“Decent, very family oriented...”

Storybook Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 5 Glen B&B and Inns
Quincy, MA
“Decent, very family oriented...”
Reviewed 30 July 2007

We stayed up there with two families and booked at the last moment and were able to get two rooms side-by-side.
The hotel was OK, rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
The outdoor pool needed some sprucing up but the indoor pool was great and the kids loved it.
The grounds were good and it was a plus having a playground for the kids.
The restaurant was "closed for renovations" so we had to venture out for food (no mention of this on their website) but the staff was very good at recommending a couple of family friendly places in the immediate area.
The staff was great and they went above and beyond to make your stay a pleasant one.
Overall, I think that this place is a decent choice to stay with your family especially with Storyland right around the corner (about five minutes away by car).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank jjt34

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mansfield
Reviewed 19 July 2007

In all fairness this hotel is rough at best!
We drove up from Mansfield, MA and had 2 kids in tow ages 2 and 4.
They loved being in a hotel for the night but my husband and I were definitly not thrilled with the uncomfortable, hard "mattress" or was that a box spring being passed off as a mattress that we slept on?
The place was in deed very musty smelling and left a lot to be desired as far as cleanliness was concerned.
The walls were thin as paper so we heard everything that was going on inthe room next door and the loud voices outside our window .
So much for trying to save a buck!!! I would much rather have spent a little more.
The only upside is that I not knowing it would be this crowded to get lodging near Story Land waited too late to get a room. It was good that we could get a room and still take our planned trip although this hotel is in desperate need of upgrades!!!
The resteraunt on the grounds was sooooo pathetic we just got up and left ! Good thing too because we went right around the corner and found Red Foxx resteraunt and they had the BEST FRESHEST MOST DELICIOUS ALL YOU CAN EAT BREAKFAST I'VE HAD IN MANY YEARS!!!!!
The resteraunt definitly made the trip worth while.

• Liked — not much. I had shelter that's about it. Camping out would have been cheaper.
  • Disliked — The beds had absolutely pathetic mattresses!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Quittrippin

Travellers are raving about these Glen hotels

New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 August 2006

I used to live in this area and have driven by this place a million times. It always looked great from the highway, on a hillside with the pool area all lit up and so on. I have since moved away, but recently returned on a family vacation to take my kids to Storyland (virtually next door).

Let me tell you, any niceness quickly disipates when you drive in and start looking more closely. The place is just in a state of complete disrepair and neglect. Peeling paint, unkept grounds and it only gets worse when you get to the room. The musty room contained furniture and carpeting that should have been replaced at least 25 yrs ago. The mattresses were completely shot; I could literally feel the springs poking me, not to mention very loud creaking whenever anybody moved a muscle (including my 6 yr. old!!). Everything just looked and felt dirty. Cobwebs in the entry-way; a rusted out patio table and chairs on a broken concrete slab surrounded by weeds outside our room; dirty windows we couldn't open.

The bottom of the indoor pool was covered with what looked like algae but I couldn't be sure. The outside pool had a lot of dead bugs floating on the surface and at least a couple of bandaids. The outdoor hot tub obviously was out of service for a verrry long time and there were larvae and insects swimming in it that I could not identify. I am NOT kidding about this!!! If it's broken they could at least cover it with a piece of plywood. My little girl walked up to it and was going to put her foot in it!!!

After a completely sleepness night feeling like bed bugs were biting me (admitedly it was probably my imagination), we were going to get the heck out of there first thing in the morning. But guess what? The office doesn't open until 8am. What place has NOBODY on duty until 8am! At 8 o'clock sharp I checked out and the girl behind the desk was going to charge me $20 for checking out a day early! After I made a bit of a fuss she didn't charge me. I didn't get into all my complaints since she was just a kid and I did her job at a hotel many, many years ago. And, I figured 'what's the point'?

By now the kids were hungry and we wanted to get to Storyland when it opened, so we made our final stupid mistake by trying their on-site restaurant (which also doesn't open till 8). Again, it probably was a nice place about 20 yrs ago when somebody knew how to run it, but it was in about as good shape as the room (well, nothing could be that bad really). Our waitress spoke no English...really, none. I don't know how she managed to even get our order partially correct. I ordered and omellete with diced ham and got scrambled eggs with a ham steak. My little girl ordered frosted shreaded wheats, and got.....well I still don't know what she got but eventyually settled for Fruit Loops.

