“A "Must Stay" in the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire!”

Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Glen B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“A "Must Stay" in the beautiful White Mountains of New Hampshire!”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This Inn, very recently acquired by new owners Steve & Katey, is one of the most beautiful, comfortable, hospitable Bed and Breakfasts in which I've ever had the pleasure to stay. As you see in the Inn's main photo, it is postcard picturesque, and as you approach it on route 302, it looks every bit as beautiful as the photo. It is just a mile or so beyond the intersection of routes 302 & 16.

Steve, who has years of experience managing all sizes of hotels, made us feel so welcome -- we wanted to stay an extra night, but our travel plans would not allow it. You feel right at home at the Bernerhof. Without being intrusive, Steve has a real knack for hospitality. He is always ready with great suggestions on things to do and especially GREAT places to eat! (One of his suggestions -- the White Mountain Cider Company -- offers delicious meals that are quite superior to the everyday fare you find at other restaurants.) His excellence is apparent in every aspect of your stay.

For me, this Inn was everything I've ever imagined a Bed and Breakfast to be, from its stately Victorian exterior with welcoming wrap-around porch to its warm, cozy interior rooms--it kind of reminded me of returning to my grandmother's home as a child. Outside, there is plenty of off-street parking and even a nature walk through the wooded property (we didn't try it -- we visited the week of Thanksgiving when there were several inches of snow on the ground). Inside, the rooms are spacious and each has a unique character, decorated with either antiques or period reproductions. I'm not sure about this, but I think every room might also have a Jacuzzi bath -- ours did, along with a relaxing sitting area and a very authentic-looking electric fireplace. If you visit in the Winter, you will have no problem staying warm and comfortable in any room in the Inn. You won't be disappointed with a stay at the Bernerhof Inn.

One final comment about the Inn: their location is superb. It is somewhat central to many of the attractions in the White Mountains. Just a few minutes drive from the Inn up route 16 brings you to Jackson, a pretty little town with a covered bridge. A few minutes more up the road and you are at the Mount Washington Auto road. A drive (or ride with a tour) to the top brings you to the Mt. Washington Observatory!

If you go the other way on 16 (south) to Conway, you'll come to the famous Kancamagus Hwy (said to be one of the most beautiful drives in the country) which will provide you with breathtaking views as you travel across the White Mountains to where you can pick up the Franconia Notch Pkwy. Travelling north brings you to many of the area's interesting sites (Franconia Notch State Park, The Flume Gorge, The Indian Head, etc.). Continuing north you will connect with Rt. 302, and as you head south & east back toward the Bernerhof, you can stop off at the Cog Railway for a fascinating train ride to the top of Mount Washington (in case you didn't, or even if you did, drive to the top). Further down the road, and you are back at the Bernerhof Inn! We easily drove this loop one afternoon during our visit.

All-in-all, I can't wait to return to the Bernerhof -- perhaps next summer, or more likely, in Autumn, when the leaves change . . .

Room Tip: All of the rooms have their own character and appeal, but my favorite was the one in which we stayed...
2 Thank J J
SteveandKatey, Owner at Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear friends from Tampa: Thank you humbly for the wonderful review of your trip North! Yes, making your aquaintance was a highlight for us as well. We are proud of the memories the Inn setting provided you and as you commented about your first sights of snow, the special time guests have together are just rewards for us every day we're hosting new and familiar friends. Rest assured we will share the A+ feedback with the White Mountain Cider Co team - one of our best dining neighboring friends an Inn could want....

We hope your trip to Plymouth Plantation on Thanksgiving was a highlight as well, we did our best to convince you to extend time in the The White Mountains with us but now we'll settle for seeing you back in 2014!

Again, you've made our day with your special posting - have a great holiday season and come back up and see us anytime you tire of the Tampa Beach.

