“Awesome Find... Cheap, Clean, Accommodating....”

Northern Peak Motor Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Gorham
Moncton, Canada
“Awesome Find... Cheap, Clean, Accommodating....”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Internet find at $45/night. I was expecting (and wanting) a dated but clean place to stay near the White Mountains and that's exactly what I got. We arrived late and the office was closed. They had left us a note & the keys in the mailbox and said we would meet up in the morning.

The room was clean and dated, but it had everything we wanted, including wifi. The ladies running the show were awesome and even the handyman asked me if we had a good stay the next morning. This motel has given me a reason to go back to New Hampshire for more exploring!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaleShaffer

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rockland, Maine
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had to pay with cash the credit card machine was broken. The lady gave us our key and said Good Luck I don't know why there is only one key. When we got to the room a sign on the door said "Do Not Disturb". We unlocked the door and went in the room hadn't been cleaned and the other key was on the dresser. Went back to the office and told the lady, she called the manager. She told him she couldn't clean the room and the place was booked. Then she gave us a room beside the office only gave us one key. When I mentioned to her we only had one key she said yes I know we have been losing keys. The room smelled like smoke curtain on the bathroom was yellow from nicotine along with the lamp shades. Pulled down the blankets and the sheets had stains midway. Went out and bought clean linen for the bed. When we got back the office had closed at 8:45pm. A couple was calling and ringing the door bell which we could hear with a room connecting to the office. I opened the door to ask what was wrong and they told me they came back to their room and someone else was there, it had been double booked. Both couples were given a key. Needless to say the office phone rang all night and we heard it. This place should be shut down!! Oh and the lady that worked in the office told me the owner was in Africa.

Room Tip: Pay the extra!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Peg1958
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We booked a single-bed room, and there was a great deal at $103 for two nights. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. They spoke French, which is nice for Canadians who don't speak English. The room was large enough for the two of us. Style may be out of date a bit, but I do not care at all. I did not have any issues with the wifi but so,eone in another room could not connect.

All in all, great stay at a great price in a lovely area!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The lobby smelled full of smoke. Whomever works there must always smoke indoors all day. Rooms were outdated but clean. My non-smoking room was good. Walls are dark so it has a ‘dark’ feel to it. Hard to find a place to plug in charger/laptop. Good location for the area.

Just a simple lock; no bolt/chain to lock/close door and no "Do Not Disturb" sigh available. Cleaning crew attempted getting into the room prior to me checking out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The first thing we noticed was no pool. Covered over with concrete. The receptionist was sweet, yet technologically inept. The room size was ok, has a fridge, tiny shower/toilet space. The worst part was the creaky floors. I felt so bad for the people below me!!!! We tried to be quiet, but no matter how tippy-toed we walked, it was LOUD. Beds were not comfy. The location is AWESOME. Very close to lots of wonderful things... Mt. Washington, trails, etc,right on the main road. For 4th of July there was a big festival nearby and we think there was a parade, but didn't stick around to see it. We got a discount from the receptionist for the restaurant nextdoor...can't remember the name but my husband suffered from food poisoning from the fisherman's stew.

Room Tip: second floor, or bring earplugs!!, close to the office since there is a good amount of traffic on th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My friends and I were doing a traverse of the Presidential trails, and needed a cheap, clean place to stay that was near the start. We got exactly what we wanted. The room was under 100 dollars, was very clean, and about 15 minutes away from the Appalachian trail head. The staff was very accommodating, and left the key in the door for us, as we would be getting in late and the office would be closed. I would recommend calling ahead if you plan on checking in after nine, as we did. Checkout was fast and easy.

My one complaint is that the beds weren't very comfortable. However, considering that we just wanted a bed for one quick night, I'm not really going to fault the motel for that. I would recommend this place for hikers wanting to get a quick start on the trail the next morning.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Tupper Lake, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Overall: Cheap, clean beds, nice staff, but in a dire need of renovation! I will come back if the place gets a significant overhaul.

In detail.
Pros:
-cheap
-close to the mountains, still you`ll need to drive to the parks though.
-staff were all nice people
-bed sheets were clean. I was not suspicious to go to bed.
-you can get serviced in French (yes, dear Canadians!)

Cons:
-outdated. The appearance of this motel is not flattering at all. The facade, the doors, windows, furniture, ceilings, lights... everything looks like it hasn`t been changed for many years.
-floor was not quite clean. I took off my shoes for a while and when I looked at my socks after, they had got a lot darker in color. Once again the staff seem to try to do a good job, I saw them cleaning and vacuuming before I left but even their vacuum cleaner was so ancient, I could not be easily persuaded it still had any suction.
-Bathtub had some marks, I don`t know whether they were stains caused by prolonged use and I decided not to investigate. Just decided that that day I will not shower.

Overall I stayed here once, but I am coming back only when the owners do some major renovations.True, among all motels in that town this one looked more or less OK. The whole town has that underdeveloped look and there was nothing that was obviously way better than this motel, I can give it that.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Sylvain4302
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorham
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Gorham
The Skywood Manor Inn
The Skywood Manor Inn
#3 of 3 in Jefferson

Been to Northern Peak Motor Inn? Share your experiences!