“Great family campground!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glen
Glen Ellis Family Campground
Walpole, New Hampshire
“Great family campground!”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This was our first time camping(tenting) with our three kids, 8, 6 and 4. We weren't sure what to expect, but this was a great place. We registered quickly and the staff was very friendly. It was easy to find our spot and it was great to be next to the river! The bathrooms were very clean. The kids enjoyed the pool and the arcade. We are planning on going back in August!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa B

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 June 2013

For our first family camping experience, I am afraid we may be ruined for all other campgrounds to follow. The campsites and facilities, including a pool, bath houses and arcade room are maintained meticulously. This was our first trip camping as a family, with our 2.5 and 4 yr. olds. They had so much fun playing with the rocks along the river bed and swimming in the pool. There was a probably a 50/50 mix of tents vs travel trailers. The staff and owners have much pride in this place and immediately responded to complaints regarding campers setting off banned fireworks. They will not tolerate obnoxious, loud or disrespectful campers! The grounds are close to attractions for enjoying Mt. Washington, Storyland, and other amusements in the North Conway area. There are several restaurants within a 10 minute drive or a grocery store, should you need supplies. We had such an enjoyable visit, despite rain everyday and have reserved subsequent visits!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Laurie B
Norton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My family and I go camping at Glen Ellis every Memorial day and Columbus day weekend and I love it! I've been going there since I was a little girl, it was great then and is great now! The grounds are extremely well kept, they have a playground area for kids, a baseball field, tennis court and arcade (although I think a video arcade defeats the purpose of camping). The bathrooms are very well maintained and clean and I have never had a complaint with them. The showers are clean (although I always wear flip flops in them) and have great water pressure and temperature and is only $0.25 for five minutes. We have the same spot every time right on the Saco River and I love the view. They also provide tubes at the front office where you can rent and ride down the river. It is so fun I suggest everyone try it! The only thing I would change is change quiet hour from starting at 10:00 pm to 11:00 pm. I know that it is a family campground, but we're there on vacation to have fun and like to stay up and have a good time without worrying about getting in trouble. The staff at Glen Ellis is super friendly and very family oriented which I like. They are close to Mt. Washington and a lot of fun things to do in the area!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KMichajlov
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 February 2013

My daughters go here every year. We started when they were very young. I'm a single parent and did a ton of research and picked Glen Ellis and I have been glad I did ever since. It is a very family friendly place, plenty of room so you're not on top of other campers and in general a great community atmosphere. This very clean and well maintained with a responsive staff. We go every year and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: Great family place to camp!
2 Thank Ken G
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in August 2012 and had a great time! It was very family orientated, and everyone was very friendly. Our kids (10, 7 and 2) had a blast tubing down the river. They also had a movie outside one night for the kids and had other activities throughout the week. The bathhouses were cleaned 2-3 times a day, and the grounds were very well maintained. It's also very close to Storyland and to Diana's Bath, which my kids also enjoyed. We plan on going back again next year.

3 Thank mruffini
New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had booked a 6 day stay at another local campground that we'd been to before (a longstanding family tradition). Unfortunately, Irene and some other issues have been unkind to that other place (which shall remain nameless), and we were extremely disappointed upon our arrival there. After spending a day there, we were desperate enough to get out that we didn't care if we lost our monies paid. A local raved about Glenn Ellis - we were aware of its reputation, but it is impossible to get into for most of the summer. We decided to give it a shot, and we were able to snag a spot on a day's notice.

I do not agree with some of the other reviewers who thought it expensive - although as we do not tent camp, I have no frame of reference for what a site with no hook-ups would generally cost. However, I am a true believer in "you get what you pay for", and Glenn Ellis gives you your money's worth for sure. True to our local guide's word, arriving there was like upgrading to the Four Seasons. The woman who checked us in couldn't have been more friendly or helpful, the facilities are unequaled, and there is not a trace of Irene anywhere (which was a major issue at the place we fled from). We were there during the last week of the summer, just before Labor Day, and I understand that it had been booked solid until that week when most kids in the area went back to school. Our site for those 4 days was spacious and grassy, and the campground quiet but not desserted - there were a few other kids, which our boys appreciated. The Game Barn was better than anything we've seen at any other campground, the pool was very clean (although cool), the basketball, volleyball, and tennis courts were well kept, the playground very high standard for a campground, and there was even a little "water spray" park for the kids. The beach/river are rocky, but fun - beware, the water can be deceivingly swift for children, and my son had a heavy rock dropped on his finger. They also had kids' movie night a couple of times, and ice cream available for purchase on the weekend.

The hookups were a little awkward for us, and the fire pits, not just on our site but on others as well, also seemed awkwardy placed (under a tree, and way too close to our large motor home) - we were unable to use ours on either site because of placement and proximity to our rig. As it was not a busy week, all bathrooms/showers were very clean (seemed like there might not be enough facilities if the place was full?), but there was a wasp nest under the doorframe of the ladies room nearest our site (with a sign that they were spraying), which made it a little stressful to use.

It was nice to have "security" around on their golf carts after dark - and all folks we dealt with were friendly and conversational. We decided to try to extend our stay one extra day into Labor Day weekend. At first we were told they were completely sold out, but when we checked back on Friday, just as we packed up to leave, they were able to give us a new space for the night. I think they probably reserve some sites for travelers passing through (as most campgrounds do), as this new site had been offered to us on our first night there (we chose another), and had obviously been available all along, even though they told us they were sold out. Just a note, it got significantly busier on Thursday and Friday night, but I can't say that we were disturbed in any way by the acitivity. On the contrary, it was nice to have people around after a very quiet week.

All in all, Glenn Ellis is comparable to the best campgrounds we've ever stayed in, and we've been all over the country. It is obvious the people who own/run it care about what they're doing, and they're doing it right. When we return to the area, we will look to stay with Glenn Ellis going forward, but will try to plan ahead, as I understand many folks reserve their sites one to two years in advance (YIKES!!).

Thanks Glenn Ellis - you saved our vacation!

Room Tip: Reserve early, or check last minute. They fill up fast, but seem to reserve a few rooms for last mi...
2 Thank wertwotall
Connecticut
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Glenn Ellis. The wide open spaces, mountain views and the sound of the river, make this campground very relaxing and enjoyable. My kids loved tubing down the river. I wish I had brought their life jackets, though. The river can get pretty swift and there were a few nervous Mommy moments. Also, bring water shoes. The river rocks, while beautiful, really hury the feet. I recommend you bring your own tubes. They charge $10 per person per day. Expensive! The location and river were the highlights. Not sure I would come back though. The bathrooms were pretty dirty and smelly and it was difficult for our three boys to ride bikes on the unpaved roads.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen
Bartlett Inn
Storybook Inn & Suites
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#4 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Glen Ellis Family Campground? Share your experiences!