Yours in Travel,
Katey and Steve

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 December 2013

What an amazing place!! I initially chose this Inn because they offered cooking classes.. Something different that “other inns” do not offer. The Inn owners Steve & Katey are very accommodating, and a blast to talk with. They make you feel very welcome, like part of the family. I’ve been to quite a few B&B’s in the area. Bernerhof Inn earns my 1st review as they push the envelope of what should be expected. Food was fantastic, great beer selection. See you in a few months.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ben V
SteveandKatey, Owner at Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Dear Honeymooners: Thank you for taking a moment to review your special time together under our roof! We thoroughly enjoyed having you for the nights you stayed to participate in our cooking school and enjoy the best of Mount Washington Valley's venues as you honeymooned. We found our time chatting at breakfasts and in the Black Bear Pub to be nice and appreciate your kind recap youve written! Now we look forward to the anniversary trips where all it takes is a call or email to let us know that Ben and Erin are celebrating an anniversary with us! Have a great first holiday season as a married couple and know that we're looking forward to catching up on your next CT to NH jaunt!

Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have been traveling to the Mt. Washington Valley for a few years to sk i- Bretton Woods, Attitash and Wildcat. Last year we came across the Bernerhof during our first trip up for the ski season, and we have not stayed anywhere else since - summer included. The basics: The inn is clean, charming, and convenient to everything, be it skiing, hiking, shopping, dining etc. The rooms are very cozy with little fireplaces, flat screen TVs, and wireless. But more than that, the inn and the inn keepers have developed a very special atmosphere, unique to a bed and breakfast . The minute you walk through the door you are greeted by people who want to make your stay the most enjoyable experience possible. Steve and Katey, and Mike before them, set out to make sure you are comfortable and to answer any questions you may have about the area. They can offer discounted ski tickets, recommendations on where to eat (places off the beaten path - Shovel Handle is our favorite) and share the general knowledge they have gained from years of living in the area. Each morning there is a fabulous breakfast, and always fresh coffee/tea and cookies waiting in the afternoon. But what we have enjoyed particularly about the Bernerhoff is how it is just the right size to be relaxing, yet still be lively during your stay. If you are looking for a quiet getaway, its a great place; but don't be surprised if you find yourself drawn out and into the living room before or after dinner to play cards by the fire, grab a drink at the pub, and just talk and laugh with Steve, Katey and the other guests. It's a great place, one we have gone back to again and again, and highly recommended to friends.

Room Tip: Each room is unique - and all nice. Check out the website to get a good description.
1 Thank David D
SteveandKatey, Owner at Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Diehard Skiing friends; You both are probably the top commuters up and down Attitash's slopes! We are so proud to be your away-from-home-home! We will see you this weekend for sure and cannot wait to present you with your Attitash Resort Welcome Gift they've put together based on all those slope feet you've put down! Thank you for the gracious comments about feeling comfortable within our Inn and and we look forward to seeing you every Ski-able weekend you drive North for....

Atkinson, New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a one night stay in the Bretton woods room. We were greeted by the inns cute puppy named Holly, loved her! The room was cozy and clean and Steve was very accommodating without being pushy. We had a one hour couples massage which was lovely. The fresh baked cookies and coffee/tea bar were a nice touch. My only suggestions (not complaints) would be to book a second floor room away from the kitchen if you like to sleep in. It can get slightly noisy during the morning rush. Secondly the room would benefit from separate hot tub towels and possibly bathrobes. But these are very minor suggestions, I really can't say a bad word about the place! We will definitely be going back. Thanks for everything Steve!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Erica H
Dear Anniversary friends: We loved the review you wrote and yes, Holly remains at an excitable level to take guests out for a walk and tour of our hiking trails! Thank you so much for your kind words and we are pleased to be the backdrop of your special time together! We appreciated the review of your accommodations as well as your breakfast! It makes our day to read a follow up to all the ingredients of a good stay - and an unforgettable time together! Have a great Christmas and come back soon, well before your Anniversary! Katey and Steve
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Bernerhof is a classic beauty, elegant but cozy. Updated with iMacs on every level, and iPads for loan in the rooms. There is so much to do in the area, but you might not want to leave, with a collection of movies, for curling up in your room. or board and card games down in common spaces. Also there is a Spa that my wife absolutely loves, And a wine and craft beer bar that will quench any thirst. This is all amazing, But what makes me love the Bernerhof is that it's innkeepers are of the highest quality I have met in the hospitality business. Breakfast each day is full of carefully prepared choices, and service is top notch at every turn. But it is Steve and Katey's ability to make you feel at home, and even feel like family, the right kind of family(engaging, caring, but intuitive and non-intrusive) that makes all the difference. I really can't speak highly enough of these people. My wife and I will be returning as often as we can.

