“Fun for all”

Gunstock Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Gilford
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This past season I traveled to several mid-New Hampshire ski areas including Waterville Valley, Sunapee and Gunstock. I enjoyed Gunstock the most. While Sunapee and Waterville Valley have more challenging trails, Gunstock was by far the best groomed mountain of the three. It's a smaller operation, but it's run well. No, you're not going to get cuisine for lunch. You'll get a hamburger, hot dog or chicken strips, but so what? I don't go skiing for the food. Their rentals tend to be older, but if you're renting, you probably won't care. The mountain has spectacular views and a friendly and helpful staff and long, winding trails.

I skied a full six hours and loved it. I'm definitely going back next season.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"black diamond"
"lots of fun"

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Gunstock has something for everyone and all year round. Skiing and tubing in the winter, zip-lining (longest and fastest in North America) and tree top adventures in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Live entertainment on the weekends in the Pistol Pub is all fun. The food is good, reasonable and there is a great selection. I don't ski but I spend a fair amount of time at the mountain as my husband works there part-time in the winter on the NASTAR race hill and I go up and hang out at the top with everyone. The views are spectacular with the lake right there.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

February 27, 2014, I had a great two hours with my grandson at Gunstock tubing. Very organized, safe, fast, and fun. The staff is terrific. So helpful walking in the icy spots.
We could tube together, holding on to each other's tube. The staff would spin us if we asked. We liked lane one and they allowed us to wait for that lane.
I can't praise the staff enough.

Side note----the chili is delicious.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I have a mid-week season pass. I have a few complaints: 1)the picnic tables in the Stone Cellar are dirty from food. The tables stay dirty a long time, and accumulate more food mess as time passes. I complained 3x about it, nothing has changed. The Stone Cellar is the main place to put on ski clothing. I don't like getting food messes from the tables, and even dirt and sand on the seats, onto my ski clothing. 2) Bowel movement smells from the bathrooms permeate the hall and creep into the Stone Cellar. There is a disinfectant/deodorizing spray available on top of the "tampon machine". No one seems to use it though. Sometimes I would like to spray it to clear the air, but I don't want to be rude to those who may be "guilty" of not using it for themselves. 3) Sometimes the snow making machines are aimed at the chairlifts. It is worse than regular type of snow falling. It is already very cold in temperature and being bombarded by snow making is very uncomfortable and chilling. 4) Usually the lift attendants do their jobs properly, however sometimes there are "substitutes" who let go of the chair too quickly and it creates quite a jolt to the one who has just sat down. This is also potentially "body damaging". Perhaps my complaints are petty, but I think others would agree with me.
Otherwise, I like Gunstock, I live nearby and try to ski often. Most employees do a good job and the trails are well groomed despite NH's changing weather. There is a nice variety of trails for different skills. I'm an intermediate skier.

1  Thank Louise S
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We really enjoy skiing at this mountain. The conditions have been great whenever we have skied here and they do a nice job grooming. There are a few little complaints: The bathrooms are tiny and there are very few, the lift we enjoy skiing as a family is tricky to get (Pistol Triple Chair) and this year the Pistol Triple Chair seems to be geared to snow boarders especially the Side Arm run. Last year that was a favorite run for our children and this year they added jumps for the snowboarders and my girls were almost knocked down several times. We are on a search for a run that allows are children to build their confidence without feeling nervous about being hit by snowboarders. There are a few easier blue runs from the top that we hope to bring them on the next time we are up skiing. My husband and I enjoy being able to take a few runs and meet the kids back at the upper lodge and then ski as a family. Also when the day is done the tubbing is a fun change of pace for the kids and the two hour pass is more than enough time for them to get their fill. We also found that the price of food was not horrible but I still prefer to bring my own because I find the choice very unappealing and less than nutritious. If you need to rent skies their rental department is wonderful and the quality of the equipment is good. If you are planning a trip remember that many of the schools get Friday off to ski so mid week is the best time to hit the slopes. Overall we enjoy this mountain and will continue to ski here while out children develop their skills.