“Worst New Hampshire Hotel Experience We Ever Had”

Storybook Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 5 Glen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We decided to go to New Hampshire on Labor Day weekend. We left early Saturday morning and for the first time had not made a reservation in advance. My husband and I travel to New Hampshire three or four times a year and have been doing so for almost 20 years. I will have to say that our stay at Storybook Resort was the worst hotel that we have ever stayed in, and we have stayed in many different hotels over the years. To start with the room had an absolutly terrible odor. It was a musty smell and the smell was even worse in the hallway. Everything in the room was damp and dirty. I would not walk on the rug without my shoes on. There were cobwebs in the bathroom, mold in the shower, and we had to kill a few live bugs crawling on the rug. The towels were so old they felt more like sandpaper than cloth. To make matters worse we payed $165.00 for the night. This was our worst New Hampshire hotel experience ever. We now know never to stay at this property again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank cath1728

Reviewed 5 August 2007

It seems that travelers are split 50-50 on this hotel. I reached Glen, NH at 7 PM on a Saturday and this was the only hotel out of 2 dozen that I drove past that had "Vacancy" so I had little choice. Happily, I had a very good experience.

I stayed on the second floor of a 2-story building on top of the hill. The hotel must have at least 5 separate buildings so maybe some are run-down and some are nice (explaining why some reviews are positive and some are negative). My room was very nice. The room and bathroom were immaculate. There was a nice balcony. The building was in a quiet location and the hotel was very quiet. By morning the "No vacancy" sign was lit so I know that the hotel was full. My room was very large and had a nice TV with lots of channels including Weather Channel with local forecast. The bed was the most comfortable that I'd had in quite a few years. The in-room refrigerator was quiet.

The only downsides: No internet; no free local calls; no breakfast. At $171 for one night, I considered it expensive. But there literally wasn't another place in town so they could charge what the market would bear. I'd definitely return if I could do some pre-planning and get a price break.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank TravelingMan446
Reviewed 30 July 2007

We stayed up there with two families and booked at the last moment and were able to get two rooms side-by-side.
The hotel was OK, rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was very friendly and helpful.
The outdoor pool needed some sprucing up but the indoor pool was great and the kids loved it.
The grounds were good and it was a plus having a playground for the kids.
The restaurant was "closed for renovations" so we had to venture out for food (no mention of this on their website) but the staff was very good at recommending a couple of family friendly places in the immediate area.
The staff was great and they went above and beyond to make your stay a pleasant one.
Overall, I think that this place is a decent choice to stay with your family especially with Storyland right around the corner (about five minutes away by car).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank jjt34
Reviewed 19 July 2007

In all fairness this hotel is rough at best!
We drove up from Mansfield, MA and had 2 kids in tow ages 2 and 4.
They loved being in a hotel for the night but my husband and I were definitly not thrilled with the uncomfortable, hard "mattress" or was that a box spring being passed off as a mattress that we slept on?
The place was in deed very musty smelling and left a lot to be desired as far as cleanliness was concerned.
The walls were thin as paper so we heard everything that was going on inthe room next door and the loud voices outside our window .
So much for trying to save a buck!!! I would much rather have spent a little more.
The only upside is that I not knowing it would be this crowded to get lodging near Story Land waited too late to get a room. It was good that we could get a room and still take our planned trip although this hotel is in desperate need of upgrades!!!
The resteraunt on the grounds was sooooo pathetic we just got up and left ! Good thing too because we went right around the corner and found Red Foxx resteraunt and they had the BEST FRESHEST MOST DELICIOUS ALL YOU CAN EAT BREAKFAST I'VE HAD IN MANY YEARS!!!!!
The resteraunt definitly made the trip worth while.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank Quittrippin
Reviewed 15 August 2006

I used to live in this area and have driven by this place a million times. It always looked great from the highway, on a hillside with the pool area all lit up and so on. I have since moved away, but recently returned on a family vacation to take my kids to Storyland (virtually next door).