I have never written a bad review of anything, but felt compelled to warn anybody out there not to be drawn in to this awful place. Oh, and I forgot the price for this disaster.. $150!!!!!! $35 would have been more appropriate.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Disgusting room, horrible beds and expensive.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank mrlnh
Reviewed 25 June 2006

We recently rented 4 rooms in the Poolside for ourselves and relatives. We felt that Storybook Resort was better than similarly priced hotels due to the following:
1. the staff and workers were extremely helpful and accommodating
2. the wading pool for children was great
3. the indoor pool and hot tub were A+
4. it is right next to Story Land!
5. a breakfast restaurant on the property
6. walk to Dunkin Donuts, Dairy Queen, and other family restaurants
7. a playground and tennis court on property
8. we were satisfied with the Poolside rooms ~ beds were comfortable, walk to pool, plenty of towels, clean
We would stay here again with small children.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 January 2006

My wife & I took our two small children to StoryLand and stayed here. I can't even begin to tell you how disgusting the room was. The wallpaper was peeling, one of our windows didn't even have a shade, their was a putrid moldly smell permeating the whole room. In addition to that the carpet was so disgusting that we wouldn't let our children walk on it. We placed them on the bed and carried them out the next morning. Our matresses were so bad that only one of the beds was comfortable enough to sleep in. Finally thinking about the bathroom still makesmy skin crawl. The tub was black with what looked like years of neglect. We booked two nights but stayed only one. If we didn't have the kids with us then we wouldn't have stayed at all. If you think I am kidding or making it up then help yourself to the worst experience you will ever have and book a room here. Wish I had read some of the reviews here before booking. The one good review makes me wonder how many places they have actually stayed.

• Stayed August 2005
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maine
Reviewed 10 October 2005

We just spent 2 nights at the Storybook resort-my extended family ages 9-42. We had 3 rooms in the hillside building. We have been visiting the White Mtn. area almost annually for about 20 years, and usually stay in North Conway. This resort is approximately 10 miles from town (and the outlets!), right off rt. 302, formally a Best Western. We found the staff particularly friendly and accommodating. This was especially true when my sister had to change her room due to a moldy/mildew smell. She was quickly changed to another room in the same building on the 2nd floor, where the smell was greatly reduced. It rained all weekend, so this probably added to the problem of the smell. The rooms have 2 queen sized beds, room for a roll-away, a mini fridge, microwave and a patio (ground floor)/covered balcony for the rooms on the 2nd floor. The rooms appeared to be clean, the beds very comfortable. There were some water spots on the ceiling and stains on the carpet--which might be the origin of the mildew/musty smell.
We found the small restaurant on property nice--again staff very friendly. Some of the group used the indoor pool which they liked, there is also an outdoor pool and playground. We paid $165.00 per night which I thought was a little steep. For comparison, we stayed at the Holiday Inn express last year for $188.00/night and the facilities, except for a smaller pool, were much nicer. The price also included a continental breakfast (at the Holiday Inn). I don't like to give negative reviews as I didn't stay in all the rooms at the resort--maybe some of the newer buildings had nicer rooms (without the smell) and our situation was just unfortunate. I would stay here again if I could get a better price, as most hotels in North Conway are very expensive during leaf-peeping season, and we don't really spend much time at the hotel anyway.
Again, I have to compliment the staff, everyone from the front desk to housekeeping, was very nice.

• Stayed October 2005
7 Thank geekie
Reviewed 8 September 2004

Although the staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful, we found that the rooms were too old and not updated. The towels were very rough and we could not use them on our face (too scratchy). The bed was very uncomfortable and the shower wasn't too bad. The room was a bit pricey! We certainly did not get what we paid for!!

However, the location of Storybook Resort is in a perfect location as it is conviently located to anywhere you may need to go

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen
Hampton Inn & Suites North Conway
Lodge at Jackson Village
The Inn at Thorn Hill & Spa
Red Jacket Mountain View Resort & Water Park
Nordic Village Resort
Nordic Village Resort
#3 of 12 in Bartlett
Attitash Grand Summit Hotel

Been to Storybook Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!