Ames Farm Inn
Belknap Point Inn(Gilford)(Great Value!)
US$131
TownePlace Suites Laconia Gilford(Gilford)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$153
US$130
US$136
The Margate Resort(Laconia)(Great Value!)
US$130
Hotels.com
US$72
US$70
Lazy E Motor Inn(Weirs Beach)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$206
Travelocity
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I live nearby so I've never stayed in their lakefront cabins, but I do like to stop in at their breakfast and lunch restaurant on occasion during the summer. They are only open during the summer season so if you want to go, plan accordingly.

This used to be a stop on the old Lakeshore Railroad that ran by during the early 1900's and harkens back to the day when people would travel by railroad to a vacation spot and spend a month or so "at the lake." My wife and I sit in the restaurant trying to imagine what it would have been like back in those days. There are some nice old photos on the wall to help the imagination. People still rent the cottages for a week or two at a time and the Ames Farm Inn becomes their summer home for a week or two.

Sure there have been some changes over time but the feel is still the same. It is a relaxing place to go for breakfast. The food is good, the service is good (many family members), the atmosphere is a relaxing throwback to slower times, the prices reasonable. Who knows you may decide to make the Ames Farm Inn part of your vacation plans in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NHDave
Reviewed 21 August 2013

What a nightmare in the "Annex". The building is on a main road with vehicles whizzing by day and night. The vehicles were so close and going so fast that it was actually scary. We were not able to enjoy the quant-looking front porch because of the traffic noise. Mold in the bathroom shower/tub was disgusting. The kitchen sink leaked under the cupboard into the cooking utensils. There was no housekeeping (no fresh towels, etc. in less you went for them yourself). We did not get much sleep and were happy to leave. We would have rented a cabin but they only rent for full weeks and we were only there for 3 (long) nights. Perhaps the cabins are in better shape, but I would not risk it after this experience.

Room Tip: I doubt any of the rooms in the "Annex" are better than the one we stayed in. If you want to be on the Lake, try to stay at the Greystone Inn instead. It is on a much quieter road and as I recall from past visits their rooms/bathrooms were clean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank liz w
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We were driving around Lake Winnipesaukee looking for a spot for breakfast and pulled into the Ames Farm Inn. They have a lovely restaurant facing the lake. It seems the whole family works in the dining room and the service was fantastic. The food was delicious and we wished we'd stayed at the Inn as well. It's a great place to start your day.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank byrnee9
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Perhaps the main building or cabins are nice, but the "annex" buildings across the street are a different story. They appear to be cheap welfare type apartments...basically 4 to a building. Someone we spoke to said people live there full time...so I guess when they have vacancies they try and rent them out to unsuspecting guests. Neither the front door or back door of the building was closed, there were bikes in the hall way and the electrical panel had no door so anyone walking through could shut the power off for the building if they felt like it. As I said it was basically a one bedroom "efficiency" apartment. It was beyond words. Peeling up linoleum, drop tile ceilings, right on a main route. We were there for about 5 minutes and left. I can't believe the state lets them rent these as "guest-rooms". I like to try and stay at local places, but this experience, and the one the night before in Bartlett, NH, are the reasons why I usually prefer chains:(

I'd be very very careful of this place!! Wow I wish I had thought to take pictures!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Eddie7070
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Our family has been coming to Ames for 60+ years. We never tire of the slow pace, the lush green pasture, the sounds of the waves flowing to the shore in front of our cabin. We always meet families who are pinching themselves to make sure where they are is truly real in today's life ' in seconds' world. The friendly staff including original descendants of the Ames family yearly welcome us upon our arrival. To be sure, there are areas of upkeep that may challenge today's demanding public. However, we continue to make our annual stay not for what is missing in 'five star' accommodations, but for the renewed peaceful, friendly 'step back in time' experience that keeps us hopeful for the year ahead.

• Stayed: August 2013