2 Thank Daniel C
SteveandKatey, Owner at Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us! We subscribe to the idea of treating guests as friends and by the time they leave, they truly are. We loved reading your thoughtful review and promise to be ready for your revisit anytime you get the itch! Have a beautiful Christmas and know that you've now got some new friends in travel to add to your plans to see in the upcoming seasons.

Innkeepers
Boston, Ma
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I just returned from the Bernerhof Inn and let me just tell you we have been missing out not staying here in the past! I have been up to the North Conway area many many times and after always staying at the same places my husband and I wanted something a little more quaint and romantic. I trusted the reviews I read on tripadvisor and we booked it for one night. From the minute we pulled into the lot I loved it. The place is very inviting and sweet looking on the outside, very pretty at night time. We first walked in and were greeted by Steve, one of the innkeepers, he is amazing! He was friendly and immediately went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable, happy, had something to eat, had a cocktail, knew the area, had dinner plans, and the list goes on and on. I felt as if I were visiting relatives. Our room was amazing, nice comfortable king size bed, amazing Jacuzzi tub, and the décor was very clean and very very home like, we LOVED it.

We got settled in, had some fresh baked cookies, and went for a couples massage. I have had several massages in my lifetime and my goodness this was the best massage I had ever had, my husband really enjoyed his as well! The serenity was so much needed and it was so romantic. After that we had dinner and came back to Steve ready to give us a nice glass of wine in front of the fireplace. When we woke we had a fresh home cooked breakfast by Katey, the innkeeper, which was to die for.

It really is just so hard to put in to words how great this place was! You must try this place if you never have, we cannot wait to go back!!!! Thank you Steve and Katey for the most amazing romantic getaway my husband and I have had for a long time!!!!

John and Angie

1 Thank apinksoprano79
What you have been missing all along is exactly what you should have been finding! We loved getting to know you both and even to the extent that you took Holly on a lend-a-dog walk was so kind. We both just read your fine review and are proud to be the backdrop to a getaway you've planned for quite awhile. Thank you for the kind words about our accommodations and the overall stay you had. We wish you could have stayed longer and will be poised to greet you back soon enough!

Thank you again, Katey and Steve, Innkeepers
Plaistow, New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This Inn is in a great location first of all. Close to everything! Skiing, restaurants, outlets, trails, everything.

The inn keepers are wonderful. They even let us walk their dog around the nature trail on the property!

The house is beautiful with all the old Victorian charm you could ask for. It was clean and comfortable. Our room had a huge 2 person jacuzzi tub with a huge shower head. The bed and room was comfortable and cozy. It really was perfect.

We would love to go back and try the cooking class! It looked like a lot of fun! The afternoon snacks and breakfast were delicious.

We really enjoyed our time and will love to come back some day.

• Stayed November 2013
SteveandKatey, Owner at Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear friends from Plaistow: Thank you for staying at our Inn this holiday season and for the wonderful review after! First and foremost, Holly our Bernerhof Hiking Dog friend probably had more fun than you did on our hiking loop! She brings smiles to everyone who walks her and we believe she's proud of taking the lead and watching to make sure our guests are keeping up with her guiding!

Thank you also for the accolades on the details we are proud of here, from clean to comfortable, those descriptions make us proud and is the reason why we love to open our doors for guests every single day!

Come back in '14 and spend some time with us and if you stay tuned to our website we are going to be listing our Taste of The Mountains classes and dining programs shortly. We have approximately 4 classes a month and another dining event each quarter. We hope to see you then!

Happy Holidays from Katey and Steve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
#1 of 12 in Bartlett
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Bernerhof Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!