknowledged that we had been confirmed a
poolside room three times.

When we were walking out of the alleyway, I was ranting to my husband
that who in their right mind would pay $166/night to stay in a tiny room
that smelled like mildew and looked out at a parking lot. I didn't
realize that there was a man on the staircase above us. He said, "you
don't like your room either?" We proceeded to gripe to each other about
how horrible our rooms were and what a rip off the place was. It made
me happy to know that it just wasn't me being picky.

7 Thank soozp2016

Travellers are raving about these Gilford hotels

Reviewed 7 September 2004

The room was nice and clean. The staff was very helpful, the amenties were excellent not to mention the beautilful lake and beach. I will be back for some winter skiing and definitely a swim in the indoor pool.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 September 2004

What a beautiful, quiet place. Right on the Lake with the mountains as a backdrop.

One of our party had suffered a broken leg and the staff was great in changing our rooms and accomodating us. Val, at the front desk, made sure we had everything we needed and made us feel most welcomed and comfortable. We will be back again in the winter for skiing - hopefully no more broken legs.

Reviewed 17 August 2004

I stayed at the Misty Harbor resort the weekend of August 13/14 2004. The location is OK but you had to cross a somewhat busy street to get to the beach. The motel rooms are very big but for the 139.00 price It was dark and stinky, the carpet was moist (I hope from the humidity.) No pictures on the wall an no overhead lights. This should be a $70-85 motel.

The lines at check in were long and becuase everyone was checking in at the same time the parking area was chaotic, there was even a man from the hotel yelling at everyone to move the cars while everyone was trying to unload.

The pool area is OK. Lots of teenagers throwing each other into the pool.. it has a "pool party" feel.

I would stay here if you have teenagers or lots of kids. Definatley not quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed August 2004
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new hampshire
Reviewed 15 August 2004

We stayed at the Misty Harbor August 14, 2004 for one night. We arrived early afternoon on and asked the front desk clerk if any rooms migh be ready. We were greated with "No way! No how! Absolutly not! 4PM is check in time" thats the quote that is really what she said and she wasn't kidding around she was crabby. She went on to say they were sold out and to come back at 4pm. I walked away so shocked at her poor attitude. If we had not already paid we would have gone home. It gets worse, when you go back to the hotel at 4pm the line at the check in desk it out the door. Well we finally got our room, but while unloading the car a man (security?) said, again another quote "YOU ARE GOING TO MOVE THAT CAR" I politly asked where we should park and he said "anywhere but there" keep in mind there were no signs indicating this was not a valid parking place.
I work in the travel industry and travel frequently mostly to national and state parks and I usually stay at small hotels and motels so I'm not just some snob from the city. This "resort" has the rudest staff I have ever encounterd. I do plan to send a letter the management company about these people. I may even inlcude a book about manners and customer service. Do yourself a favor, pay a few extra dollars and stay at the Naswa or if you don't mind rustic stay at Half Moon Cottages.
This was a big waste of $139.00 who cares if the rooms are nice or not.. if the staff is rude!

12 Thank e0103
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2004

We stayed at Misty Harbor for four nights in August 2004 having made a last minute booking on the spur of the moment. The hotel's private sandy beach is excellent with super views over the lake and the surrounding mountains. Our suite was in a block across the road so there was some traffic noise but this died away at night. The suite had a private balcony which looked out over the lake. The staff were most helpful and friendly. The hotel's location is ideal being in a quiet place near to a marina and a few other properties but away from the touristy Weir's Beach. It suits those (like me and my daughter) who want to sit on the beach and my husband, who preferred trekking in the White Mountains which are nearby

2 Thank JRW120548
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilford
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford
#3 of 6 in Gilford
The Margate Resort
The Margate Resort
#3 of 13 in Laconia

Been to Misty Harbor and Barefoot Beach Resort? Share your experiences!