“Met basic needs”

Storybook Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 5 Glen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed in one of the suites (I believe attached rooms 3 and 4) for one night. The building the suites are in is quite old and very interesting, in my opinion, though definitely had a musty, old smell. It didn't bother me because I like that old house smell, but I'm sure many people would not be happy about that. That smell was really just downstairs in the entrance though. The rooms smelled fine. The air conditioners worked well, the tv's were fine (they didn't look very sturdy and we have two toddlers so we were concerned, but they were actually sturdy). The beds were old and harder than we like, but they served their purpose. The carpets were vacuumed well, but were a little old and seemed to have a couple stains. The towels in the bathroom were stained and the bathtub did not drain properly; also there seemed to be a little mold on the ceiling in the bathroom, but otherwise the bathroom was very clean, though narrow. The doors are very old, as is the whole building, so the room were slightly slanted and the doors fit strangely. I thought it was really cool. The whole place would have been nicer with decor that fit the age of the home instead of standard motel sheets and covers. The one weird thing about our stay in this room is that there was no telephone. It was missing; the cord was there, but no sign of the phone. We wanted to call because the wifi wasn't working (the signal is really bad in the building) and then discovered the lack of phone. It was too late at night to go to the desk and ask about it. The next morning at checkout my husband went to mention it to the staff person, but it was an elderly gentleman who was very hard of hearing and didn't understand what my husband was trying to tell him, so he gave up on it. Overall, it was kind of a strange stay, but I think I would stay again. The suite was a good size and we needed the space for our kids. Next time we'll try a different suite room and one day when we don't need so much space we'll try one of the regular motel rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Burday

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stopped here when shopping in North Conway with the children. Rates seemed reasonable. Rooms were 'adequate'. Customer service was the pitts. When you needed service a walkie talkie was left on the door of the office for you to page someone. I did this two or three times with nobody answering.

At one point my husband was in the shower and the owner walked right into the room and into the bathroom. When he approached the office about the inappropriateness of this they said "what are you going to do he is the owner and he's getting old!"

We would never stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank NS_Travellers2013
Reviewed 2 September 2013

After driving around trying to find a Inn/Hotel to stay one night we came across Storybook Inn. They had vacancies and we decided to check. The price was $175.00 a night! They gave us a room up in Hillside. Upon arriving our room the patio door was open not locked. The room has wall paper, the room smell, TV was placed on a stand that can easily be knocked over. The AC did not worked and it was a muggy night. I went over to the front desk and they gave me another room in which that AC was not working neither. The lady that worked at the front desk went up to even check. She stated that she had recently had them service. She then stated for us to stay and leave the windows open. I was surprise for $175 a night she will offer such hospitality! We ended up getting reimburse and left. I do NOT recommend this Inn to anyone they are in need of some serious renovation. I would NEVER stay here. The only good thing is that it's within walking distance to Storyland.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My family and my friend's family have been returning to the Storybook Inn every year now for quite some time. We always get the end units at Brookside where we have big rooms with an outside patio. We set up our grill on the grass next to our unit and we enjoy three or four days of peace and quiet, as well as my cooked meals. The kids love to go swimming in the outdoor and indoor pools, play at the swing set area, and visit the game room where they play ping pong and constantly hound me to give them more quarters so they can play the video games. They run all over the back yard and side yards. I feel safe letting my kids run about, as we are situated a long ways from the road and are surrounded by woods. The front desk clerk has always neen helpful and friendly to me and my kids. We usually go to Attitash's alpine slide and water slides, aout five minutes away. I like being situated in Glen, because I'm away from the hub bub of North Conway's traffic, lines, and people. I get everything I need In Glen-- a grocery store and several restaurants are within walking distance, not to mention being able to walk to Storyland. Storybook's the perfect place to start off from to get to the places we like to visit in the shortest amount of time.

Room Tip: Queen rooms with the outside patio are worth the extra $10 than the standard poolside queen rooms--q...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank kkarren
Reviewed 27 July 2013

While the location is nice, and they have rooms set back off the highway and was very quiet, that is where the charm ends. The hotel needs a major overhaul. We stayed with our two toddlers, and while hotel rooms are never child safe this was worse than most. We had to switch rooms as the tv( that was a larger non flat screen) sat on a wobbly tv stand. This could easily been pulled over, and hurt someone. There was no in room coffee maker, but the fridge and microwave were nice to have in the rooms without having to request. Overall we will not be back and hope the storybook inn revamp their property.

2  Thank Jgadwa
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The family and I have visited Storybook Inn for years. We missed last year since we decided to try another hotel. We were disappointed with our visit this year. On our previous visits, the indoor and outdoor pools were great. Plus, the indoor and outdoor spas worked.
On our current visit, we found the outdoor pool cloudy and green. They also had a garden hose feeding water into the pool. Of course, that caused the water to be really cold.
The indoor pool was a little cleaner but still had a little green color. In addtion, it was cold and not heated. I remember the indoor pool used to have a comfortable temperature.
The indoor spa did not actually work. The jets were really weak and it was not very hot. In addition, the paint was chipping off into the water.
The outdoor spa seemed to work, but it was not really hot.
Overall, the staff was really friendly and helpful. It does appear that the Inn's maintenance has become very laxed, compared to our previous visits. I also noticed that the price did not match the original price list, when I checked out online. Somebody else, on TripAdvisor, noticed that also.
I doubt we will visit again. That is too bad since we did enjoy our visits in the past.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I took a trip to NH to take our 2 year old to Storyland. We chose this hotel because it was so close to the theme park. I usually research every hotel that we stay in and if I had looked on trip advisor first, I would have known to stay away from this place, but for some reason I didn't look into it beforehand. This place is straight out of the 50s and has not been touched since then.

Pros: ???

Cons: The pool was very old and dirty (We only saw the outside pool, so not sure what the indoor one looked like). The small tv in the room came in fuzzy. When we turned the water on to give our daughter a shower the water came out rusty and ran brown for about 5 minutes, ew! The towels were very rough and had stains on them, also ew. There were bugs throughout the room. The sliding glass door that lead to the patio did not lock! We propped a chair up against the handle in hopes that it would stop someone from breaking in. There are several buildings to this place and we were placed in one further back. We were the ONLY people in the entire building. So sketchy! We were only there for one night, so we didn't do anything about it and after being in the park we were so exhausted that we just decided to deal with it, but under any other circumstances we would have gone to a different hotel. I also noticed that the prices listed under the rates section on their website were way lower than what we were actually charged. Supposed to be $125 for a weekday and we were charged $140. If I had known what we were getting into I would not have even paid the $125. Definitely DO NOT recommend this place to anyone!!! EW, EW, and EWWW!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel
Swiss Chalets Village Inn
Swiss Chalets Village Inn
#2 of 3 in Intervale

Been to Storybook Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!