Let me tell you, any niceness quickly disipates when you drive in and start looking more closely. The place is just in a state of complete disrepair and neglect. Peeling paint, unkept grounds and it only gets worse when you get to the room. The musty room contained furniture and carpeting that should have been replaced at least 25 yrs ago. The mattresses were completely shot; I could literally feel the springs poking me, not to mention very loud creaking whenever anybody moved a muscle (including my 6 yr. old!!). Everything just looked and felt dirty. Cobwebs in the entry-way; a rusted out patio table and chairs on a broken concrete slab surrounded by weeds outside our room; dirty windows we couldn't open.

The bottom of the indoor pool was covered with what looked like algae but I couldn't be sure. The outside pool had a lot of dead bugs floating on the surface and at least a couple of bandaids. The outdoor hot tub obviously was out of service for a verrry long time and there were larvae and insects swimming in it that I could not identify. I am NOT kidding about this!!! If it's broken they could at least cover it with a piece of plywood. My little girl walked up to it and was going to put her foot in it!!!

After a completely sleepness night feeling like bed bugs were biting me (admitedly it was probably my imagination), we were going to get the heck out of there first thing in the morning. But guess what? The office doesn't open until 8am. What place has NOBODY on duty until 8am! At 8 o'clock sharp I checked out and the girl behind the desk was going to charge me $20 for checking out a day early! After I made a bit of a fuss she didn't charge me. I didn't get into all my complaints since she was just a kid and I did her job at a hotel many, many years ago. And, I figured 'what's the point'?

By now the kids were hungry and we wanted to get to Storyland when it opened, so we made our final stupid mistake by trying their on-site restaurant (which also doesn't open till 8). Again, it probably was a nice place about 20 yrs ago when somebody knew how to run it, but it was in about as good shape as the room (well, nothing could be that bad really). Our waitress spoke no English...really, none. I don't know how she managed to even get our order partially correct. I ordered and omellete with diced ham and got scrambled eggs with a ham steak. My little girl ordered frosted shreaded wheats, and got.....well I still don't know what she got but eventyually settled for Fruit Loops.

I have never written a bad review of anything, but felt compelled to warn anybody out there not to be drawn in to this awful place. Oh, and I forgot the price for this disaster.. $150!!!!!! $35 would have been more appropriate.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
10  Thank mrlnh
A TripAdvisor Member
Waltham, MA
Reviewed 25 June 2006

We recently rented 4 rooms in the Poolside for ourselves and relatives. We felt that Storybook Resort was better than similarly priced hotels due to the following:
1. the staff and workers were extremely helpful and accommodating
2. the wading pool for children was great
3. the indoor pool and hot tub were A+
4. it is right next to Story Land!
5. a breakfast restaurant on the property
6. walk to Dunkin Donuts, Dairy Queen, and other family restaurants
7. a playground and tennis court on property
8. we were satisfied with the Poolside rooms ~ beds were comfortable, walk to pool, plenty of towels, clean
We would stay here again with small children.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Burlington, MA
Reviewed 5 January 2006

My wife & I took our two small children to StoryLand and stayed here. I can't even begin to tell you how disgusting the room was. The wallpaper was peeling, one of our windows didn't even have a shade, their was a putrid moldly smell permeating the whole room. In addition to that the carpet was so disgusting that we wouldn't let our children walk on it. We placed them on the bed and carried them out the next morning. Our matresses were so bad that only one of the beds was comfortable enough to sleep in. Finally thinking about the bathroom still makesmy skin crawl. The tub was black with what looked like years of neglect. We booked two nights but stayed only one. If we didn't have the kids with us then we wouldn't have stayed at all. If you think I am kidding or making it up then help yourself to the worst experience you will ever have and book a room here. Wish I had read some of the reviews here before booking. The one good review makes me wonder how many places they have actually stayed.

• Stayed: August 2005
29  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen
6 mi away
#2 of 3 in Intervale
Attitash Mountain Village
Attitash Mountain Village
#6 of 12 in Bartlett

Been to Storybook Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!