“wonderful Gunstock tubing” 5 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“wonderful Gunstock tubing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

February 27, 2014, I had a great two hours with my grandson at Gunstock tubing. Very organized, safe, fast, and fun. The staff is terrific. So helpful walking in the icy spots.
We could tube together, holding on to each other's tube. The staff would spin us if we asked. We liked lane one and they allowed us to wait for that lane.
I can't praise the staff enough.

Side note----the chili is delicious.

Gilford, New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Positives and negatives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have a mid-week season pass. I have a few complaints: 1)the picnic tables in the Stone Cellar are dirty from food. The tables stay dirty a long time, and accumulate more food mess as time passes. I complained 3x about it, nothing has changed. The Stone Cellar is the main place to put on ski clothing. I don't like getting food messes from the tables, and even dirt and sand on the seats, onto my ski clothing. 2) Bowel movement smells from the bathrooms permeate the hall and creep into the Stone Cellar. There is a disinfectant/deodorizing spray available on top of the "tampon machine". No one seems to use it though. Sometimes I would like to spray it to clear the air, but I don't want to be rude to those who may be "guilty" of not using it for themselves. 3) Sometimes the snow making machines are aimed at the chairlifts. It is worse than regular type of snow falling. It is already very cold in temperature and being bombarded by snow making is very uncomfortable and chilling. 4) Usually the lift attendants do their jobs properly, however sometimes there are "substitutes" who let go of the chair too quickly and it creates quite a jolt to the one who has just sat down. This is also potentially "body damaging". Perhaps my complaints are petty, but I think others would agree with me.
Otherwise, I like Gunstock, I live nearby and try to ski often. Most employees do a good job and the trails are well groomed despite NH's changing weather. There is a nice variety of trails for different skills. I'm an intermediate skier.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Louise S
Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Great Family Mountain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We really enjoy skiing at this mountain. The conditions have been great whenever we have skied here and they do a nice job grooming. There are a few little complaints: The bathrooms are tiny and there are very few, the lift we enjoy skiing as a family is tricky to get (Pistol Triple Chair) and this year the Pistol Triple Chair seems to be geared to snow boarders especially the Side Arm run. Last year that was a favorite run for our children and this year they added jumps for the snowboarders and my girls were almost knocked down several times. We are on a search for a run that allows are children to build their confidence without feeling nervous about being hit by snowboarders. There are a few easier blue runs from the top that we hope to bring them on the next time we are up skiing. My husband and I enjoy being able to take a few runs and meet the kids back at the upper lodge and then ski as a family. Also when the day is done the tubbing is a fun change of pace for the kids and the two hour pass is more than enough time for them to get their fill. We also found that the price of food was not horrible but I still prefer to bring my own because I find the choice very unappealing and less than nutritious. If you need to rent skies their rental department is wonderful and the quality of the equipment is good. If you are planning a trip remember that many of the schools get Friday off to ski so mid week is the best time to hit the slopes. Overall we enjoy this mountain and will continue to ski here while out children develop their skills.

Visited January 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great fun for the whole family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We enjoyed two ski days over President's weekend 2014 and loved both of them. We were skiing with a few families including some younger children (between ages 3 and 7) as well as some more experienced children (ages 9-15) and adults, and the mountain offered something for everyone. They always seem to have a ton of snow, and this weekend was no different. The trail maintenance and grooming is outstanding. The entire mountain staff is incredibly friendly and always helpful. In the cafeteria, when a line started to form, an employee materialized and started to direct the human traffic to minimize wait times. The food was really good - indeed, excellent for a ski lodge like this. The chili and chowder were particularly good. Sure it is absurd to have to pay $3.50 for a hot chocolate, but at least it was tasty. It was very busy for the weekend, and the lodge buildings are relatively small, but because they offer free bag check and free ski check, there's not as much stuff everywhere. Also, the staff did a great job patrolling the cafeterias to remove trash and trays and keep tables clean. The main building is a historic treasure - a public works project from the Depression - and it has a charm that is rare. Sure, that means that the facilities aren't configured in as ideal a fashion as a brand new building might, and the bathrooms are pretty small and dated, but it is worth the trade-off in my view, and it was a nice history lesson to boot. Contrary to other reviews, I found the slope signage to be completely adequate. I do agree that we had to plan our next run a bit, so we knew when to pick up speed to get across flats to another chair. That's a little harder with the smaller children/less accomplished skiers, but it was still fine. The longest wait was in the morning for about 20 minutes at one chair. The rest of the weekend it was maybe 5 minutes. The beginner's area with the magic carpet was perfect for the 3 year old to build up some confidence, also with a 5-10 minute wait at times, but nothing too terrible. The steeper runs were arguably "black" diamonds, but enough of a challenge for the expert adults/teens. The main terrain park was competition-grade, and the runs with smaller terrain obstacles were perfect for the kids. And the views are indeed stunning. This isn't a place I would go for an experts-only weekend - it's truly a family-oriented mountain. Be sure to buy tickets in advance, e.g. on Liftopia, for the best prices.

Seekonk, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Gun shy at Gunstock”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I wanted to like this mountain as its location was ideal from the Providence area and the views of Lake Winnipesaukee were stunning, but something was missing. The signage on the mountain was poor as we found ourselves, at times, at junctions and unsure if we were on a new trail. Getting from one lift to another required Nordic skiing, at times, trudging breathlessly to get to the next lift if we wanted to try a different part of the mountain. The most subtle annoyance, which took awhile to detect, was the variation within a trail. Often, the slope or width would change within the same trail from a medium blue to a light black to an easy green. This was more of an issue for beginner to intermediate skiers but of concern, nonetheless. There were also a shortage of true green trails on this slope.